Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
Closed Account

Sending the k-s2 in - SD card mechanical problem

Well, luckily my squaretrade warranty is still good (until April of next year). I purchased it when I bought the k-s2 used around April of 2021.

An SD card will either not eject or when I put one in, then the spring pushes it back out and it won't be accepted - a mechanical issue (maybe a spring problem).

This problem occurred about a year ago and I filed a claim, but it started working ok again, so I opted not to let them put a monkey wrench on it.

But I decided this evening, that I'd send it in. Especially since the 2 year warranty I bought is running out & since it's a K-S2 then it's not overly valuable....

I decided I would post here, just to let everyone know, and I'll update this thread to let peeps here in the community know how it goes. I think Square Trade sends it to the Pentax authorized repair center. Square Trade is an Allstate company. Anyone that has had experience with them, do tell....

Sincerely,

Michael

---------- Post added 12-16-22 at 04:06 PM ----------

Update: Allstate approved the repair and sent a FEDEX label for Precision Camera in CT. I was actually surprised they reviewed and approved the claim on a Friday evening after business hours.

---------- Post added 12-16-22 at 04:18 PM ----------

Update: The instructions said to install the battery when shipping & even include the charger. But I've already wrapped the darn thing in bubble wrap & have made a personal decision to just send it without the battery. I suspect they have Pentax type batteries to use if need be. Those are Allstates instructions, I'm sure Precision can figure it out.

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 12-16-2022 at 05:18 PM.
12-16-2022, 04:55 PM   #2

Moved to Warranty and Repairs section.

I recall there have been several posts of people who have used their SquareTrade warranties. Here is one thread:

SquareTrade Experience? - PentaxForums.com

We will welcome your feedback on you experience with SquareTrade and Precision.
12-16-2022, 05:15 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Moved to Warranty and Repairs section.

I recall there have been several posts of people who have used their SquareTrade warranties. Here is one thread:

SquareTrade Experience? - PentaxForums.com

We will welcome your feedback on you experience with SquareTrade and Precision.
Thanks for your help & the link!

---------- Post added 12-16-22 at 05:20 PM ----------

One other note. Allstate said NOT to use a drop off box, to hand the item to a person at a Fedex center. The fedex website states that Dollar General stores in my area do that, so off to DG I go tomorrow.

Also, if anyone else has had an experience with the SD card slot similar to my experience, please share....

Addendum: I actually handed the camera off to a Walgreens employee at the shipping counter which is an authorized Fedex place...

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 12-28-2022 at 04:06 PM.
12-16-2022, 06:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Also, if anyone else has had an experience with the SD card slot similar to my experience, please share....
FWIW, my K-1 had a piece of plastic break off an SD card and into the slot. A black poiece of plastic inside a dark slot is not immediately apparent, but I was able to clear the slot and was back in operation.

Good luck on your repair

12-16-2022, 07:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Fuji X10 compact developed this problem years ago. Unlike Robgski above, I wasn't able to find any pieces of plastic in the slot, and the camera remains non-functional. I had Advance camera give me a quote for the repair - it was $150-200, so the camera sits in the closet.
12-17-2022, 11:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
Update: The instructions said to install the battery when shipping & even include the charger. But I've already wrapped the darn thing in bubble wrap & have made a personal decision to just send it without the battery. I suspect they have Pentax type batteries to use if need be. Those are Allstates instructions, I'm sure Precision can figure it out.
Not a very good decision at all:
Every Pentax has inside a back-up (C-MOS) battery.
Longer periods unused without the D-LI109 inside the camera can lead to drain this battery.
With the K-S2 very difficult to repair and expensive.

Also don't suspect they have Pentax batteries. They might ask you for the charger and battery for a reason.
12-18-2022, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

When I had a similar problem, having read of small shards of plastic in the bottom of the SD card chamber, I took a small piece of Blu-Tak, held it firmly in a pair of very fine tweezers, and methodically dabbed it up and down (not dragging it) along the length of the card chamber. Not only did I find and capture the errant sliver of plastic - I also found quite a lot of dust ! In theory, holding the camera with the door of the chamber pointing down and using a rocket blower could have achieved the same end, but for me it meant I was sure I had captured the offending particle, instead of just hoping that I had dislodged it to go elsewhere.

HTH

12-19-2022, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, my K-1 had a piece of plastic break off an SD card and into the slot. A black poiece of plastic inside a dark slot is not immediately apparent, but I was able to clear the slot and was back in operation.

Good luck on your repair
I had the same issue with my K7 once. Not sure if it was from an SD card or something inside the camera, I managed to shake it out and from then on 12 years later it has always worked just fine.

For the OP, I would be leery of sending a working camera for repair, For an issue it exhibited once months ago, and has not repeated.

IMHO if it works leave it alone

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 12-19-2022 at 02:14 PM.
12-21-2022, 08:36 AM   #9
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Not a very good decision at all:
Every Pentax has inside a back-up (C-MOS) battery.
Longer periods unused without the D-LI109 inside the camera can lead to drain this battery.
With the K-S2 very difficult to repair and expensive.

Also don't suspect they have Pentax batteries. They might ask you for the charger and battery for a reason.

Oh well, I did not think of such things. Oh well, I can't un spill the milk....
However, since they are Ricoh/Pentax certified repair, I'd have to disagree as I think they would have Pentax batteries and chargers on hard. It was actually Allstate that instructed to send the battery along, not Precision... Smiles...

---------- Post added 12-21-22 at 08:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I had the same issue with my K7 once. Not sure if it was from an SD card or something inside the camera, I managed to shake it out and from then on 12 years later it has always worked just fine.

For the OP, I would be leery of sending a working camera for repair, For an issue it exhibited once months ago, and has not repeated.

IMHO if it works leave it alone

Well, to be honest, I have not used the camera very much since it exhibited this problem first. So it doing it again, well, it's more of a problem than one might think, IMO.

---------- Post added 12-21-22 at 08:39 AM ----------

Thanks all for your comments/replies to my thread here.
I'll keep everyone updated on this repair.
The only update I have now is that Fedex has reported that the camera is "out for delivery" to Precision Camera today...
I suspect they have some days off for the holidays, so that may slow the repair down...

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 12-21-2022 at 09:05 AM.
12-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
Here's an FYI. I contacted Precision Camera of Texas & asked them if they were affiliated with the one in Ct, and they said no.

There are a lot of bad reviews for the one in Texas. It's unfotunate it has the same name. I even read the one in Texas sends their cameras to Mexico to be worked on... Many bad reviews online of the one in Texas exist....
12-23-2022, 05:45 PM   #11
Closed Account

Original Poster
Update on my K-s2 repair is it is being repaired - smiles.
I think it's a shame that the Precision Camera shop in Ct has the same name as the one in Tx (that gets low ratings)...

I am curious, if anyone has an answer, do they, or do they supposedly claim to, do any other "service" to a camera when they do a repair - such as cleaning the sensor, etc...?

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 12-23-2022 at 06:39 PM.
12-26-2022, 04:14 PM   #12
Closed Account

Original Poster
My update is that the camera is still being repaired. I'm sure the days off for the holidays is slowing things down somewhat also.

p.s. curious, when I browse and attach a screenshot of the image of it's status in this specific post, nothing shows up - (?)
Addendum: Discovered I've used up all my upload space. Now, trying to figure out how to delete what's in there - smiles!
12-26-2022, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I managed to shake it out
Thank you, Lowell! As I mentioned previously, my Fuji X10 has been sitting in the closet since 2017 with the SD card problem. I've looked into the slot many times, seeing nothing, and probing around with a toothpick to no avail. Tonight I put a cloth dinner placemat on the table and banged the camera gently a few times. I never saw anything fall out, but...now the card seats properly! Charged up the long-dead battery and the camera is resurrected Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!
12-28-2022, 02:10 PM   #14
Closed Account

Original Poster
Update: Camera is still in repair status on Precision Camera webpage.

This is the first time, however, that I recall it saying "Repair is waiting for parts on order from manufacturer." The only part I can imagine it needed would be a spring. A penny for your thoughts.... My thoughts are that, if waiting on parts from Japan, then that alone could slow down the repair significantly!

Addendum: Adam, site administrator, has freed up space so I can now upload images. Thank you Adam!
Attached Images

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 12-28-2022 at 03:05 PM.
12-28-2022, 11:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the K-S1, K-S2 and K-70 Pentax used much smaller and tighter motherboards.
The SD-card holder sits on the backside of the motherboard. Unsoldering it will quite easely result in damaging the motherboard itself.

So I think they might change the whole motherboard and not just a spring.