Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2023, 10:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1st aid repairs UK

My KP needs some love. I have been getting "card not formatted" rather a lot and recently have noticed that the AF seems to be out. I just tried calibrating a couple of lenses and they were both at 10 and it still wasn't quite right. John Pye is the official repairer but I had dealings with them and it didn't leave a great impression. Also they are eyewateringly expensive. So, Google suggested 1stAidRepairs and I wondered if anyone had used them, or could recommend one that is reasonably priced.

01-02-2023, 03:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I approached 1st Aid Repairs for a quote to replace/repair the shutter release switch on my *ist film camera only a few days ago.
The response included "cleaning the CCD", which didn't enamour me to them!
When I pointed out that film cameras don't usually have CCDs they apologised, said they'd quoted for a *istD by mistake and reduced the price to £60.
This doesn't seem unreasonable for a professional job in this day and age
I'm waiting to see if I actually "get back into" using film (haven't the prices gone up!) before I decide to accept the quote or not (I can use the cable release in the meantime!).
I'd suggest at least getting in touch, with a detailed description of your problem(s), so's they can make an accurate estimate.
Obviously, as with any repair like this, the final price will be determined by the exact nature of the fault and possibly parts availability … could be anything from a bit of fluff in the slot or on the a/f sensor to a total disassembly and complete board replacement.
I also was left with a poor impression of John Pye when I tried to implement a warranty claim on my K-3iii
Good luck

Last edited by kypfer; 01-02-2023 at 03:45 AM.
01-02-2023, 05:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I approached 1st Aid Repairs for a quote to replace/repair the shutter release switch on my *ist film camera only a few days ago.
The response included "cleaning the CCD", which didn't enamour me to them!
When I pointed out that film cameras don't usually have CCDs they apologised, said they'd quoted for a *istD by mistake and reduced the price to £60.
This doesn't seem unreasonable for a professional job in this day and age
I'm waiting to see if I actually "get back into" using film (haven't the prices gone up!) before I decide to accept the quote or not (I can use the cable release in the meantime!).
I'd suggest at least getting in touch, with a detailed description of your problem(s), so's they can make an accurate estimate.
Obviously, as with any repair like this, the final price will be determined by the exact nature of the fault and possibly parts availability … could be anything from a bit of fluff in the slot or on the a/f sensor to a total disassembly and complete board replacement.
I also was left with a poor impression of John Pye when I tried to implement a warranty claim on my K-3iii
Good luck
Thanks I am wondering whether it may be worth doing a factory reset before spending money but I may have to ask that question in a separate thread. Regarding costs, I had a Yashica-mat and an sp1000 serviced by camera repair workshop in Milton Keynes and they were around the £65 mark. My MX went to Asahi Photo and that cost £135. There was an issue with sticking in cold weather which took some fixing but Peter got to the bottom of it and it is now mint. I love shooting film. I was late to the party and only started with film last year. Bulk loading is the way to go. Bulk loaders come in at about £20-30 on eBay. You can then buy big rolls of film. I got 30m of Rollei retro 400s for £45, that's 30x24 exposure rolls and if you home develop you are looking at about £2 per roll all in. It is a rabbit hole though, as £25 for a film camera is too tempting. I got a Fed-3a (Leica copy), a Ricoh 500rf, a mint Zeiss Contaflex, a Kodak retina ia and a medium format Zeiss Nettar for £25 each. As for my sp1000 & P30, they were free. The hardest part is choosing which to shoot with
01-02-2023, 06:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The reviews on their website are mixed to say the least. I also wonder where they get spares from as Ricoh (and Nikon and Canon) won't supply third parties.

01-02-2023, 10:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Bulk loading is the way to go. Bulk loaders come in at about £20-30 on eBay. You can then buy big rolls of film. I got 30m of Rollei retro 400s for £45, that's 30x24 exposure rolls and if you home develop you are looking at about £2 per roll all in. It is a rabbit hole though, as £25 for a film camera is too tempting. I got a Fed-3a (Leica copy), a Ricoh 500rf, a mint Zeiss Contaflex, a Kodak retina ia and a medium format Zeiss Nettar for £25 each. As for my sp1000 & P30, they were free. The hardest part is choosing which to shoot with
I've still got my bulk loader from "back in the day" … but FP4 is now around £100 for 100ft and HP5 even more, though cheaper options are available, Kentmere for instance, but long gone are the days of cans of outdated cine film like Kodak 4X or Ilford Mk.V at a couple of quid a roll
I too have a boxful of "oldies", several Retinas, a couple of Zorkis and, yes, a 6x9 Nettar + a few others, including a Spotmatic (bought cheaply 'cos it was fitted with an 8-ele 50mm f/1.4!) … for the moment I'll stick with the *ist, I know the seals and shutter are good
01-02-2023, 01:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rollei retro is nice, both in 80 & 400 and that's cheap, foma is pretty good too. Orwo UN54 is gorgeous but its a bit dearer at £75. Are yours folding retinas? I have a 1a that works and a 2a that is away being fixed. The folders are nice. I bid on a couple of zorkis, mainly because I wanted the Jupiter 8 for my fed but they were too dear. As for the nettar, mine is a 6x6
01-02-2023, 02:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
The reviews on their website are mixed to say the least. I also wonder where they get spares from as Ricoh (and Nikon and Canon) won't supply third parties.
Yeah, I am starting to have my doubts

01-02-2023, 04:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Rollei retro is nice, both in 80 & 400 and that's cheap, foma is pretty good too. Orwo UN54 is gorgeous but its a bit dearer at £75. Are yours folding retinas? I have a 1a that works and a 2a that is away being fixed. The folders are nice. I bid on a couple of zorkis, mainly because I wanted the Jupiter 8 for my fed but they were too dear. As for the nettar, mine is a 6x6
I'll look into that Rollei film, if I'm still interested, when my current stock (mostly Acupan 200) runs out, but there's a couple of dozen rolls to go, so it'll be a little while
I recognise the Foma and Orwo names, but I don't remember ever using them.
My Retinas are what's left from a fairly comprehensive collection of Kodaks I put together up until about 20 years ago, when a down-sizing issue meant the majority of the collection was re-distributed.
I've got a dozen or so folders left and a couple of folding Retinettes as well. Some of them have been used very successfully, I might get back to them some day.
I used a Nettar to photograph The Who and Chuck Berry in the Royal Albert Hall in '69 … the evening of the Stones concert in Hyde Park … happy days
I was fortunate, in one respect, that my "lens acquisition syndrome" struck long before the advent of digital photography, let alone MILCs, so when "the rest of the world" were discarding their M39 and M42 m/f primes in favour of a/f bayonet-mount zooms, I picked up a bucketful of what have proven to be very desirable lenses for little more than loose change … might even have a spare Jupiter-8 (lovely lens)
01-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't vouch for it as I have no experience, but Jessops offer a repair service.
01-03-2023, 12:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I'll look into that Rollei film, if I'm still interested, when my current stock (mostly Acupan 200) runs out, but there's a couple of dozen rolls to go, so it'll be a little while
I recognise the Foma and Orwo names, but I don't remember ever using them.
My Retinas are what's left from a fairly comprehensive collection of Kodaks I put together up until about 20 years ago, when a down-sizing issue meant the majority of the collection was re-distributed.
I've got a dozen or so folders left and a couple of folding Retinettes as well. Some of them have been used very successfully, I might get back to them some day.
I used a Nettar to photograph The Who and Chuck Berry in the Royal Albert Hall in '69 … the evening of the Stones concert in Hyde Park … happy days
I was fortunate, in one respect, that my "lens acquisition syndrome" struck long before the advent of digital photography, let alone MILCs, so when "the rest of the world" were discarding their M39 and M42 m/f primes in favour of a/f bayonet-mount zooms, I picked up a bucketful of what have proven to be very desirable lenses for little more than loose change … might even have a spare Jupiter-8 (lovely lens)
A Dozen Folding Retinas? LAWKS have you seen what working folding retinas start at on eBay? More than I can afford! I was lucky getting my 1a (no meter, no rangefinder) for £20, I could have doubled my money overnight the 2a rangefinder model was the first I got my hands on and I fell in love straight away. It has a fault though and i haven't used it in anger. The repair guy hasn't given up on it but its 50/50. Beautiful camera though with a lovely f2 lens. If you do find a box of spare Jupiter 8s, let me know. As for the foma, its inexpensive film. The 400 is a bit grainy but they are all quite benign so you can get creative in post. Its 30% cheaper than hp5 (which I don't really like, yep I am the one in a million lol) but I like it as a cheap shooter. The Rollei retro is old agfa aerial film so is really contrasty. Its very easy to overcook but I love it Orwo are a German company and have been going forever but they arent big advertisers. The UN54 has lovely deep blacks and gorgeous mid tones if you do get back into film, let me know and I will send you a roll of Foma200 and Rollei retro to have a play with

Re my original issue, I got "card not formatted" on the K3 so it could be my cards I am quite happy with that. I would rather it was the cards than the camera

Btw , Chuck Berry and The Stones? That is very cool and very much my era too

---------- Post added 03-01-23 at 12:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Can't vouch for it as I have no experience, but Jessops offer a repair service.
The guy who fixed my MX (Asahi Photo) does some digital work. He wasn't cheap but he is very good and I do trust him. That's an option. Re. Jessops, I know Wilkinson's send their repairs to an accredited repairer, possibly John Pye. I wonder if Jessops do the same.
01-03-2023, 08:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

If you do find a box of spare Jupiter 8s, let me know
PM'd you