Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2023, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is why WD-40 IS A NO

Never use this stuff any where near your camera ,no exceptions. Look what happened to this spotmatic. The shutters both came unglued as a consequence of to much WD-40 take a look. Lucky for this Spotmatic I fix her.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-27-2023, 09:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, keep WD40 far FAR away from cameras.: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-28-2023, 05:38 AM - 3 Likes   #3

WD-40 was developed to remove and prevent rust and corrosion on Atlas missiles. It is also great for getting rid of water in equipment. The name is from "Water Displacer" fortieth (40th) formulation. I use it to remove light rust on my tools. It is also a great solvent for dissolving most "sticky" label adhesive residue or removing the labels themselves. Just make sure the WD-40 is safe to use on the material the adhesive is on.

https://www.wd40.com/history/
02-28-2023, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WD-40 is not a "lubricant". It contains lubricating compounds but goes far beyond that with other additives (as Not a Number described) which can attack & destroy some materials. I've seen some WD-40 fanatics (some of whom worked in the electronics industry and should have known better) who used it on everything only to regret it later. It has its uses, but cameras and lenses isn't one of them.

02-28-2023, 12:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
WD-40 is not a "lubricant". It contains lubricating compounds but goes far beyond that with other additives (as Not a Number described) which can attack & destroy some materials. I've seen some WD-40 fanatics (some of whom worked in the electronics industry and should have known better) who used it on everything only to regret it later. It has its uses, but cameras and lenses isn't one of them.
Guess the guy who owned this camera before me tried using it liberally to loosen the battery cover, lucky me I get to rebuild it. You see even a tiny amount travels all over the place. To tell you the truth it gives me something to do. And I post instructions on how to do it soon along with picture and how to get the timing right.
02-28-2023, 02:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Guess the guy who owned this camera before me tried using it liberally to loosen the battery cover, lucky me I get to rebuild it. You see even a tiny amount travels all over the place. To tell you the truth it gives me something to do. And I post instructions on how to do it soon along with picture and how to get the timing right.
That traveling is one other reason why it is good for some uses and terrible for others.
02-28-2023, 03:30 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
WD-40 was developed to remove and prevent rust and corrosion on Atlas missiles. It is also great for getting rid of water in equipment. The name is from "Water Displacer" fortieth (40th) formulation. I use it to remove light rust on my tools. It is also a great solvent for dissolving most "sticky" label adhesive residue or removing the labels themselves. Just make sure the WD-40 is safe to use on the material the adhesive is on.

WD-40 History | Learn the Stories Behind the WD-40 Brand | WD-40
It's a great rust remover, but sadly, it's a fantastic dust and dirt collector, which is not a problem if you're putting it on a missile.

Very bad for anything electrical.

03-01-2023, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's a great rust remover, but sadly, it's a fantastic dust and dirt collector, which is not a problem if you're putting it on a missile.

Very bad for anything electrical.
Coca-Cola is a good rust remover too (phosphoric acid)! And like WD40 it belongs far away from your photo gear. My dearly departed father's Spotmatic had a 55mm f1/8 lens that refused to focus. When I finally got it apart I realized someone had spilled a soft drink on it which had evaporated leaving hard sugary deposits in every nook and cranny of the lens. Happy to say the lens recovered fully after exhaustive cleaning. I won't touch a soft drink (or can of WD40) while holding a camera.
03-01-2023, 07:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I this ole girl up and running, there are no clear instructions on how to do it quit the leaning curve on this one. How to position the shutters in reference to each other and the wind up mechanism, so as to have the proper timing and slit adjustment, had to unglue the primary shutter and re glue it to achieve this. all well that ends well. I will definitely post a how to documentary on it , incase any one else want to try it. Wow I am lucky meter works like a charm, I am glad had to unsolder and re solder many wires.

Last edited by niceshot; 03-01-2023 at 07:49 PM.
03-02-2023, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Elroy Jetson Quote
Coca-Cola is a good rust remover too (phosphoric acid)! And like WD40 it belongs far away from your photo gear ... When I finally got it apart I realized someone had spilled a soft drink on it which had evaporated leaving hard sugary deposits in every nook and cranny of the lens.
Some would say soft drinks belong far away from people's stomachs for the same reason - sugar, acid and chemicals.

Health advice I've cheerfully ignored in my life, I'm definitely a Coke addict!