Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-27-2023, 08:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens CLA for an FA limited lens

If this has been asked multiple times I apologize. I have the 3 FA limited lenses that I am quite attached to and plan to keep using until I'm resting 6 feet under as it took me many years to assemble this set (silver color, MIJ, special colored original leather lens bags and all that crazy stuff).

Looks like my 77mm needs to have some internal haze cleaned off. I have looked over the list of Repair Facilities stickied up at the top.

Can anyone recommend me, based on their own experience, a particular one or two of them to do the CLA job for my 77mm?

There's no particular rush, experience matters most to me as far as this goes and I've never needed this service before so I'd rather hear some personal word of mouth recommendations. Thanks!

03-28-2023, 04:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had the exact same experience with the fa ltds. Recently the haze (or something) in my lovely silver low serial 77 got to be too much. There was a brief sweet spot where it had this interesting sharp but dreamy quality. I sent it to these guys here in Japan: https://www.nsb-tekunos.com///lens.html
They did a fantastic job. I've heard of folks outside of Japan using them but I'm not sure how it works.
03-28-2023, 07:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
I've had the exact same experience with the fa ltds. Recently the haze (or something) in my lovely silver low serial 77 got to be too much. There was a brief sweet spot where it had this interesting sharp but dreamy quality. I sent it to these guys here in Japan: https://www.nsb-tekunos.com///lens.html
They did a fantastic job. I've heard of folks outside of Japan using them but I'm not sure how it works.
Thanks for that and I'll keep them in mind since its likely their expertise would be worth the effort of sending my lens that long of a way.

Mine are also low serials as well, do you have the special colored bags too? I know most people don't care but I'm a little bit different I guess.

I would definitely like to hear of some regional (US) recommendations based on PF members experience with this kind of service as well

Last edited by gda13; 03-28-2023 at 07:08 AM.
03-29-2023, 02:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Mine are also low serials as well, do you have the special colored bags too? I know most people don't care but I'm a little bit different I guess.
Yes, to the original color-coded bags! A bit heavier and nicer hand-feel, stout enough to stand at attention nicely. Better scuff resistance than the current black bags. First Limited-ever-came in the tan bag. Second Limited came in the dark green bag. Third Limited came in the burgundy bag. Those who play the "three amigos" game know the lens' order of release--mini brain game for us all. I paid "early adopter premium" for my lowish serial number MIJ silver lenses. My bags are being sequestered and saved while my amigos are resting comfortably in the Pentax dedicated tube semi-hard case that holds all three together in one case.

03-30-2023, 10:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Yes, to the original color-coded bags! A bit heavier and nicer hand-feel, stout enough to stand at attention nicely. Better scuff resistance than the current black bags. First Limited-ever-came in the tan bag. Second Limited came in the dark green bag. Third Limited came in the burgundy bag. Those who play the "three amigos" game know the lens' order of release--mini brain game for us all. I paid "early adopter premium" for my lowish serial number MIJ silver lenses. My bags are being sequestered and saved while my amigos are resting comfortably in the Pentax dedicated tube semi-hard case that holds all three together in one case.
That's great! Feel free to drop in a family photo if you should feel inspired to. The Princesses/Amigos/Triple Threat or whatever one chooses to refer to them as are a unique set and in particular a low serial silver set with corresponding color coded bags is even that much more so it seems. They simply are beautiful lenses with beautiful rendering that may be a little finicky or temperamental at times but will reward a patient devotee.

I also have my bags "sequestered" away and use that Pentax tube case which nests them perfectly together. Hmmm someone should start a FA limited lore thread

IDK...I'm thinking I may contact Precision directly because their online "repair" estimator states $484 for this lens, without any ability to select just a CLA service. Does anyone know if a lens CLA (for rear element haze) is a "repair", I was under the impression it is a service since nothing is broken? But honestly I have no reference for any of this so I welcome any input.
03-30-2023, 02:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The gear broke in my FA77 and I sent it to NSB from Alaska back in 2021. It was about two weeks turnaround and the lens came back in wonderful shape - discussed here: Repair report - good experience with NSB-Tekunos repair - PentaxForums.com

And for a simple CLA, Eric would probably take it on - https://www.pentaxs.com/process.html

Last edited by zzaletel; 03-30-2023 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added in pentaxs link.
03-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzaletel Quote
The gear broke in my FA77 and I sent it to NSB from Alaska back in 2021. It was about two weeks turnaround and the lens came back in wonderful shape - discussed here: Repair report - good experience with NSB-Tekunos repair - PentaxForums.com

And for a simple CLA, Eric would probably take it on - https://www.pentaxs.com/process.html
Thanks for those. I sent an email Eric's way a few moments ago just to be sure he's available to do it so we'll see what he says.

Question about the place in Japan. When you email him, do you have to translate into Japanese? Can and does he respond in English? Very curious about this, in case I cannot get any USA based options.

03-30-2023, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I emailed in English and received replies in English, though there may have been some translating going on.
04-01-2023, 08:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzaletel Quote
I emailed in English and received replies in English, though there may have been some translating going on.
Google translate works fairly well for reading Japanese but for writing up an inquiry for a native Japanese speaker to read...I have no clue how well that works. Still its good to know that its doable to work with nsb tekunos if it came to that.

I have corresponded with Eric and I'll be sending him my lens this next week for him to work on clearing that haze off. So we'll see how that goes, he seems quite knowledgeable and experienced.
04-02-2023, 10:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eric does good work - I’m sure you’ll be pleased.
04-27-2023, 08:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well bad news and good news I suppose. I did send the lens to Eric and he examined it and informed me I have separation of lenses in that rear lens group

So that’s that. First time I ever had such an issue.

Good news is that I found another silver MIJ 77mm with serial number in the same range and with green bag, box etc. Price was too good to pass up (less than what I got the other one for many years ago) and the condition is exceptional.

So the 3 princesses are still intact ( I can’t have an incomplete set haha ). Thing is now…do I just keep the other for parts, try to eventually find someone who can do the repair (and at what cost though) or maybe eventually come across a beat up 77 for cheap with intact rear element to salvage and replace the separating one with. IDK just ruminations