Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2023, 10:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

Not sure if separation, fungus, or ??? in D FA 24-70; repair options while in Japan

Hey everyone, I have a D FA 24-70 that has some damage on some of the lens elements in the middle somewhere. Is anyone able to tell what it is from the pictures below? For some context, I was out in the rain while it was cold, hopped back in the car, and my friend turned the heater to max causing a lot of condensation. I decided to try and dry it out with a blow dryer (lesson learned).

I’ll also be in Tokyo for about 10 days next week and was wondering whether I have repair options with a turnaround time within that time frame. I plan to visit the Pentax store to try out some lenses too--would they be able to help? How much would it cost for a simple inspection vs. repair? Would they be able to sell me any spare parts (just the lens group that’s damaged)? Is there a way to schedule an appointment or something similar with them to expedite the process?

Edit: would they also be able to adjust front/back focus for a body/lens pair more accurately than users can through the menus?

Thanks!

That day:

A few days later:

Under a microscope:

Last edited by Nayu; 04-25-2023 at 10:49 PM.
04-26-2023, 01:53 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens separation is unlikely, I think that's more a slow developing process. Fungus is more likely. It depends on which elements the fungus occurs and how easily these are accessible for a guess how complex cleaning will be.

Does the lens motor still work properly? Nothing annoying visible in your shots? Maybe it's best to do nothing.
04-26-2023, 10:27 AM   #3

I don't know if the Pentax Stores still have a tech on-site. If they do they may be able to adjust the focus for you. Turn around time for repair will probably be longer than your stay in Japan and you probably would have to arrange of shipping.

I'm not sure where they are located but you might check out NSB-Tekunos. Do not know if they take walk-in repairs.

Lens Repair Co. run by Retired Pentax Engineers - PentaxForums.com
Repair report - good experience with NSB-Tekunos repair - PentaxForums.com
04-26-2023, 05:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Goodness, if you’re going to Tokyo pack light and plan what lenses and gear you’d like to bring home!

04-28-2023, 04:55 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses! Paid a quick visit to the Pentax store earlier today and they said that it was indeed fungus, and because of the location in the lens it would take $500 and 3 weeks to perform the repair. Not worth it. The fungus area doesn't seem to have grown over the last year though—maybe shining UV light through it then storing it in an airtight box with a kg of silica beads helped? Not sure if the fake science checks out.

While waiting for the repair guys to inspect the 24-70, I did get to try out the K-3iii Monochrome with the 21mm Limited and really enjoyed how it felt in my hands. The grip is more comfortable than both my K-5 and K-1ii, the shutter sounded great, and while I haven't had time to pixel peep the images, they looked pretty cool at first glance. The D FA* 50 which I've been eyeing for a while now was also more balanced on the K-1 than I expected. Hope to try out the 20-40 Limited and D FA* 85 if I get the chance to return.