Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2023, 11:08 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doormat Quote
Whilst the pentax is way way better built, better ergonomics, better menu (that era) the actual photos I’m getting are way behind the 400d…way behind. The K10 AF is just not accurate, the consumer lenses are woefully poor in comparison to canon consumer lenses from the same era, flash photography is frankly hit and miss…..rattle off a series of flash shots and exposures are all over the place.
You are using a camera that is over 15 years old in development terms ! The camera itself may be knackered.

How well do Canon service 15 year old cameras ?

05-20-2023, 01:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Yes, the K10 I have may be at fault?? But if I switch to manual focus and set the exposure to what I think is right I get much better shots.
Using old manual m42 super taks yields some lovely pics with the ol k10d
That being said; when using modern lenses with it the AF was way off—booting into the debug menu and adjusting the AF fixes it, and is easy enough for those that feel comfortable editing in text editors and fiddling around with settings. I like my k10d much better after making those adjustments. (My non-professional theory is that whatever resistors/trimpots they’ve used to fine-tune the AF have simply drifted out of tolerance with time, but I don’t really know)

Also am curious as to what lenses you’re using 🤔

And as an attempt to not derail this thread— I’m terribly saddened/frustrated by the OP’s repair experience and will most likely look to attempt self-repairs or seek out a local option if I need repairs in the future. Still would like to read others’ good experiences if any have some to share.
05-20-2023, 02:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheers for the reply
I’ve now got 5 Pentax lenses
All budget ones tho’

28-70f4
70-210 f4-5.6
18-55 DA
50-200 DA
Damaged F50/1.4

I’d love to use old manual focus lenses but my eyesight is not good enough these days

Last edited by Doormat; 05-20-2023 at 02:51 PM.
05-20-2023, 08:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I’ve now got 5 Pentax lensesAll budget ones tho’
Nothing wrong with budget. I rarely buy new because of my "budget."

I’d love to use old manual focus lenses but my eyesight is not good enough these days
I miss those days. I thought I had a defective MF lens, brought it to camera club, and a friend had no problem nailing focus!

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan_bien Quote
I’m terribly saddened/frustrated by the OP’s repair experience and will most likely look to attempt self-repairs or seek out a local option if I need repairs in the future.
It is frustrating, but I decided not to let it get me down. What is important to me is that the problem gets fixed in timely fashion, and no new ones appear. I imagine that Precision does things right most of the time, or else they would not continue to repair for Ricoh and others. I will focus on that.

Self-repair is always good if you enjoy the ability, and are able to get the parts necessary. As a former laptop technician, several years ago I asked Dell to send me parts to repair the laptop on which I type this. It was much quicker, and I knew the job was done right. I would need to buy a dead camera body to tear down and practice on a while before I would attempt to repair mine. There are some self help threads here on the Forum, and I admire those who dive into some of those repairs.

05-21-2023, 08:02 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan_bien Quote
And as an attempt to not derail this thread— I’m terribly saddened/frustrated by the OP’s repair experience and will most likely look to attempt self-repairs or seek out a local option if I need repairs in the future. Still would like to read others’ good experiences if any have some to share.
Just remember, you are not limited to Precision unless it's a warranty repair. They're the only outfit authorized to do warranty work in the US. Other shops may be able to do repairs. I only have experience with one -- Southern Photo Technical in Miami -- but they are an authorized Pentax repair shop (just not for warranty work). Nice folks, good work. Check out the list of repair facilities for more options.
05-21-2023, 09:40 AM   #21

Precision won't repair K10D. Parts are not available.
05-21-2023, 10:57 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
My advice: if you get a body back from Precision, take two days to test out every single knob, button, and function that you can imagine. These are complex machines, and it is probably not hard to make a mistake, or accidentally damage a component during the repair process, as evidently happened with my K-1.
It applies to other devices sent to technicians for repairs. Oftentimes, they aren't able to put back the components in factory specifications. That's understandable, though, because we're only human. Besides, some companies' technicians have to get trained to do multiple devices from different brands.

I do hope you get your issue sorted.

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Do other camera companies have the same problems with their repair facilities?
Yes, and you'll be surprised how Pentax cameras are doing vs other brands. It's usually related to the quality of components. Even if the technician is well-versed in dismantling, some parts are just not designed to be removed and that's where the problem starts. Mirrorless components are even smaller, more sensitive and more one-off.

Whilst the pentax is way way better built, better ergonomics, better menu (that era) the actual photos I’m getting are way behind the 400d…way behind. The K10 AF is just not accurate, the consumer lenses are woefully poor in comparison to canon consumer lenses from the same era, flash photography is frankly hit and miss…..rattle off a series of flash shots and exposures are all over the place.
There is definitely CCD magic with those cameras.

I had an experience with the CCD K200D, which was my first Pentax DSLR, and the AF accuracy, speed and efficiency is just night-and-day after doing the Fine Adjustment in the service menu. There was a slight bit of learning curve, as with trying any other camera brands, but this forum helped a lot. My experience with the K200D + DA 50-200mm WR was just phenomenal. After the Fine Adjustment, I just got every shot nailed in my BIF shots. That was with an old AF module and a screw-driven lens.

Product manufacturers have different philosophies and their engineers and designers approach things differently, even though the outcomes are usually more or less the same.

You can use the focus confirmation sound and just trust it. The AF point also lights up in the OVF during manual focus. If you want, you can also use Catch-In Focus where you can depress the shutter-release button and the shutter will release only when the subject is already in focus.

05-22-2023, 07:08 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Iron Quote
I do hope you get your issue sorted.

Something good to report! Today when I got home from work I found a return shipping label to Precision in my Inbox. Tomorrow I ship the K-1 back.
06-07-2023, 11:10 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What do you want to hear first: the good news, or the bad news?

UPS is to deliver the body I've discussed in this thread back today by 7pm. That is the good news.

But that is only half the story. I sent in two K-1 bodies at the same time.

After I sent the first body back in for repair of the new back button issue, I received the second body back.

The second body does not seem to want to reliably focus paired with the DFA 28-105mm which has been its lifetime companion when I'm not using a macro lens. I was going to check things out with other lenses until I ran into a more serious issue.

I used the second body quite a bit for the last couple of years for focus stacking. Last night I did a stack, and found out that the sensor is literally snowed with hot pixels, and is no longer suitable for stacking, as the amount of time needed to edit out worm trails from hot pixels is prohibitive.

Here is a link to yesterday's image stack which shows the new problem with the sensor, if you want to see it full size.

I emailed Precision last night about the problem. I await an answer. I feel discouraged.

I sure hope the sensor is not damaged on the K-1 that is due to be delivered today, and that there is no new problems. I don't want to send it in a third time.

---------- Post added 06-07-23 at 01:56 PM ----------

Smaller image for those who do not like to click off site.

Snowed Sensor by Roger 0691
06-08-2023, 02:12 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good news!

This morning I tested the first K-1 body that I sent back in for service a second time for a bad back AF button. They cleaned and lubricated things. The body only had a month to a month and a half use prior to service (on the shelf since 2016), so I suspect that there was a slight misalignment in re-assembly that prevented the button from making proper contact. It now works properly.

It is is once again fun to use! I sent Precision customer service an email in which I asked them to thank the technician who repaired it for me.

I await a reply from Precision regarding the second K-1 body (I had it repaired at the same time) that came back with dozens more bad pixels than it had when I sent it in.
06-08-2023, 07:14 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Customer service replied, and provided me the following info from engineering: If the customer is unable to eliminate the hot pixels from the camera menu, the camera will need to be returned for recalibration The menu location is: Settings->page4->Pixel Mapping->Pixel Mapping This can be run as many times as necessary, usually 2 or 3 times is enough.

Pixel Mapping has never worked for me in the past. I would do it occaisionally, but never several times in a row. So I followed the directions above. Next comes testing to see how well the pixel remapping worked.
06-15-2023, 04:05 AM   #27
Forum Member

What do you want to hear first: the good news, or the bad news?

UPS is to deliver the body I've discussed in this thread back today by 7pm. That is the good news.

But that is only half the story. I sent in two K-1 bodies at the same time.

After I sent the first body back in for repair of the new back button issue, I received the second body back.

The second body does not seem to want to reliably focus paired with the DFA 28-105mm which has been its lifetime companion when I'm not using a macro lens. I was going to check things out with other lenses until I ran into a more serious issue.

I used the second body quite a bit for the last couple of years for focus stacking. Last night I did a stack, and found out that the sensor is literally snowed with hot pixels, and is no longer suitable for stacking, as the amount of time needed to edit out worm trails from hot pixels is prohibitive.

Here is a link to yesterday's image stack which shows the new problem with the sensor, if you want to see it full size.

I emailed Precision last night about the problem. I await an answer. I feel discouraged.

I sure hope the sensor is not damaged on the K-1 that is due to be delivered today, and that there is no new problems. I don't want to send it in a third time.

---------- Post added 06-07-23 at 01:56 PM ----------

Smaller image for those who do not like to click off site.

Snowed Sensor by Roger 0691
Hmmm. Those hot pixels look like they're radiating from the centre. Very unusual.

Customer service replied, and provided me the following info from engineering: If the customer is unable to eliminate the hot pixels from the camera menu, the camera will need to be returned for recalibration The menu location is: Settings->page4->Pixel Mapping->Pixel Mapping This can be run as many times as necessary, usually 2 or 3 times is enough.

Pixel Mapping has never worked for me in the past. I would do it occaisionally, but never several times in a row. So I followed the directions above. Next comes testing to see how well the pixel remapping worked.
Should the servicing have done the mapping/testing?
06-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmmm. Those hot pixels look like they're radiating from the centre. Very unusual.
Not unusual if you are stacking. As you move the camera forward while stacking, the perspective changes slightly. The focus stacking program creates a little worm trail of the hot pixels as it adjust perspective slightly so everything lines up. The more or less even distribution, and the sheer number of them after service is what perplexes me.

Should the servicing have done the mapping/testing?
Required items for testing are most likely trade secrets for all of the camera manufacturers. I'm sure hours are involved to test everything. We know at least one test that is not required for Pentax. If you send a body in for service, best to tell them how you use the camera so they will be sure and test those functions.
06-25-2023, 04:29 PM   #29
Forum Member

Not unusual if you are stacking. As you move the camera forward while stacking, the perspective changes slightly. The focus stacking program creates a little worm trail of the hot pixels as it adjust perspective slightly so everything lines up. The more or less even distribution, and the sheer number of them after service is what perplexes me.
True, I may have just been surprised by the sheer number of hot pixels.

Required items for testing are most likely trade secrets for all of the camera manufacturers. I'm sure hours are involved to test everything. We know at least one test that is not required for Pentax. If you send a body in for service, best to tell them how you use the camera so they will be sure and test those functions.
Yup. Hopefully, the technician didn't damage anything outside of the repair zone.
06-25-2023, 07:36 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update. The pixel remapping too did not remove enough hot pixels, so the body needs to go back in for service. Since I do stacking at 5x, sometimes with pixel shift, I am doubtful that any remapping/recalibration can solve the problem. I could have the same or worse issues, depending from where on the sensor the pixels are remapped. Time will tell.

I sent two K-1 bodies in for service at the same time.

The rear dial on the second one stopped working last night. I am unable to properly review images, and the aperture is stuck on f8, regardless of the lens used. Sometimes the image does not orient properly when I rotate the camera. It looks like I will be without a couple of K-1 bodies for at least a month or more again.

I sent a request in for both bodies to be serviced again tonight.