Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2023, 04:59 PM   #1

SDM motor replacement part

I have a DA* 16-50 sdm and fortunatly the af motor hasn't failed yet.
Lately i've been watching some repair tutorials in case the motor fails and i was wondering if there is some place online where i can buy just the replacement motor and do the repair myself to save a bit of money since it looks quite doable.
If you have any information reguarding privates purchasing these types of motors please tell me.

06-05-2023, 08:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adruin Quote
Lately i've been watching some repair tutorials in case the motor fails and i was wondering if there is some place online where i can buy just the replacement motor and do the repair myself to save a bit of money since it looks quite doable.
If you have any information reguarding privates purchasing these types of motors please tell me.
Tell us all…
06-05-2023, 09:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Sorry, as far as I am aware, no one has succeeded in buying repair parts personally for many years.

It's possible you could find a damaged or broken or "for parts only" lens for sale and use the SDM motor out of that one, but there would be no guarantee that it hadn't already failed itself or how long it would last.

Fingers crossed that you don't have to find out.
06-05-2023, 11:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard from the norwegian repair shop that there are several different versions of this motor for each lens and each of them has different frequencies that they have to be feed by the electronics. They operate on the resonance frequency and nothing else.

So if you replace the motor, usually some new information has to be written to the lens rom, too.

06-09-2023, 08:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Oh,i guess if it dies i'm gonna need to send it to someone.

Let's hope that it never happens.

Thank you anyways
06-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh,i guess if it dies i'm gonna need to send it to someone.

Let's hope that it never happens.

Thank you anyways
Don't worry about the duplicate posts, moderator has deleted them for you.

BTW, welcome to PentaxForums!