Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2023, 04:33 PM   #1

k3 mark 3 overheated main circuit

Hello everyone, I have owned Pentax gear for decades and this is the first time I have had a overheating problem,the camera is at Precision Camera repair and to replace the main circuit board is going to cost me 796.20 ! has anyone had this problem? the camera was a refurb bought from Ricoh web page in Sept 2022. Was wondering if anyone has any help from Ricoh seeing it is such a odd problem on a almost new camera.

12-04-2023, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Harv the Parv Quote
Hello everyone, I have owned Pentax gear for decades and this is the first time I have had a overheating problem,the camera is at Precision Camera repair and to replace the main circuit board is going to cost me 796.20 ! has anyone had this problem? the camera was a refurb bought from Ricoh web page in Sept 2022. Was wondering if anyone has any help from Ricoh seeing it is such a odd problem on a almost new camera.
About 15k clicks on mine and no issues. That would tee me off, I hope you let ricoh know.
12-04-2023, 05:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Harv, welcome to PentaxForums. I'm going to move your post over to the "repairs" section, where some of our more experienced gear-gurus hang out.
12-04-2023, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's the first of heard of this issue. I wonder if being refurbished has anything to do with it; perhaps an error by the technician or a substandard part? It may be worthwhile contacting the Ricoh site from which you bought it and tell them what happened. They may know something about the history of the camera, or be able to guess the cause.

12-04-2023, 07:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So what is the warranty on that - 12 months? I'd be contacting Ricoh & asking them to pay half...
12-04-2023, 07:47 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Harv the Parv; welcome to Pentax Forums.

Ouch. That's an expensive repair.

There has been at least one report of the camera overheating, but not to the point of requiring repair: Pentax K3 III Overheating - PentaxForums.com

The camera supposedly has an over-heating safety shut-down, and displays a warning message ("The camera will turn off to prevent damage from overheating.")

It would be interesting to know the environmental conditions under which the camera was used, as well as the shooting conditions just prior to the failure. Did the warning message appear?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-05-2023 at 07:52 AM.
12-05-2023, 03:46 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
So what is the warranty on that - 12 months? I'd be contacting Ricoh & asking them to pay half...
I stopped buying refurbs from Ricoh because they changed the warranty, earlier you got the same warranty as a completely new item, but since a year of two three, you get 3 months or at the most 6. That is how it is/was in Europe.

12-05-2023, 07:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I stopped buying refurbs from Ricoh because they changed the warranty, earlier you got the same warranty as a completely new item, but since a year of two three, you get 3 months or at the most 6. That is how it is/was in Europe.
That's not good. I'd stop buying them too!
12-05-2023, 09:02 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My k-3iii is rolling strong after close to 2 years now and probably close to 50,000 clicks. Never had an overheating issue but then far too much of my shooting is in dark and/or cool to cold conditions. I also rarely use the screen and if I do it is for things like getting an infinity focus on stars, or a quick check of a test shot to see that the settings are good so I wonder if that may have an effect as I would imagine that the screen would be one of the bigger power draws.
12-08-2023, 07:29 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
@Harv the Parv; welcome to Pentax Forums.

Ouch. That's an expensive repair.

There has been at least one report of the camera overheating, but not to the point of requiring repair: Pentax K3 III Overheating - PentaxForums.com

The camera supposedly has an over-heating safety shut-down, and displays a warning message ("The camera will turn off to prevent damage from overheating.")

It would be interesting to know the environmental conditions under which the camera was used, as well as the shooting conditions just prior to the failure. Did the warning message appear?

- Craig
I winter in Florida and the camera is on a mono pole with a 50 500 sigma lens .Was a overcast day with temps in the low 70's , I took a photo of a bird and shut if off put it back on my shoulder and walked a few minutes and when I took it down and turned back on it was hotter than a pistol and would not turn back on. Removed the battery, it was not hot. So when I got back home and it cooled down tried a fresh battery and still would not turn on. Called Richo and you know the rest of the story. Still waiting for a reply on if they are willing to help pay for this.
12-08-2023, 08:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I winter in Florida and the camera is on a mono pole with a 50 500 sigma lens .Was a overcast day with temps in the low 70's , I took a photo of a bird and shut if off put it back on my shoulder and walked a few minutes and when I took it down and turned back on it was hotter than a pistol and would not turn back on. Removed the battery, it was not hot. So when I got back home and it cooled down tried a fresh battery and still would not turn on.
Certainly seems that the camera was not subjected to any unusual environmental or thermal conditions. Very strange behaviour, especially since the camera was OFF.

It would be great if Ricoh Imaging grants a special consideration with respect to the repair cost, but I don't think they have a history of doing so. In any case, it would be useful to find out exactly what happened to the camera.

- Craig
01-31-2024, 07:48 AM   #12

Original Poster
Well it's been weeks and the main board is on backorder forever! I check the order repair status at Precision Camera and backorder is always pending.Not sure what to do, just keep waiting I guess
01-31-2024, 08:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure what to do, just keep waiting I guess
If it were me, I'd probably pester Ricoh Imaging Americas and Precision with brief daily emails/inquiries. I'd start by asking what is their timeline for repair. I'd do that for several days. If they can't give a timeline, then a week of emails reminding them that you're unable to take pictures today because of their tardiness. If the timeline is unreasonable, daily messages asking for a replacement camera at the cost of a repair, since they're unable to fix it in a reasonable period and they don't give any updates. Maybe even comment (politely, of course) on their social media pages -- Facebook, X, whatever.

- Craig
01-31-2024, 10:23 AM   #14

I stopped buying refurbs. Had three bad experiences with Nikon and their 90 warranty on their flashes. By 90 days I figured out something was wrong but it was too late as they all would thermal shut-down after a few high power flashes. Bad design overall, imho. Guess the original owners didn't like them and returned them as bought them new, but they go out the door again with same issue as refurbs with the hope next person will not find the inherent issue. Even a used lens from KEH cost me for a repair trip as it needed some firmware update for the diaphragm to stop it from stuttering in video. Used plus the repair cost as much as a new lens so the savings was a waste.

No doubt Precision does not stock a main board and seems neither does Ricoh America who probably just stocks new gear or refurbs. A part most likely comes from Japan. Anytime I've ordered from Asia it takes a minimum of 3 weeks, and sometimes another week if some Customs outfit gets involved (Especially the one in LA vs. the San Fran one which is always faster for some reason.). Probably goes from Japan to Ricoh America who then sends it out to Precision. My repair to Precision went via UPS Ground and it took 8 days for shipping travel time alone to them.

When I worked retail in a camera store, the longest time for a repair was with a dropped and very expensive Canon zoom lens that took almost a year to get back. Had to go from Canon USA to Japan for the parts and alignment.

Also, I wouldn't bug them too much about it. We had a customer who gave the OEM's main repair center too much lip service and it made the girl who took his calls angry enough they refused to repair the camera. Got bad enough that they black-listed the camera's serial number. When our boss took it on a trade (and to get rid of the guy), the boss tried to get it fixed and they still refused it by the serial number when they got it. Seems they also pulled some key component out of it to keep any 3rd party from fixing it too. We kept it as a souvenir on when repairs go bad.

I don't know if I would pay half the price of a new camera on a repair. Depends on if the repair warranty is only 90 days (I don't know what the Ricoh repair warranty is having just gone through one myself.) verses a new one at one year. Went through that with a $1000 Epson printer and the print head failure plus the labor at $175/hr. would have exceeded the retail price.

Good luck though.
01-31-2024, 10:26 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Repairs can be a tad slow. :/

I sent off my K1 for a shutter replacement the first week in December, and after a few inquiries, they finally got a shipping confirmation from Pentax Japan on the shutter assembly arriving late this week. So in another couple of weeks, I should be getting it back, 10 weeks +/- after sending it to them.