Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Daymare
Contest Number: 131 Contest Theme: Sculptures and Monuments Lens: Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-5 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Dan R, 07-17-2017, 09:26 PM

Tony Matelli's "Sleepwalker" on the Highline in NYC.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 567
08-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

Brilliantly witty on many levels and hyperrealist both in subject and image. And also surreal with the reference to sleep and dreaming. The angle makes me feel as if the sculpture and I, as viewer, are occupying the same space -- that I need to retreat as he advances. The location with real foliage and pedestrian walkway makes it even more strange because he could have staggered right out of one of the apartment buildings surrounding the High Line. Although not ghoulish, it also has a feeling of the "walking dead" because the figure is not alive (and perhaps a comment on people sleepwalking through everyday life). So many nods to pop culture! While the sculpture on its own inspires many of these thoughts, ironically, only a still photograph could make it feel as if it were truly in movement. A person facing the sculpture on site would know that it is static. But with this photograph, the illusion comes from the impression that the figure continued moving forward and was only captured at that moment by the photographer. Wonderful use of shadows and light also. NOMINATED!!!

Last edited by tsfiddle; 08-09-2017 at 04:21 PM.