Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
contour feathers, ovenbird
Contest Number: 139 Contest Theme: Birds Lens: Kiron 105/2.8 macro Camera: Pentax K-7 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: grey goat, 03-18-2018, 11:47 AM

My son spotted this ovenbird at the foot of a window of our local library. I carried it home, placed it on an old stump in our backyard, mounted my K-7 on a tripod, and photographed it.

Even in death, a warbler is a beautiful thing. Still, I'd have preferred to observe this ovenbird living its furtive life in the woods, its natural habitat.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 465
04-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wonderful detail
04-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbarry Quote
wonderful detail
Thanks, jbarry. I have other photographs from this session in which the detail isn't very wonderful, largely because of what the detail shows. But this image, I think, does justice to the beauty of the ovenbird.

By the way, I see you've got a Cosina 55/1.2 listed amongst your lenses; I just picked up a Vivitar / Porst 55/1.2, and am looking forward to using it more.

Thanks for looking more closely at the photo!

Nath / grey goat
04-12-2018, 03:47 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I know it's sort of off topic and intrusive on a beautiful photo but the watermark name has always been a pet peeve of mine. Especially when it could have been bokeh as in this photo. Would you please make it smaller next time and blend it in with photo w/ transparency or color changes. Thank you for the photo except for the graffiti.

04-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like to nominate this photo
04-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I would like to nominate this photo
04-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
watermark

Thanks, airjames. I debated using the watermark, and I wish now that I hadn't. It is a bit like graffiti, isn't it?

I definitely see your point about the bokeh in the lower left. There's really not that much there, and the bokeh doesn't really add anything to the image except for negative space. Even so, I value negative space, and the watermark certainly doesn't let it do its quiet work.

(On a side note, one of my pet peeves is the use of a title that makes an editorial comment regarding the subject matter; titles that anthropomorphize animals fall into that category. Grrr. I expect you feel something very similar when a watermark seems to disrupt the image, so I understand your reaction.)

Still, I'm glad you like the image other than the watermark!

QuoteOriginally posted by airjames Quote
I know it's sort of off topic and intrusive on a beautiful photo but the watermark name has always been a pet peeve of mine. Especially when it could have been bokeh as in this photo. Would you please make it smaller next time and blend it in with photo w/ transparency or color changes. Thank you for the photo except for the graffiti.