Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
If eyes could speak
Posted By: SPLewis, 09-20-2019, 08:09 AM

I've taken many hundreds of candid head shots for the school I work for, and they all just look like...well, snapshots. But from the first instant I opened the RAW file I knew this one was special. There is a depth of expression here that is just astonishing to me. (I got to know the student a bit in the weeks after I took her portrait, and she was a delightful and engaging person, with a lot going on behind those eyes!)

Attached Images

Views: 2,789
10-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by William Cat Quote
Very good use of available light. I suspect, however, fill light was used, either reflected or small flash. The subject's cap would have put the eyes in shadow, thus the need for fill. The emphasis in this portrait is the eyes. A viewer's gaze will always return to the eyes after having viewed the tats, cap, etc.
Hello @WilliamCat! No fill light was used. Just the nice diffuse light of an overcast day.

10-17-2019, 02:21 AM   #32

If Eyes Could Speak, by SK Lewis

I love this portrait! It really Speaks to me. Such an interesting subject deserves the excellent technique Lewis employed to make this portrait so captivating and memorable. We, the viewers, take for granted the effort and the many decisions made before pressing the shutter. Lewis used an overcast day. Chose the pose he liked. The lens. Distance. Depth of field. The background. And on and on. For all of Lewis's efforts and decisions, they all converge to make a great portrait. Way to go Lewis!
10-30-2019, 08:05 AM   #33

Photos: Albums
I would like to nominate this photo
10-31-2019, 03:56 AM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by William Cat Quote
I love this portrait! It really Speaks to me. Such an interesting subject deserves the excellent technique Lewis employed to make this portrait so captivating and memorable. We, the viewers, take for granted the effort and the many decisions made before pressing the shutter. Lewis used an overcast day. Chose the pose he liked. The lens. Distance. Depth of field. The background. And on and on. For all of Lewis's efforts and decisions, they all converge to make a great portrait. Way to go Lewis!
Thank you for your kind words!