#12 457.72%
#13 152.57%
#14 264.46%
#15 101.72%
Voters: 583. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
VOTE NOW - Photo Contest #158 (Open Theme - October 2019)
Posted By: Ole, 11-15-2019, 08:12 AM

Welcome to the poll for our October Open Theme photo contest! Select the photo you think is the best from among our finalists below:

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.

Views: 10,503
11-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Welcome to the poll for our October Open Theme photo contest! Select the photo you think is the best from among our finalists below:

#1.

#2.

#3.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11.

#12.

#13.

#14.

#15.
Compelling images... #8 for me because I find it more compelling than the rest,.. All are excellent. ...love...

11-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some incredible images here!! It’s going to be hard to choose.
11-15-2019, 06:30 PM - 4 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

On how much post-processing is done, everyone has a different taste on how much editing needs to be done, and where ever that line is that takes a picture from well developed to overdone. But this argument has been since the days of the dark room.

Some photographers back in the day felt Ansel Adams photos were overedited and unrealistic. Look at the difference between the contact print and the final print.

Last edited by y0chang; 11-15-2019 at 06:47 PM.
11-15-2019, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Super set, well done everyone.

---------- Post added 11-15-19 at 05:08 PM ----------

Photography is an art form. For me pressing the shutter button is just the first stage in creating that art.
So it seems that we now have Post Processing Art competitions where the photo serves as a scaffolding only. I know that with digital, processing is a given, but am I the only one who finds himself reminded of "velvet paintings" in the more extreme cases?
At least with film one was limited in what one could alter, particularly with B&W, and the effects were no so obvious.Yes I know, it's personal taste.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 16-11-19 at 12:32 ----------

---------- Post added 16-11-19 at 12:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
On how much post-processing is done, everyone has a different taste on how much editing needs to be done, and where ever that line is that takes a picture from well developed to overdone. But this argument has been since the days of the dark room.

Some photographers back in the day felt Ansel Adams photos were overedited and unrealistic. Look at the difference between the contact print and the final print.

Yes, the black sky is dramatic, but I would have preferred to see the clouds of the original.

11-15-2019, 08:20 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I know that with digital, processing is a given, but am I the only one who finds himself reminded of "velvet paintings" in the more extreme cases?
At least with film one was limited in what one could alter, particularly with B&W, and the effects were no so obvious
Extreme pp will always be well, extreme and can be judged as such.

Film was no different just more cumbersome. Choosing a different film had an effect on contrast; grain; and colour. The same with paper. The great b+w photographers would spend as much time in the darkroom as they did out in the field, or would have a staff member do it for them. Film was no more a "true" medium than digital is today.
11-15-2019, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote

I got to see a huge print of "Moonrise over Hernandez" at a shop in Santa Fe, NM thirty years ago. Stunning photograph. The finished image has so much depth to it.

That was Adams, for sure: I expect he had visualized what he wanted to do with that scene, that negative before he even developed it. Printing was a whole other art for Adams.

---------- Post added 11-15-2019 at 10:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
So it seems that we now have Post Processing Art competitions where the photo serves as a scaffolding only. I know that with digital, processing is a given, but am I the only one who finds himself reminded of "velvet paintings" in the more extreme cases?
At least with film one was limited in what one could alter, particularly with B&W, and the effects were no so obvious.Yes I know, it's personal taste.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 16-11-19 at 12:32 ----------

---------- Post added 16-11-19 at 12:34 ----------

Yes, the black sky is dramatic, but I would have preferred to see the clouds of the original.
I really don't understand why some find these images so annoyingly post-processed. Limitations in B&W? One look at that Adams print reveals otherwise. Film photographers were limited by their skills, imagination, and choices. I suppose some were limited by which drug store they dropped their film off at for developing and printing, and those same photographers would be limited by other factors in the digital realm. Luckily, Ansel Adams, Paul Caponigro, Minor White, Wynn Bullock, and a host of other great photographers apparently didn't live anywhere near a drug store. You can bet they wouldn't set a DSLR to shoot JPGs, either.

---------- Post added 11-15-2019 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Extreme pp will always be well, extreme and can be judged as such.

Film was no different just more cumbersome. Choosing a different film had an effect on contrast; grain; and colour. The same with paper. The great b+w photographers would spend as much time in the darkroom as they did out in the field, or would have a staff member do it for them. Film was no more a "true" medium than digital is today.
Thanks, pschlute, for a voice of reason.

I'd be tempted to say, though, that many of the great B&W photographers spent considerably more time in the darkroom than in the field. Looking at a dodge-and-burn road map or blueprint for negatives of some of the great photographs, it's easy to see how they spent so much time in the darkroom. The great ones knew what they wanted, and they knew what they had to do to get it, and many of them created extensive guidelines for others to print those negatives. That may not be the only way to achieve breath-taking art, but it's certainly a valid way--at least for photographers who know what they're doing.

Last edited by grey goat; 11-16-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: photo title correction
11-15-2019, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As usual, most of these look more 'made' in "PP" than photographed.
"PP" is just a tool, just like the camera or lens. I don't see anything negative if a photo went through "PP" and nothing positive if a photo didn't go through "PP".

11-15-2019, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
"PP" is just a tool, just like the camera or lens. I don't see anything negative if a photo went through "PP" and nothing positive if a photo didn't go through "PP".
That's a succinct way of putting it, edri! (I find myself saying the same things over and over, but far less economically than you just did.)
11-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn! Could you guys and girls make this anymore difficult??
11-15-2019, 11:22 PM   #40

Difficult task
11-16-2019, 12:31 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Wow, these are all magnificent, which essentially makes choosing the winner impossible. Thanks a lot, PF.... Now I'll be thinking about this for the rest of this overcast and grey day in the Netherlands. Can I just say that I agree with what's been said about PP as part of the process of creating photographic art. It's just not my art form.
11-16-2019, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #42
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Interesting fine selection of images, I've picked one that is a little different and that I'd have been pleased if it were mine.

Perhaps an unorthodox judging technique, but every now and again I see an image that compels me to judge this way.
11-16-2019, 01:10 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Stunning shots. So hard to choose.
11-16-2019, 02:38 AM   #44

An amazing selection. I still can’t choose!
11-16-2019, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As usual, most of these look more 'made' in "PP" than photographed.
There was a famous photographer by the name of Ansel Adams who is counted among the greatest photographers of all time. He was not only a great photographer but a pioneer in post processing. In his time this was of course all done in the darkroom and was a lot more complicated and time consuming.

There is also a famous quote from this very photographer: „You don’t take a photograph, you make it.“ As others stated before an image is not created by pressing the shutter. That is just the first step. The image the photographer had in mind is being created in post processing. But that of course doesn’t mean you can take any photograph and turn it into a masterpiece in processing. You have to be a good photographer to turn a good picture into a great picture. Just like Adams did many years ago in the analogue times.

Last edited by alpheios; 11-16-2019 at 03:04 AM.
Closed Thread