Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
HDMI output

One thing that matters to me for video work with the new K-1 is the HDMI output. Could you find out Adam if it is "clean" HDMI output? Many thanks.

Regards, johnmb

02-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmb Quote
One thing that matters to me for video work with the new K-1 is the HDMI output. Could you find out Adam if it is "clean" HDMI output? Many thanks.

Regards, johnmb
I thought I read that it was clean but I can't find where I read it now, sorry

John.
09-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmb Quote
One thing that matters to me for video work with the new K-1 is the HDMI output.

Could you find out Adam if it is "clean" HDMI output?
You can hide the menus completely during video capture on the camera screen.
But you have to deactivate electronic levels, viewfinder grid, AF and an inserted battery with more than 1/3 capacity level.

Last edited by angerdan; 09-05-2018 at 06:09 AM.
12-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #4

I too was able to remove all the overlays and produce a clean HDMI from my K-1. Can't speak to the frame-rate question or the resolution yet. Still working on that.

12-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dotp Quote
I too was able to remove all the overlays and produce a clean HDMI from my K-1. Can't speak to the frame-rate question or the resolution yet. Still working on that.
I think what people really mean by 'clean HDMI' is what would end up on the SD card - no overlays, but also the full resolution, not just suited to the little rear screen, and not compressed any further.
12-03-2020, 03:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think what people really mean by 'clean HDMI' is what would end up on the SD card - no overlays, but also the full resolution, not just suited to the little rear screen, and not compressed any further.
No, "clean HDMI" is the clear definition for the HDMI output without any overlays - just the image from the sensor. Has nothing to do with SD Card, memory or compression.
HDMI - Wikipedia
HDMI Output | Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki | Fandom
12-03-2020, 06:45 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
No, "clean HDMI" is the clear definition for the HDMI output without any overlays - just the image from the sensor. Has nothing to do with SD Card, memory or compression.
HDMI - Wikipedia
HDMI Output | Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki | Fandom
Oh. Okay. I was referring to no overlays and using it for webcam capture and live streaming.

12-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dotp Quote
Oh. Okay. I was referring to no overlays and using it for webcam capture and live streaming.
Well, live streaming has such a low bandwidth the Pentax Live View output should be fine.

But unacceptable for anything of broadcast or commercial quality.
12-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
HDMI - Wikipedia
You've contradicted yourself, Angerdan.

Your wikipedia reference *clearly* says: " Therefore, usable uncompressed video out of HDMI is often called "clean HDMI"

The video to the Live View screen is a downsampled output of the recording to the SD card, it is *not* 1080p.

Last edited by clackers; 12-03-2020 at 04:04 PM.