Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

predictions came true

A couple of predictions I made on pentax forums came true.

1) the full frame would be called K-1. Not sure exactly why but this just made sense in my head.

2) it would be 36mp sensor. This was Pentax's only viable option. 24mp would leave little difference between K-3II and K-1. The wildly popular theory of it being the 42mp sensor wasn't an option as it would cannibalize sales of the 645 series. 36mp is the perfect medium.

Something I didn't predict was the PRICE! Knowing it would be the 36mp I figured a price ranging from $2500-$3000. I have no idea how they managed such a low price but I'm so glad they did and its arguably the biggest talking point of this camera.

02-17-2016, 09:43 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was hoping for a white-album name: just "the Pentax".. ah well.
02-17-2016, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Congrats. That's pretty good. I'm a little surprised at the price too. But in a crowed market of FF cameras, Ricoh had to do something to woo APS-C owners over because I don't think they'll get a significant number of people dropping their Sony, Nikon and Canon FF cameras to pick up this one.
02-17-2016, 10:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I predicted the same as you and was also surprised with price, I was expecting around 2400 USD.

02-18-2016, 02:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Given that Pentax was counting down K7, K5, K3 etc K1 wasn't that hard a guess
02-18-2016, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I was hoping for a white-album name: just "the Pentax".. ah well.
Except that there is already a camera with that name. True, it's a film camera without even an inbuilt meter, and it lacks certain other mod cons, but it was the great-great-great granddaddy of what we see before us today.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I don't think they'll get a significant number of people dropping their Sony, Nikon and Canon FF cameras to pick up this one.
That much is true. I think for most amateurs, the decision to switch systems comes at the point where they go from P&S (including phone) to APS-C or APS-C to full-frame, and once they are within one of those tiers, they stay within that brand or system. More dedicated enthusiasts and true professionals (i.e. those who make a living solely or primarily from their cameras) have their purchase or switch decisions motivated by the need to get a certain job (or set of jobs) done, so the thinking around the decision is necessarily different.

Heie will of course be disappointed; his foray into numerology did not work out the way he'd expected.
02-18-2016, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if I can blow my own trumpet a little here. I did say on 'that other place' that I wouldn't be surprised if the price was $1800.

D8** type specs and d6/7** type price. Not being one who usually involves himself in such speculation, I doubly surprised myself.