Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 03:12 AM   #1

Usb2?

So the specs for K-1 so far says USB-2 for connectivity.

This confuses me, seeing as how the images will be around half again the size of K3-II ones and K3-II is USB3.

Do you think this is a spec mistake, or truly a regression?

Just something I noticed.

02-18-2016, 03:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There should be a technical reason for that.. i dont have any idea, but im sure they have a good reason and at somepoint they will comment it.
02-18-2016, 03:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it’s maybe typo or it’ USB3 but, needs a firmware update.
02-18-2016, 03:37 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
So the specs for K-1 so far says USB-2 for connectivity.

This confuses me, seeing as how the images will be around half again the size of K3-II ones and K3-II is USB3.

Do you think this is a spec mistake, or truly a regression?

Just something I noticed.
It's not a typo, the connector is the smaller micro b type without the USB3 extension. Not sure why the regression- perhaps to make room for other circuitry?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2016, 03:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

AFAIK the achieved data transfer rate is not that different between USB 2 and USB 3, though theoretically USB 3 is about 10 times quicker. A bit like when the internet provider tells you that your ADSL line will connect at 'up to' xxxMbs, where xxx is the theoretical max speed, but of which you achieve only a small fraction of it...

I wouldn't expect any complaints about the tethering speed if the K1 had a gigabit ethernet port; USB 2 achieves about half that rate and also doesn't suffer so badly from data collision issues.

In real world use, I doubt there will be meaningful transfer rate issues, though of course it would be nice to have the very latest technology on the newest camera.
02-18-2016, 04:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's not a typo, the connector is the smaller micro b type without the USB3 extension. Not sure why the regression- perhaps to make room for other circuitry?
I'm certainly no expert in these things, but could it just be possible that the K-1's new wireless tethering capability will make wireless file transfer the de facto method for doing this?

If so, it would render wired transfer a "secondary" method, hence enabling Pentax to make some hardware cost-savings by utilising USB 2 than 3, since most users would go for wireless transfer?
02-18-2016, 04:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have yet to use the USB connection on my K3, so I really don't care.

02-18-2016, 04:52 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by KDAFA Quote
I'm certainly no expert in these things, but could it just be possible that the K-1's new wireless tethering capability will make wireless file transfer the de facto method for doing this?

If so, it would render wired transfer a "secondary" method, hence enabling Pentax to make some hardware cost-savings by utilising USB 2 than 3, since most users would go for wireless transfer?
I wish this were the case, but (a) there is no official support for camera-to-desktop wireless file transfers and (b) USB 2 is still 6 times faster than the theoretical maximum throughput of wireless G; closer to 10 times faster in practice. But someday I'm sure things will change

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2016, 04:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I wish this were the case, but (a) there is no official support for camera-to-desktop wireless file transfers and (b) USB 2 is still 6 times faster than the theoretical maximum throughput of wireless G; closer to 10 times faster in practice. But someday I'm sure things will change
Thanks for the info, Adam.

Paul the Sunman makes an interesting point above.
02-18-2016, 05:02 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks for the info, Adam.

Paul the Sunman makes an interesting point above.
By the way, this part of our K-S2 review happens to sum up the K-1's wireless features pretty well:

Pentax K-S2 Review - Wi-Fi Features | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam

02-18-2016, 05:47 AM   #11
Pentaxian

...(b) USB 2 is still 6 times faster than the theoretical maximum throughput of wireless G; closer to 10 times faster in practice. But someday I'm sure things will change
Adam, can you confirm the WiFi is only G - I thought the specs mentioned N, which is closer to USB 2 speeds, depending on the hardware implementation (number of aerials/data streams).

(From Specifications | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING Wireless LAN Standards IEEE 802.11b/g/n)

Regards,

Chris
02-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #12

Most likely it was a size issue. However I've run across strange incompatibility issues between USB 2 devices and USB 3 ports (as well as the other way around). This problem may be one of the USB 3 chipsets.

I suppose instead of using the standard USB 3 micro-b connector Ricoh could have used a non-standard connector (akin the the UC-E6 connector common on many digital cameras) but then they would have to supply a cable. That seems to be something Ricoh (and other manufacturers) seem unwilling to do.
02-18-2016, 07:36 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps Ricoh's decision to go with USB2 wasn't based on one reason but several. USB 3 is supposed to be backwards compatible but that isn't always the case, especially in older computers. Chances are nearly 100% of end users have access to USB 2 but the percentage for USB 3.0 is probably 1/2 that or less. USB 3.0 has also been superseded by USB 3.1 gen 1 and 2, and USB C.

While USB 3 would have been nice, if USB 2 is a deal breaker for you, then you are in a very very small group, considering all the other features Ricoh put into the K1 especially at the price they have established. To paraphrase a well known saying, You can please some of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people, all of the time.
02-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #14
Forum Member

That's what I think, too. I've gotten the PITA finicky wireless transfer to work with my Canon G7X - so that's pretty much all I use with that camera.. Also saving wear & tear on the card slot connections.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have yet to use the USB connection on my K3, so I really don't care.
Yup, same here. I don't even think I've tested it with the K-3 - and my USB ports are USB-2 anyways.
02-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Most likely it was a size issue. However I've run across strange incompatibility issues between USB 2 devices and USB 3 ports (as well as the other way around). This problem may be one of the USB 3 chipsets.

I suppose instead of using the standard USB 3 micro-b connector Ricoh could have used a non-standard connector (akin the the UC-E6 connector common on many digital cameras) but then they would have to supply a cable. That seems to be something Ricoh (and other manufacturers) seem unwilling to do.
The EU is strongly against supplying cables with electronic devices. They want standard connectors and ala carte cable sales for Green reasons.