Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

There are so many good things Pentax has built into the K-1.

In contemplating the OP question, I realised that for me, maybe there isn't one most "outstanding" feature; I see it in terms of how all those good things come together in one fabulous camera.

02-19-2016, 02:14 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Im really excited about the pixel shift mode with moving object. I'm really keen to see real world test images with the DFA 15-30 attached to K1.
02-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by npc Quote
Some of the previews mentioned that it is configurable.
The 'Operation Assist Lights':
QuoteQuote:
can be switched on and off individually. They are all set to the Off mode at default setting.
Features2 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

The promise of the K-1 to me is:

- improved high-ISO dynamic range (ie better image IQ past ISO 3200 under low-light conditions);
- improved, more 'confident' AF (particularly AF-C subject detection and tracking);
- bigger, brighter VF (easier focussing of manual glass).
- support for panning in SR mode is also nice, particularly for telephoto use.
02-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Lock button
In order to prevent accidental setting changes, the K-1 provides a lock button to temporarily inactivate control buttons and dials. It offers you a choice of two lock functions: Type 1 to prevent unintended exposure setting changes; and Type 2 to prevent operational setting changes."

The control wheels are easy to accidentally turn when wearing bulky gloves in the freezing cold. You'll just need a pointy stick so you can activate the lock button with the gloves still on, but this is a great little button.

The price is awesome - it may bring used copies into my budget a year or two earlier than I had anticipated.

02-19-2016, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
I am hoping that they are a selectable feature.
Off/On is it seems - but low-beam, red/green, and such are probably not. We Shall See..
Listen to me, talking like I have a spare $1800 credit on one of my cards Honestly though, these features almost sell me a camera I never wanted to own! And Adam &c are trying to bribe me with gift cards!! Help?

---------- Post added 02-19-16 at 10:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The 'Operation Assist Lights':
Features2 | PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING

Arrgh - that Outdoor-oriented LCD monitor is a big one too.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 02-19-2016 at 11:55 AM.
02-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
"Lock button
In order to prevent accidental setting changes, the K-1 provides a lock button to temporarily inactivate control buttons and dials. It offers you a choice of two lock functions: Type 1 to prevent unintended exposure setting changes; and Type 2 to prevent operational setting changes."

The control wheels are easy to accidentally turn when wearing bulky gloves in the freezing cold. You'll just need a pointy stick so you can activate the lock button with the gloves still on, but this is a great little button.

The price is awesome - it may bring used copies into my budget a year or two earlier than I had anticipated.
I am with you here. Just this evening I fielded a user problem with the K-3 that involved an inadvertent setting change courtesy of the rear multi-function switch.

Steve
02-20-2016, 01:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The thing that stands out most in K-1 for me, is that it seems to be one of the most versatile photographers cameras on the market. It's the complete package that stand out more than separate features.. It's very much a traditional Pentax camera with the same purpose as most Pentax cameras since the first Pentax 60 years ago.

A photographers camera that has very few weaknesses, built to last, easy to use and offer a lot for the money.

For the price of a Nikon D610 you get a camera that offer many things from D750 and D810, plus many thing none of the Nikons offer.
For the price of a 6D you get you get a camera that offer many things from the whole 5D range of cameras, plus many thing none of the Canons offer.

It's basically if you are specialized in sports or video you can find camera that are much better.
But Pentax has never focused on those two fields, so it should not be much of a surprise to anyone.

02-20-2016, 01:13 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the PENTAX name on it!
seriously I had never imagined that I would ever consider FF DSLR, up till now, I love K-1 , I am hooked.