Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Have this friend with me on the road
so post some pics my man!! and is AF C any better?? on the longest lens you have 70-200?

03-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
so post some pics my man!! and is AF C any better?? on the longest lens you have 70-200?
Im not allowed to yet! AF-C is way better..finally! I have both the 200 and 300 + 1.4 converter.
03-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Im not allowed to yet! AF-C is way better..finally! I have both the 200 and 300 + 1.4 converter.
Does the frame rate change in afc?
03-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Does the frame rate change in afc?
No, it doesn't.

03-02-2016, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im not allowed to yet!
can't you pretend to be Vietnamese?
03-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

No, it doesn't.

Well now I just have to buy it then.

Thanks.
03-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
DPReview posted an article on K-1 with some more samples from a pre-production camera (as @Kenspo said they were not allowed to post full resolution pictures).

CP+ 2016: shooting the Pentax K-1 in Yokohama: Digital Photography Review

Some more positive comments on the K-1 and its capabilities!

03-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

better than the K3/II? As in I can put the 300 on it and reliably get a BIF without too much fuss?

If so, this will be my next camera. while my main focus is wildlife, the crop mode resolution is as good as what Im shooting currently (K5- actually it beats the K5 due to no AA filter). and I would love to have the large viewfinder of old back.
03-02-2016, 11:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
can't you pretend to be Vietnamese?
Tất nhiên

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Well now I just have to buy it then.

Thanks.
Of course you have. Its a lovely camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
better than the K3/II? As in I can put the 300 on it and reliably get a BIF without too much fuss?

If so, this will be my next camera. while my main focus is wildlife, the crop mode resolution is as good as what Im shooting currently (K5- actually it beats the K5 due to no AA filter). and I would love to have the large viewfinder of old back.
Big step forward! And yes, you can!

Its not made for sport/action, but with a fast card, you can easily shot many pics in burst of 3-4 fps
03-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Impressions | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

More samples from pro photographers from the original K-1 website!
03-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

This is all pretty fun. I was wondering about the size and feel ,but now seeing the K1 with other lenses mounted on it that are in my stable, it seems like a more 'angular' looking K10, which I'm perfectly happy about. Always loved the feel of that camera. Looking forward to holding one of these.
03-04-2016, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

Does this count as a K1 picture lol, got to have a closer look today at local camera store here in Edmonton today.

03-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am envious!
03-05-2016, 06:48 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Does this count as a K1 picture lol, got to have a closer look today at local camera store here in Edmonton today.
What's your impression from playing with it? I suppose you didn't take any pics with it, did you?

It suits you
03-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
What's your impression from playing with it? I suppose you didn't take any pics with it, did you?

It suits you

My non important and non expert opinion was that I liked it. There's a difference between playing with it in a store and out in the field using it.

I'd like to have had more time to see what options for the optical display were available. When focus tracking was on, it used a black square to move from focus point to focus point. I personally like the red indicator look but I'd have to use to for a day to get a actual feel for it. The larger view however is nice to look thru.

Tried the 77mm as that is a lens I want to get next, and nothing changes after playing with it. The other lenses i quickly tried out was the 70-200 and the new kit lens. Both felt very solid and felt high quality. I'm not going to say how well they perform as i couldn't save pictures but they felt well made. The new full frame lenses are pretty "large". By that I mean I'm used to apc lenses and I'm sure they are average for being fast full frame lenses.

The third dial is actual nice. I know some have stated that once you setup the camera you'll probably use it less and less and that may be true, but as someone who was using it for the first time it was nice not going thru the menu. Go to dial and check out the grids. Go to dial and try crop. Go to dial and check iso control. We'll see how long term it is but I found I was only pressing the iso button and back dial to adust out of habit. I over all liked the third wheel.

The only thing that was disappointing is that the DA 1.4x tele-adapter isn't fully full frame compatable. With it and the 50-135 there was darker corners, however that said with images to play with I can probably fix some in post. I can safely say you would have to crop no more than 3-4% of the image using that kind of configuration.

The LCD felt secure and durable. It will be nice when working on certain macro shots or when the tripod is in a odd height. I part of me wishes you could make it visible from the front. It's fun on trips to put a wide angle and get a picture of the wife and I, or now that I have a little one and do the "selfie" together. But that's what burst is for and it's digital so it's not going to cost you to take a couple extra attempts.

Lastly the buttons felt very nice. It took me a moment to find the image review button cause I'm used to looking for it in a certain location but once I found it by my thumb it made me feel like it should have always been there. Quick and easy.

That's my two cents anyhow, I think that getting the K1 will be a matter of when and not if. The price will go down but I'm not sure how quickly. The Canadian dollar keeps sinking and camera bodies and especially lenses are going up. I plan on getting the 77mm limited here soon cause it's always better to invest in lenses and when able to I'll purchase the K1.