Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2016, 01:16 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Even though they still are a step or two behind Nikon on AF, i think most people will be surprised to see how much AF has improved compared to K-5, K-3 etc.

Cant wait to add a couple of K-1's to my arsenal
That "couple" thing there really makes it amusing

03-30-2016, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Was my english wrong? hehe :P
03-30-2016, 01:31 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Was my english wrong? hehe :P
No, I just wish my English were "wrong" like yours

I'm waiting for "my precious" copy anyway!
03-30-2016, 02:02 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I couldn't afford two if i had to buy, so I'm lucky there But, seriously, K-1 will do a lot for Pentax! Its a BIG step forward!

03-30-2016, 02:27 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But, seriously, K-1 will do a lot for Pentax! Its a BIG step forward!
what really strikes me in all the interviews with engineers and developers is how excited THEY are - they seem to have been given quite a lot of freedom to come up with clever engineering solutions to make a strong concept work rather than buld a camera around what's easy to achieve, and that really seems to have given them a buzz
03-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Yeah, that is nice to see! I notice the same excitement from top to bottom in Ricoh around K-1
03-30-2016, 06:40 AM   #67
Pentaxian

1/60 @450mm. Nice. That comes from two improvements. The SR and a clean shutter mechanism. I used to get shots like that with the k5, maybe the lower resolution and AA filter hid any softness, but not with the k3.

This is the second comment mentioning the quick positive screw driven AF on non Pentax lenses. My sigma 500f4.5 awaits.

Are we getting an indication of the Ricoh/Pentax world domination strategy? Take proven technology, put it together in a well executed package and sell it for a very compelling price.

03-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
- There is a "dark side" of this whole new world though! It's not for beginners, I can tell. It requires much more effort (and a longer learning curve I suspect) to get results that you could quite easily get with an APS-C camera (my K-5IIs to be more precise and make it personal-maybe it doesn't apply to everyone). Or to put it in a different way: I could get results from my K-5s without bothering and at the same time feeling confident about them... now I have to check! It sure is a system that requires much attention to the last detail, but the final output is more than you could expect and so rewarding!!!
I would love to hear more about this "dark side".
03-30-2016, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I would love to hear more about this "dark side".
My pleasure to elaborate on my percept from holding and trying the K-1.

First of all it’s a camera packed with so many features that requires a familiarization period even for the Pentaxians. The great ergonomics sure help, some of the features are automatically engaged or disengaged, but surely it requires some thinking and effort to properly set up the camera for a given task. I believe that very few K-1 users will just drop in the “P”rofessional or the Auto mode, mount any lens they find and just go out shooting.

Then we come to the various challenges that the shooting itself brings about (the “dark side” I was referring to). We are talking about a large camera with 36+Mpxl that any small mistake or inadequacy will be visible and moreover magnified in the final result! I believe (and I saw) that the smaller formats hide mistakes quite more easily. There will always be tricks to work around those inadequacies like the downscaling we are using even with APS-C cameras or smaller formats of course. But the true challenge is managing to get a wonderful picture when viewed in 100% and be able to print really large when you are using such a fine tool like the K-1 is. If you count in the swallower DOF that really is a new world with the FF and the need for cropping sometimes, then even small details like body position, proper grip and hand holding the camera-lens techniques and breathing right can make a huge different… The use of tripods, accessories or as I said earlier a general better and more pro level planning of your shooting I think will make the difference. I find this a wonderful challenge to be honest and a great opportunity for many enthusiasts to evolve and take their skills to another level. The results will be more than rewarding; I can ensure you about this, even I that I am an amateur photographer and spent less than an hour with this beautiful camera! I took a simple portrait photo with the Tamron 70-200/2.8 (@122mm – 1/40 – f2.8 – ISO 1000) which came up so astonishingly wonderful that I instinctively said WOW when I opened it in PS… The FA limiteds are reborn with the K-1. The DOF and bokeh with a 55/f1.2 lens? What DOF?
I can already imagine other astonished K-1 shooters reactions when they open up some really good pictures!

This camera has come and will create a big wave among the Pentaxians first of all and - to my opinion - every open minded enthusiast or professional photographer out there. It remains to see the final version and that there are no important bugs in this beauty to come to a verdict, but I really believe this is Ricoh-Pentax major step forward and put Pentax back in the game for good! All in all I see the reasons why Pentax people are so excited and proud about the K-1!

PS: There was a "proffesor" as they call him in the store I tested the camera that was playing with it before me... A mature man with the expert look of an old-school technician or professor! As I was waiting for my turn he had taken the camera with his DFA 24-70 and the 31ltd and was taking many photos outside, inside, under various conditions (sun, shadow, light, dark room) etc. The guys from the store told me he is the "professor" he is an entusiast photographer that owns almost every current photgraphic system on the market (except from those he tested and didn't like) and has a great collection of older exotic lenses and cameras. The salesman told me and we laughed, let him finish his test and if he tells you "it doesn't worth it" you can walk away without even bother trying it! After quite some time he came back in the store. Well said the salesman, what's the verdict? After a long pause the proffesor spoke! "Impressive" - end of story
03-30-2016, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

then even small details like body position, proper grip and hand holding the camera-lens techniques and breathing right can make a huge different… The use of tripods, accessories or as I said earlier a general better and more pro level planning of your shooting I think will make the difference. I find this a wonderful challenge to be honest and a great opportunity for many enthusiasts to evolve and take their skills to another level. The results will be more than rewarding;
I think this is only to be expected, we all got a little sloppy with the k-5 series (well I know I did) because it was so forgiving and got a rude shock with the k-3 series, which is not so forgiving of poor technique. The K-1 is a "big boy" camera and I suspect will require a skill set to match to get the best out of it.

There were a lot of early concerns with the k-3 that images were soft compared to the k-5 but once people learned the camera and paid attention to technique those concerns disappeared. I suspect the same will happen with the K-1.

So, I guess it is NOT a point & shoot?
03-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So, I guess it is NOT a point & shoot?
Probably not! But let us wait for the user manual first!
03-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #72
Veteran Member

I am highly excited to see how the plastic fantastics (35,50) will be on the K-1... unfortunately I will have to get them to the party as a transitional solution.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions. Nice to have a "review" of the 70-200 Tamron on the k1. this lens is on my list for so long and seems to be a good choice for the new lens park then.

Do you have some material to share or were you not allowed to take them home on your card?
03-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #73
Veteran Member

We are talking about a large camera with 36+Mpxl that any small mistake or inadequacy will be visible and moreover magnified in the final result! I believe (and I saw) that the smaller formats hide mistakes quite more easily.
The whole point of in-body image stabilization is to avoid this problem. Yes, Nikon and A7r users had this issue when shooting with unstabilized lenses, but it won't be nearly as much of a problem with the K-1. The SR system is accurate enough for pixel shift technology (1 pixel) then it should be good enough for me to get sharp images after 3 or 4 beers.

Smaller formats have to be magnified more when equalizing for final output. An unstabilized 24MP APS-C camera is going to be more prone to show movement than a K-1 with its stabilized 36MP sensor when printed at A3. You have to enlarge the APS-C image many times more to print at A3 than you do the FF so movement (all defects) will be more apparent the larger you print.
03-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
Do you have some material to share or were you not allowed to take them home on your card?
They let me take my card home to play with the files a bit under the condition that I won't share any images, as Pentax have asked them to do. Anyway it doesn't really matter. This site will be full of K-1 pictures soon enough and believe me they will be awesome! And as you saw I only commented on the great IQ of the camera and nothing more. It doesn't make any sense to comment on ISO performance, colour rendition etc when the firmware is just for test-exhibition models only.

PS: The Tamron 70-200/2.8 performance on the K-1 really impressed me and not just the IQ which is great and we know it, but the K-1 hardware and AF performance upgrade this lens. As I told you, all lenses tested perform differently on the new camera and it is a whole new experience! The DFA 150-450 bokeh we discuss elsewhere on PF is so smoother on the K-1 that it feels as different lens too... I can't wait for the K-1 Laboratory on the official website to open and see how every lens performs!
03-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #75
Veteran Member

thanks for the reply, mate.
I saw that they updated the special site to the K-1 with dates when the next things will be revealed. hopefully the manual and the labor will be online soon, haha.
Anyways, do you mean the tamron USD 2.8 version or the screw drive 2.8? (Are they optically the same?!)

Best regards to the "professor"