Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #3106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Now try focusing on the cat riding a bicycle!
I've tried, he refused.

08-09-2016, 01:12 PM - 3 Likes   #3107
Forum Member

continuing to practice with lightroom (got a looooooong way to go) mixed with a little picmonkey for flavor. this is a very bad boy mclaren. i want to thank EVERYONE in advance for your warm welcome to me since i just joined a couple of weeks ago as a 72 yr old rookie. you guys are VERY patient
Attached Images

08-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #3108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Erictator !
08-09-2016, 02:10 PM - 9 Likes   #3109
Pentaxian

08-09-2016, 03:47 PM - 6 Likes   #3110
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Checking in to post a few hummingbird photos. Really enjoyed zhuxyg's shot!

These were taken with the Samyang 135mm lens. It's challenging shooting hummies in flight with manual focus, but catch in focus makes it surprisingly doable. The white background is not photoshopped - the siding under the eave where the feeders are hanging is white and since it was blurred out, it made the background look nice and clean. I did turn up the highlights a tad to get more separation.

Really really loving the K-1 and this Samyang lens is an absolute gem!

On a separate note, I tried shooting hummingbirds with the K-1 and DA*300 with the HD DA 1.4x rear converter. I also tried with the K-3, same setup. The AF on the K-1 was infinitely better about locking on to the birds in flight. The K-3 had a terrible time even finding them and would just rack back and forth most of the time. With the K-1, it immediately saw the birds and then tried to lock focus. Now, it was a bit slow and not always accurate, but I attribute that to the little devils moving around so fast and the tiny DoF I was working with. Just my unscientific findings, FWIW.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-09-2016, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #3111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Checking in to post a few hummingbird photos.
It's a pain to nail the focus on them. Great job!
08-09-2016, 05:00 PM - 3 Likes   #3112
Veteran Member

I keep testing AF with TCx1.4, now with DA70mm ltd.
DA70mm seems focusing faster than FA77, looks like it's better choice for shooting sports.
Panning test, practically from the house door, it's raining outside.
1/25s, f5.6, ISO 3200. Considering that I'm absolutely terrible with panning (read can't do it), it's not a bad start

Attached Images

08-09-2016, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #3113
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was up in Oregon a few weeks ago. I took this shot on a gray, dreary day in Astoria, Oregon. The Astoria-Megler Bridge spans the Columbia River between Oregon and Washington. It was originally shot in Color and I didn't care a lot for it; in Black and White it's a much better image I think.

K-1, HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm f3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
08-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #3114
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Out looking for insects and spiders, but couldn't pass on these prematurely brown leaves.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-09-2016, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #3115

Hummingbirds

These are very nice shots! I also found that FA300 focuses better on k1 than on k5iis.

These were taken with the Samyang 135mm lens. It's challenging shooting hummies in flight with manual focus, but catch in focus makes it surprisingly doable. The white background is not photoshopped - the siding under the eave where the feeders are hanging is white and since it was blurred out, it made the background look nice and clean. I did turn up the highlights a tad to get more separation.

On a separate note, I tried shooting hummingbirds with the K-1 and DA*300 with the HD DA 1.4x rear converter. I also tried with the K-3, same setup. The AF on the K-1 was infinitely better about locking on to the birds in flight. The K-3 had a terrible time even finding them and would just rack back and forth most of the time. With the K-1, it immediately saw the birds and then tried to lock focus. Now, it was a bit slow and not always accurate, but I attribute that to the little devils moving around so fast and the tiny DoF I was working with. Just my unscientific findings, FWIW.
08-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #3116
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I keep testing AF with TCx1.4, now with DA70mm ltd.
DA70mm seems focusing faster than FA77, looks like it's better choice for shooting sports.
Panning test, practically from the house door, it's raining outside.
1/25s, f5.6, ISO 3200. Considering that I'm absolutely terrible with panning (read can't do it), it's not a bad start
Absolutely terrible eh? For a snapshot from the front door there's plenty of detail in the car and the blur of the background looks excellent mate.

I've a soft spot for the DA70, it's a bit of an underdog at times but I'm never disappointed with what it can produce. The K-1 and the DA70 images look particularly nice, if not across the entire image then definitely the parts that count.

Tas
08-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #3117
Forum Member

One of my favorite subjects are old grain elevators. This one is located in the hamlet of Skiddy, Kansas. Made with my Pentax K1 with a Pentax D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-09-2016, 09:49 PM - 9 Likes   #3118
Pentaxian

08-09-2016, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #3119

Like a Boss! Lovely shots
08-10-2016, 12:19 AM   #3120

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
What a spot to drive, or visit, or photograph. Where?
Thanks - it was on the jasper park highway heading either to or from Banff if memory serves!