Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 and fa 50mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-13-2018, 02:14 PM - 6 Likes   #14628
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Level Of Detail

I'm still being impressed with what can be obtained from the K1 and older glass.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
02-13-2018, 02:32 PM - 8 Likes   #14629
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Velvet Rasps

I never realised Rasps were so hairy or had this almost velvet texture to them.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-13-2018 at 02:46 PM.
02-13-2018, 02:34 PM - 6 Likes   #14630
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hello acoufap,
can you tell us about it? You seem to have found the right way of processing your pictures of flowers. Magnifique. Bravo.
I appreciate you like my pictures of flowers - thank you!

Unfortunately there's no simple answer to your question.

Everything starts with seeing and thinking about the whole process and tools from capture to result. Let me start with the story of the latest pictures - a tale about the tulip images ... (sorry, became a bit stretched)

Scenery

I saw this nice bouquet of tulips standing in a vase on the table. Through the windows natural indirect light came from above and from the side showing some of the petals textures - nice, I thought. Asked my wife where the tulips come from - "our neighbours brought them this morning" she said! Next thought - I have to take some pictures.

The circumstances for the captures I had in mind simply were perfect. I only had to turn the vase to an angle that allowed me to photograph the special subject / views as previsioned. In other cases I sometimes use some light formers (reflectors etc.) and/or flash to get the direction and quality of light I need.

Equipment & Capture

In such a situation I don't need to be fast. I take the K-1 plus DFA100WR, sometimes complemented by the DA TC1.4x and/or a macro achromat. Camera setup mounted on a tripod with ballhead and marco rail.

I love to use the K-1 flexible screen and if I don't need a flash I'm able to use ES and/or PSR. So I compose and set the focus point based on the K-1 screen. I consider the histogram to expose to the right to get the most details. Depending on the subject I choose the aperture or make exposures of the same scene using different apertures to select the best later. Sometimes the macro rail comes into play if I decide to do focus stacking to get a deep depth of field for macros. I always shoot dng raw. That offers most flexibilty in post.

Post Processing

My main raw converter is Capture One Pro (C1P). Most of the time I have a clear perception how the final picture should look like. IMO to get there you should know the tools of your raw converter very well. My advice would be, don't change your raw converter too often. Stick with yours, learn how the converter's tools behave and learn some basics about color models and color management, experiment, collect experiences. Then you should be able to work efficiently with your raw converter.

I don't have a standard recipe to get a great picture out of my raw converter. After some years working with C1P I nearly use all development tools. Which ones depends on my perception, the capture and what adjustments I think are appropriate. So it doesn't make sense to me to enumerate all the available tools. But I like to mention C1P's layers tool that I like very much to do local adjustments. Do I use presets/styles? Yes, sometimes. They are also a great source to learn how they yield their results.

An example of development

The PSR capture of this image IMO already was good. I pushed exposure up 1/3 EV, added a slight rgb and luma curve, recovered highlights to make the structures in these areas more visible, pushed contrast slightly and raised clarity and structures (micro contrast). A little bit of sharpening.

While working on this capture I thought I could have done the composition in another way. That sometimes happens. You see something special and change composition in post. In this case I wanted to crop and turn the view. Here's the result that I like very much.

Could I answer your question?

If you are interested in C1P I can recommend the YouTube Webinars and Sascha Erni's Book about Capture One that conveys a deeper understanding of this raw converter and its management tools.

Last edited by acoufap; 02-13-2018 at 09:57 PM.
02-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #14631
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eric, smart move to go south; and smart move to buy that Irix; love the plane shots; really like those fence photos.
Kerrowdown, superb detail.
acoufap
, excellent answer and very well written. Love your composition change in post.
Best Regards, Bob
02-13-2018, 07:01 PM - 11 Likes   #14632
Site Supporter

Here's a couple I took last night with the K1 and an Astrotech AT65Q telescope on an iOptron SmartEQ Pro. The telescope is a 420mm f/6.5 quadruplet refractor with an integrated field flattener. I cropped the first one some. Both have 5 minutes worth of processing and have been resized.

Attached Images

02-13-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #14633
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Here's a couple I took last night with the K1 and an Astrotech AT65Q telescope on an iOptron SmartEQ Pro. The telescope is a 420mm f/6.5 quadruplet refractor with an integrated field flattener. I cropped the first one some. Both have 5 minutes worth of processing and have been resized.
Well done! Which spiral galaxy (the biggest, not the little guys) in the second image, the Whirlpool?
02-13-2018, 09:13 PM - 3 Likes   #14634
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think Pink

02-13-2018, 09:47 PM - 10 Likes   #14635
Pentaxian

Had a great time shooting with Cecily aka Cece. Super laid back surfer chick who also happens to be friends with my buddy Natalie. Got lots of nice shots. Will most likely be shooting with her again in the near future.

Last edited by LeRolls; 02-13-2018 at 11:28 PM.
02-13-2018, 10:22 PM - 4 Likes   #14636

I took this moment while walking around on the beach.
Pentax K-1 + FA 20-35mm f/4 lens.
[/url]
02-13-2018, 10:25 PM - 12 Likes   #14637
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

K-1, FA31 Ltd, FA77 Ltd.

02-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #14638
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'm still being impressed with what can be obtained from the K1 and older glass.
Glad to see you're sharing your impressions, not to mention restraining yourself...
02-14-2018, 02:18 AM - 9 Likes   #14639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Katoomba at Midnight;

02-14-2018, 02:22 AM - 12 Likes   #14640
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple from Herastrau Park in Bucharest (with the DFA 24-70).

« k1 vs k1ii | - »