Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Pentax K-1 Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX @ 270mm 1/500th f/8 ISO 400

08-27-2021, 01:11 AM   #32552
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
About getting up in the morning. Just as about 12% of people are left handed, something around 10% of people are "larks" and about 20% are "owls," the majority of us are something between. Owls can stay awake, alert and productive past 11pm (23:00 hours) with no trouble, but like to sleep past 8AM, sometimes not getting up until after 10AM. The less common larks get sleepy soon after dinner and struggle to stay awake and alert after 10PM, but larks can easily awake and be fully functional before 7AM. Everyone else in my family is an owl, I am the only lark. At this time of year I'm usually up by 5AM and very uncomfortable if I try (and fail) to sleep later. Many studies have shown statistical differences between larks and owls, and most debunk the notion that early risers are "wealthy, wealthy and wise." In fact, owls are statistically smarter, more creative, wealthier and possibly more stress-free.. It is generally very difficult to shift your intrinsic wake/sleep rhythm.
I very much doubt that its innate. However people certainly have different cycles. The reason I doubt it is because I know that I have adopted different sleeping patterns, and become accustomed to them, due to circumstances. Saying that without outside constraints I stay up longer and longer each night. As a student I was also most productive after 21 or so. At a previous job I skipped two nights sleep once. At the end of day three I was not very productive but met the deadline.
08-27-2021, 03:33 AM - 8 Likes   #32553
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunset Panorama (FA 31 limited/pixel shift)

08-27-2021, 04:59 AM   #32554
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I very much doubt that its innate. However people certainly have different cycles. The reason I doubt it is because I know that I have adopted different sleeping patterns, and become accustomed to them, due to circumstances. Saying that without outside constraints I stay up longer and longer each night. As a student I was also most productive after 21 or so. At a previous job I skipped two nights sleep once. At the end of day three I was not very productive but met the deadline.
The genetic basis for circadian rhythms is well established. There is no single gene that controls the cycle, but there is evidence that changes in one particular gene are linked to "night owl" behavior, especially a tendency to sleep very late into the morning. The article cited below does not mention this particular gene, but does discuss some of the genetic control of the sleep/wake cycle (=circadian rhythm)

Genetics of the sleep-wake cycle and its disorders - PubMed

I first learned about circadian rhythms during an undergrad course in animal behavior (NOT rat-in-maze). We had a guest lecturer who was a neurophysiologist working on the biological clock. At that time (1960's) the major questions were: 1) where is the clock located; and 2) how does it work at the neurological/chemical level? Those questions have now been substantially answered. It has also been substantially demonstrated that the clock is sunlight-sensitive and is "reset" primarily by exposure to the local day-night sunlight cycle. The "resetting" commonly goes in steps, not all at once. We usually experience this as "jet lag."

08-27-2021, 07:08 AM   #32555
Pentaxian

The genetic basis for circadian rhythms is well established. There is no single gene that controls the cycle, but there is evidence that changes in one particular gene are linked to "night owl" behavior, especially a tendency to sleep very late into the morning. The article cited below does not mention this particular gene, but does discuss some of the genetic control of the sleep/wake cycle (=circadian rhythm)

I first learned about circadian rhythms during an undergrad course in animal behavior (NOT rat-in-maze). We had a guest lecturer who was a neurophysiologist working on the biological clock. At that time (1960's) the major questions were: 1) where is the clock located; and 2) how does it work at the neurological/chemical level? Those questions have now been substantially answered. It has also been substantially demonstrated that the clock is sunlight-sensitive and is "reset" primarily by exposure to the local day-night sunlight cycle. The "resetting" commonly goes in steps, not all at once. We usually experience this as "jet lag."
The last bit about the sunlight cycle is interesting because I grew up near the arctic circle. I guess that might royally mess up your clock. I do feel that that's also a matter of adapting. After one year cycle you're accustomed to the new day/night cycle.

I guess I have to be more lenient with my kids terrible ability to get up in the morning if it's all genes... I despair (from my own position in bed of course) considering they aren't even teens yet.
08-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #32556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was a night owl through my college years, but for the last 25 years have forced myself to wake up between 5 and 5:30 and I would say I am more of a morning person at this point.
08-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #32557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I was a night owl through my college years, but for the last 25 years have forced myself to wake up between 5 and 5:30 and I would say I am more of a morning person at this point.
You may have successfully altered what your biological clock "wants" you to do. I am uncertain how much is known about what causes differences in the natural or innate sleep/wake cycles of humans, Humans are generally extremely variable in their behavior, are very plastic and responsive to environmental influences and can do far more to willfully change their behavior than any animal, SFAWK. Enormous amounts are known about the biological clocks of animals, especially insects and birds. Much of what we know about humans is deduced by extension from experiments in other mammals. It's far more difficult to experiment with humans, but experiments have been run with volunteers under conditions such as placing them in isolation from any cues as to what time it is, or how much time has elapsed to see what kind of sleep/wake cycle they enter. But I don't know about what might be called a "torture experiment." A human is in a chamber completely isolated from external cues, but the light cycle within the chamber is controlled from outside. Test #1, expose the subject to a cycle of 8 hours light, 8 hours dark. Test #2, expose the subject to 14 hours light, 14 hours dark. How does the subject respond? I don't even know if such tests have been run, or if they would be allowed under ethical considerations, or how long they should be run to find out how a human will respond (a week? a month? a year?). And how many test human test subjects are required to get statistically significant data? Working with mice you can have dozens or hundreds of mice being tested in each of hundreds of labs, but can you get more than a tiny handful of humans? Because of the small number of test subjects, there are problems such as: is this human typical or normal? what kind of sleep/wake cycle did this human have throughout their life, and how might that impact how they respond to the experimental conditions? And there are always the behaviorists who will say, as I have had thrown in my face several times: "just because you shown that mice, horses, birds, flowers, and insects have a biological clock that sets their daily rhythm, that proves nothing about humans." It's the ancient "man and the animals" idea. Somehow there is an impenetrable wall that separates human behavior from their evolutionary past.

08-27-2021, 10:46 AM - 3 Likes   #32558
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM

FF Mode • 100 ISO • Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 Limited

FF Mode • 200 ISO • Sigma Art 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Sôle Meunière
08-27-2021, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #32559
Pentaxian

got together with a few friends to do a silent hill nurse shoot.....fun stuff......K-1....FA43....af360fgz....af200fg....cactus v6ii

08-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #32560
dbs
Pentaxian

You may have successfully altered what your biological clock "wants" you to do. I am uncertain how much is known about what causes differences in the natural or innate sleep/wake cycles of humans, Humans are generally extremely variable in their behavior, are very plastic and responsive to environmental influences and can do far more to willfully change their behavior than any animal, SFAWK. Enormous amounts are known about the biological clocks of animals, especially insects and birds. Much of what we know about humans is deduced by extension from experiments in other mammals. It's far more difficult to experiment with humans, but experiments have been run with volunteers under conditions such as placing them in isolation from any cues as to what time it is, or how much time has elapsed to see what kind of sleep/wake cycle they enter. But I don't know about what might be called a "torture experiment." A human is in a chamber completely isolated from external cues, but the light cycle within the chamber is controlled from outside. Test #1, expose the subject to a cycle of 8 hours light, 8 hours dark. Test #2, expose the subject to 14 hours light, 14 hours dark. How does the subject respond? I don't even know if such tests have been run, or if they would be allowed under ethical considerations, or how long they should be run to find out how a human will respond (a week? a month? a year?). And how many test human test subjects are required to get statistically significant data? Working with mice you can have dozens or hundreds of mice being tested in each of hundreds of labs, but can you get more than a tiny handful of humans? Because of the small number of test subjects, there are problems such as: is this human typical or normal? what kind of sleep/wake cycle did this human have throughout their life, and how might that impact how they respond to the experimental conditions? And there are always the behaviorists who will say, as I have had thrown in my face several times: "just because you shown that mice, horses, birds, flowers, and insects have a biological clock that sets their daily rhythm, that proves nothing about humans." It's the ancient "man and the animals" idea. Somehow there is an impenetrable wall that separates human behavior from their evolutionary past.
Hi Walt
This is all interesting
But
The easy way to change your rhythm is having to do shift work, if you don't you're unemployed.

Dave
08-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #32561
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Walt
This is all interesting
But
The easy way to change your rhythm is having to do shift work, if you don't you're unemployed. Dave
I assume you did shift work (not me). Did you need an alarm clock? Did you, after a short time, always wake up before the alarm went off? On your day off, did you wake up at the same time as on a work day or did you "sleep in?" If you needed an alarm always, and you slept in on your day(s) off, then you were not clock-shifted.
08-28-2021, 01:39 AM   #32562
dbs
Pentaxian

I assume you did shift work (not me). Did you need an alarm clock? Did you, after a short time, always wake up before the alarm went off? On your day off, did you wake up at the same time as on a work day or did you "sleep in?" If you needed an alarm always, and you slept in on your day(s) off, then you were not clock-shifted.
Hi Walt

Yes

Alarm yes and wake up early then try to sleep until the alarm goes off.
Afternoon shift is the best shift .. its just like a normal day, just the day is reversed. and sleep is almost normal.

Sorry for the distraction back to the K 1 photos
08-28-2021, 04:44 AM   #32563
Pentaxian

The physical distress caused by shift work is well documented.
08-28-2021, 06:09 AM   #32564
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Walt

Yes

Alarm yes and wake up early then try to sleep until the alarm goes off.
Afternoon shift is the best shift .. its just like a normal day, just the day is reversed. and sleep is almost normal.

Sorry for the distraction back to the K 1 photos
Actually, I found the conversation interesting. I am normally a night owl, with a twist, I also get up pretty early for a night owl, and have always been fine on 6 or 7 hrs sleep max, rarely get 8 or more unless I'm going through something special. I used to compete in a hobby... required travel sometimes to other time zones, and to make matters more interesting, getting up at un-Godly hours so as to have time to practice and begin competition at the crack of dawn. The competition was a tiered even through eliminations and lasted over a week. To add to the mix, the sun sets very late in the flat lands, so we could stay out and practice until well after what would normally be dark for my zone. It never bothered me in the least! I'm not bragging, but am trying to add what adrenalin and a strong desire bring to the table. By the end of the competition I would start to feel the effects of not enough down time, but my sleep pattern is undisturbed and it was a good tired because I was mentally happy, doing what I loved. I guess I'm trying to say that mind over matter can overcome a lot of our natural body clock instincts, especially if it is connected to something that really drives us emotionally.

Maybe not to the same physical extent, but I get a similar rush when I get up early to go catch the incoming tide and birds feeding at sunrise, so it can transfer to our photography if it is a momentous enough event I think.
Eric
08-28-2021, 07:37 AM - 5 Likes   #32565
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 | FF mode | 150mm | tripod mounted | 10 stop 100mm square filter handheld | ISO100 | f/11 | 25s
« k1 vs k1ii | - »