Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Poll on dpreview.

Digital Photography Review
On the left:

Pentax K-1 – what's your favorite feature?
  • Pixel Shift
  • Shake Reduction on full-frame
  • Articulated screen
  • Astrotracer
  • LEDs to help work in the dark
  • The ability to use my old K-mount lenses
  • I don't care, I shoot [other camera brand]

02-19-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No option for "I'm perfectly happy with APS-C"?
02-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No option for "I'm perfectly happy with APS-C"?
That would be my choice if there was that option...
02-19-2016, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

I just like that DPReview is giving the K-1 the coverage it deserves. In the past there has been many a whine by some Pentax users that DPReview is biased against our brand, now with several articles on the K-1, including a very nice one on the long and winding road to Pentax FF, and a full review already in work (it will evolve from the first impressions), I hope these accusations silently die out

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 02-22-2016 at 07:47 AM.
02-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Old" K-mount lenses? What about my current/new K-mount lenses? Maybe I'm just looking for something to complain about, given it's DPR we're talking about.
02-19-2016, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Well, well, well - I'm positively surprised by the attention DPReview is giving to the K-1. I did accuse them (not without reason) of not caring about Pentax, in this case that's obviously untrue.
The poll, unfortunately, doesn't make much sense; for example... I would vote for SR, but that includes Pixel Shift Resolution, Astrotracer and a dozen other functions. And as filoxophy said, some of us have (reasonably) modern K-mount lenses and this can be a decisive factor. But people have different understandings of Pentax, especially if you're not a long time user.
I guess I'll go for Pixel Shift Resolution, because it's new, I just saw the jaw dropping sample at Ricoh Imaging's website and I'm taking the basic SR for granted?
02-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, well, well - I'm positively surprised by the attention DPReview is giving to the K-1. I did accuse them (not without reason) of not caring about Pentax, in this case that's obviously untrue.
DPreview has neglected many Pentax APS-C models and lenses in the past, but I'd like to think it will change as they see Pentax now as the only SLR maker with APS-C, FF, and MF models.

02-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I wonder how much of this is due to the camera or to better marketing by Ricoh? In the past sites like DPR, and many others, just ignored Pentax but perhaps it was because Pentax ignored them? Most 'reviewers' or blog authors have egos that need attention. Without freebies and insider knowledge they feel slighted and quite justified in ignoring a brand that does not play the game.

It is all about clicks to their site, so if a company gives them a little tidbit of inside stuff that is money in the bank when they publish an exclusive or scoop. To be honest it is not different in the print media, if you buy lots of advertising you get lots of coverage.
02-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Digital Photography Review
On the left:

Pentax K-1 – what's your favorite feature?
  • Pixel Shift
  • Shake Reduction on full-frame
  • Articulated screen
  • Astrotracer
  • LEDs to help work in the dark
  • The ability to use my old K-mount lenses
  • I don't care, I shoot [other camera brand]
Crop 1:1 in FF camera + using all my FA lenses in FF mode.
02-21-2016, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I wonder how much of this is due to the camera or to better marketing by Ricoh?
Probably both. DPReview have payed some attention to Pentax, including full reviews of most flagship models, albeit somewhat late some times. And the K3 received pretty good marks.

The Pentax K-1 is simply exceptional in that after 15 years of waiting, it's finally there, and in the broad feature set for a low price point. It's the third (and last) DSLR manufacturer entering the FF market, and even without any Ricoh marketing DPReview would report on that. They write the stuff people are interested in reading, they don't have some sort of bias that would make them bully a certain brand even against the laws if business logic.

And whether Ricoh's marketing has got better, we will see. The teaser thingy, albeit often mocked (by me, too), has certainly drawn a lot of attention (DPReview has reported on it frequently), and the K-1 give-away is pretty smart too.

Now what they need is more, talented ambassadors (especially in certain fields, like outdoor and landscape photography), Youtube videos etc., essentially more viral stuff.
02-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The SR at 5 stops and the crop factor. Don't know if that is enough to get me to buy one, that remains to be seen after some user reviews here, but it seems pretty impressive for a first FF camera.

I'm hoping there are no major bugs, like when the K5 first arrived. I bet they vetted this one thoroughly.
Regards!
02-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
And whether Ricoh's marketing has got better, we will see. The teaser thingy, albeit often mocked (by me, too), has certainly drawn a lot of attention (DPReview has reported on it frequently), and the K-1 give-away is pretty smart too.
I think it has gotten much better, considering it was nearly nonexistent for the k-3. It seems to have a cohesive plan with the k-1, and you get a sense they actually know what they are doing. The teaser thing definitely generated interest. But I think even better is that once the teaser was finished they did not drop it but carried right on with step 2. PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING Which has the same look and feel of the teaser and continues to tease with more content revealed as we move along. An actual marketing plan, rather than a mismatch of press releases and wishful thinking.

Now I am wondering what step three will be after CP+.