Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Teds' price is more reasonable at AUD2799, plus with 2 years warranty
https://www.teds.com.au/search?q=Pentax%20K1&page=1&limit=16&sort=relevance&mode=list

02-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #17

Allowing for gst and the seemingly inevitable small-market premium, I wouldn't have been surprised at about $2800. (heck, the nikon d810 is only $3598 at DCW... and the d750 is $2297). I wonder if Teds will keep to that price. :/
02-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jyndi Quote
Allowing for gst and the seemingly inevitable small-market premium, I wouldn't have been surprised at about $2800. (heck, the nikon d810 is only $3598 at DCW... and the d750 is $2297).

Damn.

The Nikon d810 is $3,195 at Gerry Gibbs. Not sure why CR Kennedy would price the K-1 at the same level. I'm just assuming someone has gone off half-cocked and the price will be rectified.
02-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #19

CRK want to get B&M support so they are posting the rrp ridiculously high.
They want the shops to show customers the features, get the camera into their hands and hopefully be impressed. The shops get business, make some money, and support Pentax.
Competition between the stores will ensure the prices a more reasonable level.
If the shops don't support Pentax then CRK will drop the rrp and sell direct. The B&M stores would only have themselves to blame

02-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera Warehouse, from whom I purchased my K-5 and K-3, have the K-1 listed on their website, but no price yet. Digital Camera Warehouse doesn't list it yet, and neither does Vanbar Imaging. Unlike Ted's, I guess they're waiting to figure out what their margins should be, assuming they stock it. Given that all those outlets have stocked Pentax DSLRs for some years, I've no reason to believe otherwise. Heaven knows what Camera House will do with it, but they did stock the K-3, at least in some stores, and they are pushing upgrades to Full Frame in the local one.
02-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I spoke to one of the State Managers for CRK this morning and he said they've only just received their pricing and that stores like CameraHouse who put up prices for pre=ordering have just taken the Adorama prices and done a conversion to AUD so will have to readjust the price once the cameras arrive. He also said the cameras should arrive in early April.
02-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

You need to factor in our generous consumer protection legislation which imposes obligations on retailers and importers. Maybe you'd want to encourage retailers to promote and sell it. Some of them provide quite a good service which is worth something. There is no camera store that would have the turnover or economies of scale of B&H here. There's also the security of having it in your hands at point of purchase without the stress of it being chucked from van to plane and back again. I'm not in the market for the K1. It's out of my league in both money and skill. But generally with camera gear I do add these considerations together before going online to B&H or Adorama.

02-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I spoke to one of the State Managers for CRK this morning and he said they've only just received their pricing and that stores like CameraHouse who put up prices for pre=ordering have just taken the Adorama prices and done a conversion to AUD so will have to readjust the price once the cameras arrive. He also said the cameras should arrive in early April.

Hmm, doesn't sound promising. Although Gerry Gibbs has a "confirmed price" of $2,795...

---------- Post added 22-02-16 at 03:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
You need to factor in our generous consumer protection legislation which imposes obligations on retailers and importers. Maybe you'd want to encourage retailers to promote and sell it. Some of them provide quite a good service which is worth something. There is no camera store that would have the turnover or economies of scale of B&H here. There's also the security of having it in your hands at point of purchase without the stress of it being chucked from van to plane and back again. I'm not in the market for the K1. It's out of my league in both money and skill. But generally with camera gear I do add these considerations together before going online to B&H or Adorama.

Yeah, me too. I'm happy to pay an extra couple of hundred dollars for that. Trouble is the difference is $670.
02-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazykat Quote
Hmm, doesn't sound promising. Although Gerry Gibbs has a "confirmed price" of $2,795...
The last quote I saw from Gerry Gibbs was $2495.00 so he must have re-adjusted his price.
02-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That sounds right. Under $2,500 sounds too good to be true, but the 'reassurance' of buying locally with service and warranty agreements should not be worth over $500 per unit. It is hard to justify spending that much more when B&H have good customer service even for overseas customers and can get it to us in Oz so much cheaper.
02-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like I'm now officially out of the market for a K-1 as I simply can't justify that price tag.

:-(

Oh well, the K-3 is still an excellent camera.

:-)
02-21-2016, 11:05 PM   #27
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&H offers a K-1 for US$1870 shipped to Australia.
That's approximately A$2600.
Probably the best deal we'll get anywhere at least until it is out in the retail market.
02-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
B&H offers a K-1 for US$1870 shipped to Australia. That's approximately A$2600. Probably the best deal we'll get anywhere at least until it is out in the retail market.
I agree.
02-21-2016, 11:15 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
CR Kennedy now have it on their website for pre-order........BUT your not going to like the price

---------- Post added 22-02-16 at 01:55 PM ----------

CR Kennedy now have it on their website for pre-order..... BUT your not going to like the price.
You're right, I don't like the price considering every other post I've seen about this predicted $2.5k.

This is typical of CRK and looks like gouging to me.

---------- Post added 22-02-16 at 04:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That sounds right. Under $2,500 sounds too good to be true, but the 'reassurance' of buying locally with service and warranty agreements should not be worth over $500 per unit. It is hard to justify spending that much more when B&H have good customer service even for overseas customers and can get it to us in Oz so much cheaper.
I doubt B&H would sell this camera into Australia.

Last edited by bossa; 02-21-2016 at 11:22 PM.
02-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I doubt B&H would sell this camera into Australia
CRK doesn't like competition. But if enough orders were placed, they (B&H) would have to honor them.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-21-2016 at 11:29 PM.