Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 12:19 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-1 Pixel Shift Art Reproduction

I believe that by using pixel shift the K-1 will make itself the best camera for reproducing art. Certainly within the reach of the average person.

Here are some more detailed thoughts on it. Pentax K-1 (The best camera for reproducing art?) | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

02-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi, can you respond at this question? Did you use continuos light for this shoot or strobes?
02-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Hi, can you respond at this question? Did you use continuos light for this shoot or strobes?
This is a sample shot from Ricoh. Since pixel-shift does not work with strobes, its safe to assume it was either natural or some form of continuous light.
02-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No one woul let you use strobe when making reproduction, continuous light you can use but not for long periods. Natural defuse light is best for paintings health.

02-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
This is a sample shot from Ricoh. Since pixel-shift does not work with strobes, its safe to assume it was either natural or some form of continuous light.
I still have hopes someday can be used with strobes, a few second delay between shoots, hot shoe active in every shot...

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It is a 5 second exposure at f8 as well, so whatever the light source was, it wasn't all that bright.
I didnt see the exif, but yeah, with that exif seems like continuos light

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
No one woul let you use strobe when making reproduction, continuous light you can use but not for long periods. Natural defuse light is best for paintings health.
I dont make art reproduction (you dont want my butter finger holding expensive things) , but product photography, i am interested in use Pixel Shift but all my lightning equipment is based on Youngnuos YN560, maybe i could try some Youngnuo YN360 in the future, but i dont lose anything with asking...
02-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Is it possible to get a before/after count-count of an image like the pixel-shift sample above?

I believe a pixel-shift image will not only have greater detail, but may also have greater colour depth. But need a colour count to confirm.
02-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes you can see the difference in the sample provided and you could say the same about static product photography would make a big difference.

02-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just for reference, the flower pic above is K-1 'Sample Image 5' from the K-1 web site:
Sample Image? PENTAX K-1 | RICOH IMAGING
02-20-2016, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Yes you can see the difference in the sample provided and you could say the same about static product photography would make a big difference.
Yes, one K1 (or k3v2), continous light and a Schneider 90mm macro tilt/shift is all i need
02-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Certainly. In pixel shift mode colors are even more accurate, and most artifacts are eliminated.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-20-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
I presume you mean UV-filtered natural light. Museums, archives and art galleries often display works in very low artificial light to minimise the effects of UV, and many now use LED lighting which I understand is devoid of UV.

At the time I was involved with the subject, LEDs had a strong blue spike in their unfiltered spectrum, which was suppressed by coatings but still present to some degree, so their use for accurate colour reproduction may be problematic unless things have changed recently.
02-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I dont make art reproduction (you dont want my butter finger holding expensive things) , but product photography, i am interested in use Pixel Shift but all my lightning equipment is based on Youngnuos YN560, maybe i could try some Youngnuo YN360 in the future, but i dont lose anything with asking...
I was teached in college how to shoot reproductions. I hope to use in product and macro photoset pixelshif too

---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 23:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I presume you mean UV-filtered natural light. Museums, archives and art galleries often display works in very low artificial light to minimise the effects of UV, and many now use LED lighting which I understand is devoid of UV.

At the time I was involved with the subject, LEDs had a strong blue spike in their unfiltered spectrum, which was suppressed by coatings but still present to some degree, so their use for accurate colour reproduction may be problematic unless things have changed recently.
Yes but ten six years ago when I was teached in college how to shoot reproductions LED weren't widely spred.

Last edited by i83N; 02-20-2016 at 02:35 PM.
02-20-2016, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Certainly. In pixel shift mode colors are even more accurate, and most artifacts are eliminated.
The musuems will not be happy then if they are eliminated.
02-20-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Museums, archives and art galleries often display works in very low artificial light to minimise the effects of UV
Only in Australia, it seems to me. In most Australian museums and galleries nowadays, you almost need to bring a torch to see what is on display. Excessively dim light has become stupidly fashionable, even for objects already under heavy glass. But in Paris, for example, you can walk into a bright museum or gallery like the Musée d'Orsay and see Van Gogh or Renoir illuminated by lovely bright [diffused] daylight.
02-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
I believe that by using pixel shift the K-1 will make itself the best camera for reproducing art. Certainly within the reach of the average person.

Here are some more detailed thoughts on it. Pentax K-1 (The best camera for reproducing art?) | Wallace Koopmans Artlog
Art reproduction is all about printing after the initial capture. I would like to know what the limit of the pixel shifted print size is going to be. Does anyone on the PF do digital capture and printing from the capture. I would like to hear what their experience are in terms of the limits of file size and how big you can print a particular digital capture.