Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 02:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-1 no nfc

So no nfc in K-1, although K-S1 and GRII has it.

02-21-2016, 03:09 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
..........LOL!
02-21-2016, 03:26 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Yes, I was also disappointed, since there was a version on display earlier which had an NFC symbol on it, so I was kind of expecting it to have it.

John.
02-21-2016, 03:33 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S1 has NFC?

It's a handy feature to have, but I've found that photographing QR codes is just as fast. Hopefully the K-1 can generate a QR code with its Wi-Fi settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2016, 03:39 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-S1 has NFC?

It's a handy feature to have, but I've found that photographing QR codes is just as fast. Hopefully the K-1 can generate a QR code with its Wi-Fi settings.
It would be for NFC transfer, most likely to transfer images to your smartphone and thence to google photos or whatever.

John.
02-21-2016, 03:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-S1 has NFC?

Yes it has, I triple checked. It's not that I need an NFC, Apple user, just noticed.
02-21-2016, 04:19 AM   #7

What is this obsession with handy features you do understand these handy features incur licensing costs etc which are then reflected in the selling price? If you value sending your photos to your mobile device more than features dedicated to image quality I'm sure there are many options. The sony Alpha is a good example of a jack of all trades camera but doesn't necessarily excel at any one thing. Nah this camera has nailed the feature selection in my opinion.

02-21-2016, 04:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
What is this obsession with handy features you do understand these handy features incur licensing costs etc which are then reflected in the selling price? If you value sending your photos to your mobile device more than features dedicated to image quality I'm sure there are many options. The sony Alpha is a good example of a jack of all trades camera but doesn't necessarily excel at any one thing. Nah this camera has nailed the feature selection in my opinion.
Using WiFi and nfc is not only sending your photos to mobile device but controlling it and reviewing it on much bigger screen. An as for the pice of nfc chips they cost 10¢ for thousands.
And about which Sony Alpha you are talking about because is a huge line of models?

Last edited by i83N; 02-21-2016 at 05:58 AM.
02-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

well I guess not enough people bought the K-S1 for this feature to make it
02-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

You sure it's not the K-S2? The K-S1 doesn't have the NFC trademark logo on the body or in the manual.

But don't they make SD cards with NFC built-in now? Can't you use those?
02-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
It would be for NFC transfer, most likely to transfer images to your smartphone and thence to google photos or whatever.

John.
NFC transfer? As far as I know Near Field Communication is not a technology to send large amounts of data, neither for remote control. It is, which can be quite handy, just speed up the connection process between two devices by physically holding them close together and establishing a WIFI connection between them, which then is used for transfer and control. But if you have paired your devices once this should be also pretty fast and straightforward without NFC. If changing the devices frequently is your thing you might profit, otherwise it is a matter of some clicks the one way or the other.
02-21-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You sure it's not the K-S2? The K-S1 doesn't have the NFC trademark logo on the body or in the manual.
You are correct - the K-S2 has NFC. The K-S1 only had wireless support via the FluCard.
02-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

NFC is handy, but it's absence is not a deal breaker by any means.

But I would be interested in their reasons for not including it. The NFC logo was still on the K-1 body shown at the Paris Salon de la Photo exhibition in November. Something must have changed between end 2015 and early 2016.
02-23-2016, 04:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

NFC is AFAIN a secure communication protocol with very limited range

It was developed to allow pin less cashless transactions (i.e as we are seeing with Apple and Android devices)

Because it supports session setup without pin's etc it is also ideal for establishing a secure link where non existed before.

Once this secure link is established traditional pin required services can be established be that Wifi Access or Bluetooth pairing.

It offers no services itself which to me make this thread a little weird.!

It is similar to wps (wireless protected setup) as far as applicability to a WiFi session is concerned.
02-23-2016, 06:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
It offers no services itself which to me make this thread a little weird.!
NFS is a service enabler, and as you said, just a protocol. But it's handy, ubiquitous nowadays, and uses little energy.

My main interest is why it was there in the K-1 prototype right up until the last minute, and then removed.