Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, how about this. Give us all our inventory on credit with four turns a year and 100% stale Merch returns at 12 months, support 4 events a year by our dedicated Pentax Rep, offer 2 sales contests a year with SPIFF, buy our local co-op tv spots, give us a complete store merchandising display - at end-bracket pricing.

No.

Did I show you how this door works? Here, let me demonstrate.

02-23-2016, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
@Kenspo, mention it to Ricoh!
I wrote to him on Facebook same day the video was out. No answer.
02-23-2016, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Make good on? What did Pentax ever do to you?

Frankly, Pentax is so small in the USA that Jim Malcolm probably IS personally involved in these details.

They're doing much, MUCH better now than they were two years ago. Jim was astonished at how bad dealers relations were and how little of Pentax infrastructure remained when he took over. There was considerable industry buzz that Ricoh should simply go to a complete internet marketing model and broker North America altogether. Thankfully they've taken the long view and are investing the time and effort to rebuild.

A great deal hinges on the K-1. 645z is a signature, halo product. K-1 is a leader product that regular people can actually aspire to owning rather than just dreaming about. Marketing, at least in the USA, is much bigger than merely giving a camera to a weblog. You have to have product to distribute, dealers to distribute it and infrastructure to support the dealers. It's a complete corporate package. They don't have it yet. Ricoh will get there, but it will take longer and cost more than they thought.

Be patient. It's a process.
There you go, being yourself again. First of all, I don't think most posters here know or understand your almost irrational defense of Jim Malcolm (I don't). Maybe he's family to you? You won't admit that, currently, Pentax's marketing is worse than Panasonic's, which is an insult. Fine. The point still stands - you have one of YouTube's most famous photo personalities begging for a K-1 to test, and you can almost be assured that he'll treat the camera fairly (more fairly than DPR, at least). So...
Where's Jim Malcolm graciously saying to Tony Northrup "I've heard your message and I will personally send you a review unit as soon as we can"? That's all it takes. It's obvious Ricoh can't go around giving free cameras to whoever claims to be an "online personality" or whatever. But they should know that, even if it costs them $1400 (that's probably the cost of the K-1 to distributors) and only five spectators of Tony's channel make good on their preorders, they've already made a small profit. And I'm guessing it's going to be quite a few more than that.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not affiliated with Tony Northrup in any way. Actually, I find most of his videos a snoozefest (i.e. boring), and the fact he uses his attractive wife to promote his bland reviews doesn't sit well with me. Still, he has a massive following over the Internet, and caters especially to DSLR users. If he publicly stated that the K-1 was a winner, I'm quite sure there'd be more preorders. How many more I can't know, nor can Ricoh know, but if all it takes is four more purchases at release time to cover their costs, well, they'd be stupid not to jump on the chance.
02-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
In his latest live show edition Tony complains about Pentax not giving him cameras to test. Do you all think we could address that somehow? Are Pentax marketing guys reading our forum? Could any of Pentax abassadors help on that?

Most of us agree that Tony is objective (more or less ) and positive about K-1. It would be cool to have him reviewing the new FF. Come on, as far as I know Tony and Chelsea are next to New York, there must be some K-1 in the near future in their neighborhood

See that at 27 min 26 sec: Tony & Chelsea LIVE: Weather Photography, Photo News and Portfolio Reviews! - YouTube
Not only he is objective he is drunk. He always is in live streaming.

02-24-2016, 01:45 AM   #20
Pentaxian

There is a number of marketing review channels on youtube. Not everyone follows the same channel (Tony&Chelsea for instance). I'm surprise how much coverage the K-1 does this time on reviewers channels on youtube, in such a short time after the announcement. If you type Pentax K-1 in the youtube search engineer, just see how many videos will come out... considerably larger than every Pentax camera released before.
02-24-2016, 01:45 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
In his latest live show edition Tony
Who is John Doe/Tony/whatshisface user?

Mommy! Help me! I am so incompetent as reviewer that I don't even manage to get my hands on the stuff I need to make a living! Mommy!

I though Barbie's Ken Dumbwell was the lower end of the user review scale. But maybe we need to rethink this.
02-24-2016, 03:59 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I wrote to him on Facebook same day the video was out. No answer.
Worth to know you are keeping an eye on that.
I have just sent him email. Let's see if/what he answers

02-24-2016, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Make good on? What did Pentax ever do to you?
They killed my childhood dog. There, satisfied?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
There you go, being yourself again. First of all, I don't think most posters here know or understand your almost irrational defense of Jim Malcolm (I don't). Maybe he's family to you? You won't admit that, currently, Pentax's marketing is worse than Panasonic's, which is an insult. Fine. The point still stands - you have one of YouTube's most famous photo personalities begging for a K-1 to test, and you can almost be assured that he'll treat the camera fairly (more fairly than DPR, at least). So ...
Yeah, I don't get it either. We bring up something that we consider to be a big Ricoh marketing mistake and in return we get a flaming defence of a guy we never heard of
02-24-2016, 04:57 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why did the song "On The Cover of the Rolling Stone" suddenly pop up in my head. Only the old timers here will know what I mean here. For you young whippersnappers, here it is. FWIW, it worked for them.

02-24-2016, 05:19 AM   #25

The lens testing lab idea didn't happen in a vacuum. It's a sophisticated idea, a way to leverage the unavoidable fact that there are 24 million legacy lenses in the marketplace.
may i ask, what "lens testing lab idea"? did i miss something?
02-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
may i ask, what "lens testing lab idea"? did i miss something?
On the K-1 Special Site on Ricoh Imaging Japan
02-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #27

On the K-1 Special Site on Ricoh Imaging Japan
oh ok. what is it? i'm afraid i don't speak japanese
02-24-2016, 05:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Neither do I, but luckily there's an English version

PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

But the lens lab is 'Coming soon'.
02-24-2016, 05:51 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh Imaging Japan has an entire English language mirror site for the majority of its content. Google Ricoh Imaging Japan English. There is a Special K-1 Site, and on that site is the Pentax K-1 Laboratory. On that section of the Special Site Pentax will post photographs taken with many different lenses, sorted by lens, and apparently allow users to upload photos as well.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-24-2016 at 08:00 AM.
02-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
We bring up something that we consider to be a big Ricoh marketing mistake and in return we get a flaming defence of a guy we never heard of
Honestly, that's your fault. His name has been on every Ricoh Imaging Americas press release for the past couple years. If you are going to call Ricoh Imaging NA's marketing department incompetent (you did), you could at least read their press releases.