Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upper control dial and wheel - is it convenient way of control?

Part of settings are just simple choice between ON and OFF.

How about operability and convenience of such control?

02-29-2016, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I havn't actually tried it, but I have to say that just about anything is preferable to digging through menus Like I've done on K7, K5 and K3.

In theory, this looks like a really really excellent additional option.

Massive thumbs up from me.

02-29-2016, 05:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd say that it is great and quite easy way tho change different modes. Saves time and is straight forward. You could start shooting with one setting, and change almost instantly for example crop or FF and or SR mode. Sometimes I shoot hand held and choose to use tripod instead, but then I forget to change SR off or put timer on to deactivate SR. Now I could choose SR straight from that wheel, and have it done more easy. Just one example..
02-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope the next K-3 (mkiii?) as well as the 645z(2?) get a similar user interface refresh. Pentax ergonomics are top of the game IMHO.

Michael

02-29-2016, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Exp. comp. - there is direct button exposure compensation
ISO - maybe, it's helpful if you use main wheels for another settings. but there is direct button too.
CH/CL - anyway, you should use LCD and 3-d wheel to choose modes - you can do the same via INFO button
BKT and HDR - rare used modes - easy to choose it via INFO button
Grid - ??? Hard to understand if you really need changed it instantly
SR - there is direct button programmed for SR now
Crop - there are only 3 mode - AUTO, FF and APS-C.
If you have FF lenses, you don't need to choose at all. If you have DA lenses - you make the choice one time.

If you have FF and DA lenses, I doubt that you need to choose the mode quickly. Anyway, there is AUTO mode.

Wi-Fi - K-S2 has the direct button for Wi-Fi.

---------- Post added 02-29-2016 at 06:53 AM ----------

I had GXR and I'd like to say that this camera offers TWO algorithms of direct controls of settings.

GXR has back push-wheel with direct access to settings. And DIRECT button.
I found this system is better than K-1's controls.

Last edited by ogl; 02-29-2016 at 08:33 AM.
02-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
GXR has back push-wheel with direct access to settings. And DIRECT button.
I found this system is better than K-1's controls.
So you've had the chance to use the K-1 and you can't explain what "Grid" is?

So your ideal design would be a dedicated button for each function?

A funny thing with ergonomics is it is based on "feel" and that often cannot be judged by "look". Erognomic keyboards would be one example.
02-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

@ogl, You are in luck then, you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

02-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Part of settings are just simple choice between ON and OFF.

https://youtu.be/mR4oRSyYVAQ

Not quite !! How can you adjust such a wide ISO range with ON/OFF ?
How can you select from 3 drive modes in CH/CL with ON/OFF ?
How can you enter BKT bracketing value with ON/OFF ?
Others ???
02-29-2016, 07:14 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just hope the next generation will have more custom buttons on the back or on the dial. many of the settings on the dials are redundant to the buttons (ISO, +/-..), or are rarely used..Why not leave them to us?
02-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I like the idea of a third e-dial and a wheel that controls which function to set. Sure you can press info button and access several of those settings - I do it on my K-S2.. but I still welcome this idea of a third e-dial. I would like to have SR on a switch like on the K10D, but that's my only criticism. Setting the select dial to ISO or exposure compensation and then turning a dial, this is far more easy than pressing a button and spinning the dial - with the solution in the K-1 I could have ISO or exposure compensation on all the time for the third e-dial. Could be very handy. I do change ISO and exposure compensation quite often... I would also welcome an easy access to drive mode settings, as the K-1 now have. So I'm happy.

But perhaps two or three of them would have been user configurable, a U1 - U2 - U3 so one could select which settings to have direct access to. I would like direct access to metering selection (multisegment, centerweighted, spot).

Oh and grid on and off, well why not... could be handy for the landscape photographer...
02-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #11

Personally, I am on the fence with the two dial controls. Redundancy of functions, and crowding of the top are my largest issues, and frankly a few of those settings I feel are better placed in a menu item (WiFi for example; if you are going to be using it, your going to have it already setup and on before the first shot is taken). It feels like control overload. It could be simpler, easier.

Grid is the most interesting to me, I wonder if Pentax will allow for a custom grid to be loaded into the system, and what grids are already there?
I mainly use the rule of 3rds for composition, but I would love to add to it the golden ratio, nautilus spiral overlay, or a ring overlay. The only down side is using a manual focus split prism is out of the question.
02-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #12
Forum Member

I just please about changable crops, 1:1 and something between ff and aps-c in smart functions
02-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

All these settings are exposed already. This exposes them to a dial for quick adjustment.

Exposure compensation is push button, dial, push button. With this you set the one dial and can change it on the fly. As I pan across the scene following a flying object I can adjust up or down depending if the background is against the sky or mountain, or as moves into backlit.

Iso is the same.

Crop, the two modes affect not only the file size but the speed of continuous shooting. I probably would be in ff mode most of the time, but for action sequences being able to switch quickly would be nice.

Same with af modes, and exposure modes.

I have three common setups in user modes right now, which works ok. This added flexibility without added complexity is a nice touch.
02-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I hardly understand the logic of such solution of controls, honestly...Try to understand.
I also don't understand why Ricoh removes functions from final firmware, not add, but remove.

---------- Post added 02-29-2016 at 08:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
@ogl, You are in luck then, you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
Of course...I don't bash K-1, but want to realize if smart function system is really good or not. I could be wrong.
As for me, it's not direct control system.

Main question - could we use the upper wheel for choosing AF points?

---------- Post added 02-29-2016 at 08:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marcodagi Quote
I just please about changable crops, 1:1 and something between ff and aps-c in smart functions
No 1:1 and 4:3 crops in final firmware...

Last edited by ogl; 02-29-2016 at 08:41 AM.
02-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hank Quote
I wonder if Pentax will allow for a custom grid to be loaded into the system
If this transparent LCD is of raster type, then it's probably feasible, but if it has fixed shapes then no luck.

I wonder how really transparent those LCD's are, don't they slightly reduce viewfinder brightness?

Last edited by Aberrator; 02-29-2016 at 09:08 AM.