Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2016, 07:00 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There is already a Rokinon 24mm tilt shift.
If this wasn't a work day I would have the time to sum all that is wrong with this statement.

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
So I would be more inclined to spend the hard earned on a shift lens that was of wide angle, rather than a standard focal length.
Due to the shift capability it can be used as such with clever stitching, when you're working with T/S lenses you have the freedom to do produce images that no fixed focal plane lens could do.

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
what tilt possibilities exist for the new 5-axis IBIS system the K-1 has.
None that is user controllable, and it would pale in comparison to what a true T/S lens is capable of. Be careful what you ask for: Shifting the rear standard is more prone to causing issues with lens casts, which is rather problematic when using movements with MFD backs on technical cameras.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-09-2016 at 07:09 AM.
03-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
[...]and, as a side issue, what tilt possibilities exist for the new 5-axis IBIS system the K-1 has.
For the record, the 5-axis IBIS systems as currently implemented in consumer cameras are (hopefully) unable to offer any kind of tilt at all.
Yes, they can compensate for camera "tilt" movements - by shifting the sensor.
03-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Schneider TSS lenses are probably excellent (never seen an image or a test). Canon makes fine TSS lenses. The 24mm Canon TSS lens I had for several years was excellent. By reputation, the 17mm Canon TSS is also excellent. I have a Samyang 24mm TSS which is OK, so-so, adequate for the frequency that I use it. It can get images otherwise impossible, but the IQ is not what I'd wish for. I think 50mm is way too long. I find the 24 Samyang too long for APS-C and am looking forward to using it on the K1, although I'm fearful the edges will be disappointing. Unfortunately the only alternative (other than Arsat) are the Schneiders which IMHO are both too long and too expensive. BTW: I also had a Pentax 28 shift for a while, BIG lens, but I like to use such a lens to gain DOF, which a shift-only lens will not do.
03-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
None that is user controllable, and it would pale in comparison to what a true T/S lens is capable of. Be careful what you ask for: Shifting the rear standard is more prone to causing issues with lens casts, which is rather problematic when using movements with MFD backs on technical cameras.
I wouldn't expect sensor tilt to have the range of a T/S lens, but small movements could be useful in macro, for example. Anyway, it's a moot point if user control isn't available.

03-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I've thought about tilt shift, and in the end my conclusion was, if you really want tilt shift a 4x5 film camera is a wonderful thing. 8x10 is even better.

Since no one else wrote a book on the topic, I'm not either.
03-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
've thought about tilt shift, and in the end my conclusion was, if you really want tilt shift a 4x5 film camera is a wonderful thing. 8x10 is even better.
With 8X10 format it is harder to find a wide variety of lenses for T/S work - only a few lenses have image circles big enough to allow for drastic movements, and those are pretty much in the "normal" FL range.Wide and telephoto lenses are somewhat thin on the ground - especially the ones that perform well enough across the frame AND allow for movements to be used. 4X5 format gives you a wider lens variety, one fun thing to try is putting a 5X7 or 8X10 lens on a 4X5 camera, it allows you to correct for perspective distortion in ways that no other camera could allow.
03-11-2016, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
So I would be more inclined to spend the hard earned on a shift lens that was of wide angle...
Or better still, spend none of your hard earned on a T&S lens, use the wide lens you already have and do a reasonably acceptable job in PP. (Now before anybody jumps at me, I said reasonably acceptable)

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2016 at 03:10 AM.
03-11-2016, 04:29 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometime I'll search up a scan from a chrome taken with the Canon TSS to show you what is very difficult to achieve with a WA.
03-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
do a reasonably acceptable job in PP.
A big improvement and good demonstration, Thanks !!
03-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote

Or better still, spend none of your hard earned on a T&S lens, use the wide lens you already have and do a reasonably acceptable job in PP. (Now before anybody jumps at me, I said reasonably acceptable)
I promised to post some images taken with a TSS that I don't think can be duplicated using either using PP or a small aperture with a WA. All three are scans from chromes originally taken with a Canon 24mm TSS. I don't think there's any way that a WA could get such DOF and maintain the IQ of these images (allow that these scans, done with a flat-bed scanner, do not preserve the IQ of the originals). Also, no 24mm could get the DOF of the last image with the typical minimum aperture of f16. You'd have to go to 20mm or even 15mm, but then the background mountain would be reduced to insignificance..(SORRY! I forgot to touch out the dust on the first image.)
Attached Images