Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The camera has "very surprised" a lot of people already. With this camera, I really don't really pay any attention to what people expect anymore. Someone expecting something is almost a guarantee it's not going to be the way they say it is.
In about 6 weeks there's going to be a very large chorus of 'very surprised'.

03-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
Veteran Member

On Af-S singel pictures i might belive it. But it is still far behind the monsters from CaNikon on AF-C. But its an awesome camera!
03-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
On Af-S singel pictures i might belive it. But it is still far behind the monsters from CaNikon on AF-C. But its an awesome camera!
Finally someone talking some sense Some people around here seem to be all too eager to believe any kind of report that puts the K-1 up there with the likes of the D810 or 1Dx on aspects that it simply cannot compete in. It will most likely be an amazing camera and outdo CaNikon in certain other areas, but we need to stay realistic.
03-12-2016, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Its on pair with D810 on some things, a bit below on others and a bit ahead on others. So it will for shure give D810 a beating.

But towards 1Dx and D5 etc, thats another story. K-1 will beat them on quality in pics and on DR..but will lose in all other ways.

But i can't wait to kick ass in the Photopit against the CaNikon monsters :P

03-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
report that puts the K-1 up there with the likes of the D810
It's different cameras, but on the overall value proposition and feature set, I think there are many D810 owners who now see that their camera is no competition to a K-1 and struggle to find areas where it can keep up.

A tiny bit of niche moving target AF advantages (which for most is a gimmick only) in some areas for D810 can't excuse a complete lack of in-body stabilisation for example.

All today's cameras have extremely good AF capabilities and any mediocre or good photographer can get all the shots he wants from them.
The real differentiator for the crowd are the featureset, the price, the ergonomics the allrounder capabilities.
That all are areas where the K-1 outshines the competition.

If you wanted best AF, nobody chose a D810, but went for a Canon 5D in their price bracket.

And let's not forget the price bracket itself: A K-1 only needs to beat sub $1800 (brandnew) cameras to be a winner. And I see no competition.
03-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Its on pair with D810 on some things, a bit below on others and a bit ahead on others. So it will for shure give D810 a beating.

But towards 1Dx and D5 etc, thats another story. K-1 will beat them on quality in pics and on DR..but will lose in all other ways.

But i can't wait to kick ass in the Photopit against the CaNikon monsters :P
Will it keep up with day a 7D original in AF-C? That would be enough for 99.9% of peoples needs.
03-12-2016, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venom3300 Quote
Will it keep up with day a 7D original in AF-C? That would be enough for 99.9% of peoples needs.
Its way better then K-3II..I haven't tried that Canon modell

03-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I have learned over the years to temper one's enthusiasm when it comes to new models. So many times there is disappointment. However for this new body I am hopeful that the K1 will be a great success for Ricoh and that they use the K1 as an opportunity to begin to rebuild their sales locations in North America. Locally I have London Drugs that sells Ricoh Products being the K3II and the K50, but other APSC bodies or GRII's or Q's are only available by special order. Store refuses to stock anything else.
03-12-2016, 09:30 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Excellent news from Sandy Ramirez about the K-1's autofocus.

"the K-1 is an incredible camera. It's on par with the top of the line Canons or Nikons. Seriously I now will get myself one, a great companion to my 645Z."
(link)

Autofocus "on par and slightly more accurate than the Canon 1DX."
(link)

It looks like Pentax AF has come of age, big time.

Sandy Ramirez Photographer
Sorry, but who is Sandy Ramirez? Just wondering which Fashion Mags he has been published in as I never heard of him before. But any endorsement by a professional is good for the brand.

Can't wait to see how he fares with it.
03-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Its way better then K-3II..I haven't tried that Canon modell
Same AF system as a 70D if youve even used ine of those haha.
03-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Ben, he's gotten to do a few of these advance testings so Pentax appears to take him seriously. And the shots he's posted look pretty darn good.

I was the first to ask him about AF speed and accuracy, and when I commented that even if his experience might be a slight embellishment - as it looks to be a substantial improvement for Pentax, he very strongly asserted that there was no embellishment in his comparison with the 1DX. He had no doubts.

At the very least, it appears that Pentax has gotten very serious about AF with the 24-70. That might be at least as important as how well the K-1 performs.
03-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Sorry, but who is Sandy Ramirez? Just wondering which Fashion Mags he has been published in as I never heard of him before. But any endorsement by a professional is good for the brand.

Can't wait to see how he fares with it.
I believe this is his website, with samples and credits: About Me - Sandy Ramirez
03-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Sorry, but who is Sandy Ramirez?
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Ben, he's gotten to do a few of these advance testings so Pentax appears to take him seriously.
IIRC, he did advance testing and reviews for the 645Z and may have some degree of Pentax sponsorship.

Steve
03-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I assume he is referring to accuracy and AF.S speed.
No ... see Post 6 for a quote.
03-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ha! It looks like he also uses a Theta!