Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 12:52 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
In what context - bench tests, or real-world results?
In the context of what goes on in his head.

There's simply no eason for scepticism right now, given the number of FA lenses that have already been tested and have images posted.

03-16-2016, 04:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
In what context - bench tests, or real-world results?
Why would anyone be concerned with bench tests for the purpose of determining ultimate image quality, unless of course shooting test patterns happens to be a primary photographic interest?

In any event, my reason for raising concerns about film era designed full frame lenses came from experience with lenses that were considered quite a bit above average on film, still good on digital APS-c, but were marginal on full frame digital due to how the sensor accepted light toward the edges and corners (loss of contrast, increased CA, and light fall off). Possibly the FF sensors have somewhat improved in that regard (relating to how the pixel lenses accept light), but the issue remains a concern.

---------- Post added 03-16-2016 at 06:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In the context of what goes on in his head.

There's simply no eason for scepticism right now, given the number of FA lenses that have already been tested and have images posted.
I'm not aware of any test results of Pentax lenses on a full frame sensor with added coverage required by SR. Possibly I missed that.

In any event, the point is overall IQ into the corners not just a matter of whether light reaches the corners without a hard vignette. Everyone has their own idea of what's adequate so I guess that's just what's going on in my head. Don't be surprised, though, if a DA 300 outperforms various FA long lenses in the corners in terms of overall IQ. Not due a bias toward the newer lenses, but just a matter of how certain combinations happen to work.
03-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Pentax SMC 35-70 is dirt cheap but very good. I got mine in 1989 with my SFx. See SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

A Takumar 70-200 is also cheap but it's not bad, either. Takumar-F 70-200mm F4-5.6 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I also got it with my SFx.

There is a SMC 35-105 as well (I also have one) and it's worth looking at: SMC Pentax-F 35-105mm F4-5.6 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

They are all film era AF lenses so will work with the FF.
03-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #34
amp

A couple people mentioned the 35-70mm f lens. I second this recommendation. It's rather inexpensive at the moment, and it should be ff capable as far as I know. Most importantly, it delivers very nice pictures and the af is lightning quick.

03-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
A couple people mentioned the 35-70mm f lens. I second this recommendation. It's rather inexpensive at the moment, and it should be ff capable as far as I know. Most importantly, it delivers very nice pictures and the af is lightning quick.
I'd expect it to be FF as I used with my 35mm Pentax SFx. And it has macro (of sorts). Maybe not perfect but still very useful.
03-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The kit lens sounds like your best bet, IaTimo.

A cheap plastic fantastic like the DA 50mm f1.8 suddenly becomes a standard FoV prime. Here's a casual very wide aperture shot with my Sony A7:

03-17-2016, 12:32 AM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Pentax SMC 35-70 is dirt cheap but very good. I got mine in 1989 with my SFx. See SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

They are all film era AF lenses so will work with the FF.
"Pancake zoom", one of my favourite cheap lenses.
Specification sounds very limited but it is actually a great lens.
Sharp wide open in a whole range.
Razor sharp when stopped down.
35mm f/3.5 is decently fast.
70mm f/4.5 have decent bokeh and it is good enough for portraits.
Yes it is a little bit slow but who cares when you have clean ISO 3200 on K1.
Macro capabilities are also fine.
Extremly fast AF.
Great colors.
Very small and very light.
Dirty cheap.

Only disadvantage of that lens is that is not a WR lens.
If you need WR lens, get new D-FA 28-105mm.

Last edited by banep; 03-17-2016 at 12:44 AM.
03-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laTimo Quote
But dont you guys believe that Ricoh is gonna make the most out of this, and produce more glass very soon, to feed both old and new pentaxians?

Btw, how is the Sigma lenses on this one? the 24-70, the art lenses etc.. wouldnt they be a good choice?
The thing is, those new glass will NOT be cheap. and you probably won't have lot of such used glass to choose from as...they are new.

3rd party good glass from Sigma (ART series), will also be limited and not sure if they plan to support K-mount in future. Used glass for other system is again much more option than K-mount.

I figure since you are not that deep in K-mount, might as well look into other FF offering.
03-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm gonna see what I already have does before I buy anything new for the K1. I may already be just fine, and if not, I will then know exactly what I need.

Regards!
That's my plan too. I know I don't NEED to upgrade my K50 to the K1, but I'm 90% sure I will anyway. Now if I already had the K3 I might pass but. . .

Anyway I love macro and that cross-tilt LCD will sure be nice as well as the pixel-shift feature. Assuming the early reviews from forum members pan out my plan is to pair the K1 with my Kiron 105mm. Fairly certain it will still give good results. In addition I have a "plastic fantastic" DA35 that I'm nearly certain will perform as a full-frame despite Pentax not mentioning it. Also have hope for a very-vintage Revuenon 1.4 50MM. Not ruling out even my Sigma DL Macro 70-300. Who knows?

I'm not going to be nearly as concerned about getting that Pentax-F* 300mm F4.5 (can't afford the others) I've been watching for since the K1 should have plenty of pixels to crop. Would most agree those long 400+ tele's won't be as necessary for occasional nature shots? That's my thought.

EDIT: Thanks p38arover. Forgot about a Pentax 35-70 I got a couple decades ago as a kit lens with the SF1. I think it might fit right in too.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-18-2016 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added to post
04-05-2016, 01:13 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I got yesterday a Tammy 28-75/2.8. Somehow the lens shows some back focus when wide open (approx. 5cm?!). Basically it quite similar as described in this thread.

Focus Fine Adjustment right now at -10. I haven't bought it for my K5 ii in the first place but for the coming K-1 as a temporary solution until I got the money for the 24-70.
Anyways, do you think that it is possible that the focus will be better and more accurate on the K-1 as it is right now on my K5 II? In the end it is the camera that focuses and says to the lens: "Let it go, everything's in focus now" isn't it? Or will the focus problems be even more worse? Would love to hear your thoughts and guesses on this.
04-05-2016, 02:47 AM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
Anyways, do you think that it is possible that the focus will be better and more accurate on the K-1 as it is right now on my K5 II? In the end it is the camera that focuses and says to the lens: "Let it go, everything's in focus now" isn't it? Or will the focus problems be even more worse? Would love to hear your thoughts and guesses on this.

Every camera/lens combination is unique, so you will have to wait and see.
04-05-2016, 03:35 AM   #42
Banned

Just got Kiron 28-70mm f/4 with an old MX body as a gift from my friend.
It is NOT this one Kiron 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 Macro 1:4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
It is smaller and lighter with 52mm filter thread almost size of Pentax A 35-70.
After blowing 15 years old dust and mount lens on DSLR I realise that it is a very good lens.
Handling is awful like every push/pool Kiron zoom, it's varifocal plus focus at 70mm goes little bit beyond infinity and at 28mm it goes waaay beyond infinity.
But man that lens has excelent sharpness! Wide open f/4 at 70mm is perfectly sharp. At 28mm is not so sharp wide open but stopped down at f/5.6 it is also perfectly sharp.
IQ is excellent, CA=0 wide open, bokeh is very nice and lens is so small and light, it almost looks like some old prime.
Could be a new toy sindrome but I'll give it advantage over dozen of other normal zooms which I currently own :-)

p.s. Kiron zooms and primes are my obsession, they are very unique. if you have some Kiron which is not in Pentax lens database to trade/sell please give me a note.

Last edited by banep; 04-05-2016 at 03:41 AM.
04-05-2016, 07:52 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Every camera/lens combination is unique, so you will have to wait and see.
I already guessed that. So basically I have a small chance that my K-1 will be talking clearly with my Tammy. Open wide it is pretty unusable, stopped down to f3.5 or 4 and below it comes to life.
04-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
So basically I have a small chance that my K-1 will be talking clearly with my Tammy.

Don't give up yet. It might very well work just fine with the K-1.
04-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Ok then i will Cross Fingers and Hope the K-1 will breathe life into this lens. Thanks mate. Hope you Are Right

Just found this on the K-1 description site
QuoteQuote:
The center sensor and the two sensors located just above and below it are designed to detect the light flux of an F2.8 lens, making it easy to obtain pinpoint focus on a subject when using a large-aperture lens.

Last edited by i5_david; 04-05-2016 at 01:40 PM.