Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #91
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Really, the question is only one: will this help me enjoy photography in some way more than before?
I just shot this minutes ago.....pumped the ISO to get some speed. It is a shot I would have missed with any previous Pentax I have owned. The big ol' slow Bigma focused instantly and the ISO 5000 is acceptable. So, yes, it brings some new joy when you can shoot and process with more ease and confidence with shots you were previously missing.

I can't imagine anyone trying a K1 and not falling in love instantly? Putting need aside, and just asking about enjoyment.....the K1 will deliver, and quickly!

Regards!

05-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I wasn't really thinking of advanced amateurs, rather people who really have little clue, like a Chinese tourist I saw in Namibia who sported a Nikon D810 and 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8, but grabbed his DSLR like a compact camera, with his fingers on either side of the body. [I]"All the gear and no idea"
Some people call that sort of thing, "All hat and no cattle."

There's an unfriendly part of me that wants to respond, "I don't {insert long string of Anglo-Saxon invective here} someone thinks about whether I need a K-1. It's my hobby, it's my money, it's my camera, they're my image files and it's none of (someone)'s business whether a K-1 is appropriate for me.

But I won't do that here.

Really, it's just a decision. I wanted a K-1. I bought a K-1. Consequently I won't be able to buy some other thing, whatever that other thing is.

I spent last weekend at my niece's wedding in Pennsylvania. I took K-1, the FA Limiteds and the FA24~90. My bag was a lot heavier than taking the K-3 and DA Limiteds in similar focal lengths.

It was nice to frame photos and stand distances from subjects that I had been accustomed to before 2006. It felt right, and natural, not contrived. I myself think the images are better than I would have done with my K-3 and that's what matters, really.

No one commented about my camera. Even the two pro's shooting Canon with L glass.

I stayed out of their way - I didn't Uncle Bob them. They didn't think I should have used a flash at the reception in a barn though. And they told me. (Four shots bounce 540fgz, and I didn't shoot when they were shooting).

So I'm absolutely sure I'm a rank amateur because a couple Canon shooters in their twenties said so.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-28-2016 at 12:55 PM.
05-30-2016, 01:15 AM   #93
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Some people call that sort of thing, "All hat and no cattle."

I stayed out of their way - I didn't Uncle Bob them. They didn't think I should have used a flash at the reception in a barn though. And they told me. (Four shots bounce 540fgz, and I didn't shoot when they were shooting).
If you got permission from the bride and groom to use your flash surely it's got nothing to do with the pros - especially if you stayed out of their way.
05-30-2016, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"All the gear, no idea" is what some say, or "all bling and beer gut" - both derogatory and demeaning and referring to other situations where people buy gear that some consider beyond their skill level.

But hey...if they can afford it and enjoy their activity, what right do others have to criticise and demean?

I know the K-1 is beyond my ability, but that's OK by me. I am enjoying using it and some of the results are really lovely...others are disappointing as my shortcomings as a photog are being thrown into sharp relief.

Do I enjoy every trip out with it? Yes
Is it forcing me to consider more closely what I am hoping to achieve with each pic? Yes
Do I regret buying it? Not for a moment.

05-30-2016, 02:56 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
"All the gear, no idea" is what some say, or "all bling and beer gut" - both derogatory and demeaning and referring to other situations where people buy gear that some consider beyond their skill level.

But hey...if they can afford it and enjoy their activity, what right do others have to criticise and demean?

I know the K-1 is beyond my ability, but that's OK by me. I am enjoying using it and some of the results are really lovely...others are disappointing as my shortcomings as a photog are being thrown into sharp relief.

Do I enjoy every trip out with it? Yes
Is it forcing me to consider more closely what I am hoping to achieve with each pic? Yes
Do I regret buying it? Not for a moment.
Same as that.