Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is the K1 really for the average amateur photographer?

I know everyone wants the latest and greatest but is it really that big of deal?
I can look at a whole bunch of photos taken with Pentax cameras and if I
don't know what model that was used I'd be hard pressed to tell you which was
which. Some of the best Pentax photos I seen were taken with the original
ISTD.

03-16-2016, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is any flagship camera really for the average amateur photographer?
03-16-2016, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope, it's for people who want full frame That's certainly not the average person.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As long as they can pay the entry price of 1800usd i dont see why not, just put on "P" of profesional and you're ready

.... But no, some amateurs can find some K5IIs on second market and have a better camera for the price of the starters t3/4/5/6, D5xxx or Ks2

03-16-2016, 05:43 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I know everyone wants the latest and greatest but is it really that big of deal?
The operative word there is "want". Anyone who "needed" a full frame camera bought one years ago from another brand.

There are many reasons why someone might "want" a K-1:
1) Not wanting to be embarrassed when playing with the big kids with their mk 5DIII and D810.
2) A preference for the FF 'look' whatever that might be to the individual
3) A desire to have the newest camera available and show off the new toy
4) An expectation of somewhat better dynamic range
5) An expectation of improved ISO performance, ie less noise at a given ISO
6) A desire to use their vintage film glass as they were intended to be used
7) A need or want to print larger than what 24mp can print. Though that is more a need for more MP not necessarily a FF camera
8) Just supporting the brand. If you want Pentax to make more stuff, you gotta buy some stuff
9) Pixel shift on FF 36mp camera? That just might be amazing
10) They have complained about no Pentax FF for so long they either have to buy it or admit they are full of hot air
11) A belief that the K-1 will somehow improve their photography

And my personal reason: I want it. I've saved money in the camera budget for two years and I pre-ordered. Will I be amazed? Will I like it? Will I hate it? Will I admit APS-C is more than I can handle and sell it on? Will it make my photography so amazing that people will travel for miles just gaze in awe at my display? Who knows.
03-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The operative word there is "want". Anyone who "needed" a full frame camera bought one years ago from another brand.

1) Not wanting to be embarrassed when playing with the big kids with their mk 5DIII and D810.
7) A need or want to print larger than what 24mp can print. Though that is more a need for more MP not necessarily a FF camera
8) Just supporting the brand. If you want Pentax to make more stuff, you gotta buy some stuff
10) They have complained about no Pentax FF for so long they either have to buy it or admit they are full of hot air

And my personal reason: I want it. I've saved money in the camera budget for two years and I pre-ordered. Will I be amazed? Will I like it? Will I hate it? Will I admit APS-C is more than I can handle and sell it on? Will it make my photography so amazing that people will travel for miles just gaze in awe at my display? Who knows.
Ill take 4,5,9 and 11
03-16-2016, 05:47 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm getting it because I've always wanted a flippy screen that comes with it's own Meccano set.....and I'm a very average photographer.

03-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm not in need of what a 36×24 sensor brings, and my computer won't really like 36Mpx images What I like is that all the other features are so much better: more SR precision, Pixel Shift improvement, an adjustable Info screen, tiny lights + screen dimming for night shooting, and the like. So on the scale above I'd pick 8, 9 and 4/5 but really it's the non-sensor internal tech that makes me want it much more than I wanted to want it.. er
03-16-2016, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a tall guy, big hands. I like bigger cameras - something with the heft and feel of my SFX. So, yes, the K-1 will do nicely. And I have quite a few K-mount lenses. And I like to shoot macro, so the funny tilt screen will do nicely.
And did I mention I like to print to canvas? So, more mega pickles works for me.
03-16-2016, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #10

My pursuit of photography is limited to just an average amateur hobby these days. In fact disappointingly, I get very little opportunity in my hectic schedule to get out and shoot at all. I'm still shooting the K-5. And I would absolutely love to upgrade by omitting the anti-aliasing filter. Not to mention eventually acquiring some of the latest performance improvements in the K-3 and beyond products.

But I absolutely have no 'need' for the K-1, yet I 'most certainly would love to get one'. A significant part of the appeal to me is that Pentax succeeded at packing the FF sensor and their increasing repertoire of innovations into a body that is not significantly larger than my K-5. That's an attractive proposition isn't it?!

I would expect any improvement in image quality to be nice, but likely not justified by the actual cost. Nevertheless it would be great fun to play with. And that's part of enjoying photography as a hobby- at least for some of us who are not amazingly artistic, and who find ourselves enjoying the technical side of photography just as much (regardless of if we really use it or not).

Plus I've got to admit- I could really enjoy having the additional option to use my FA 77 ltd & FA 43 ltd lenses at a closer camera to subject distance

Last edited by One3rdEV; 03-16-2016 at 06:27 PM.
03-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
Plus I've got to admit- I could really enjoy having the additional option to use my FA 77 ltd & FA 43 ltd lenses at a closer camera to subject distance
^This
03-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

just a peace of mind.

I did not pre-order the damn thing but when the time is right, I will go for it. For me, the new tech is cool and I guess more dynamic range and more of this and that is also very good.

But, I really enjoy using film cameras because what I want to explore in my photography (and my glass) is hidden on the margin of the 35mm frame, not APS-C. That is why I will make the transition at some point. Also, I do not have enough time or money to satisfy my needs eating films, I want to go ff digital. And I want it to be a Pentax because I do not want Canikon, being an anti-mainstream guy.

I am very far from a professional, and I want it because I want to have more fun testing and more stuff to thinker about
03-16-2016, 07:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am a hobbyist shooter and it is for me!
03-16-2016, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #14

It was love at first site! Then I started to read all the hands on reviews followed by videos! Then my eyes glazed over and I preordered the K1 and the 15-30 and what the hell, throw in the battery grip. Do I need it? Hell no! Do I want it, oh yeah! An amateur can have just as much fun as a pro.
03-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

Not sure if or when I'll be able to afford one, but 4,5,6 for me, particularly 5, as I've run into issues with this on a number of occasions.

12) Reasons 5 and 9, but at a fraction of the price of a 645z