Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-1 or used 645D - (Realistically I don't have the $$, but just (not) thinking...)

Though I'm 99% sure I don't have the cash for either... What would I do?

1) K-1: Already have too many lenses - though at the moment I use just a few almost all of the time (K28/3.5, M50/1.4, A50/2.8, M100/2.8) Yes, bought some 1.5x lenses for thought of full frame, since I am used to the crop factors... (uhm... K35/3.5, M85/2, M150/3.5) Obviously I'm in manual focus most of the time, though I do use AF zooms at times. Advantage: Smaller, have plenty of glass...

2) 645D (used) Have A55/2.5, A75/2.8, A150/3.5 and A80-160/4. All MF, and ok with that... Have all the focal ranges I use on a regular basis, but no macro.

I'm guessing everyone would say to go for the K-1, but... Hmm... As really, the 645 system is a bit big and heavy for daily usage.... I never use the 80-160 in particular for this reason, but... Hmm...

Then again, I don't have the cash - and quite happy w/ K5ii and uhm... Q system at the moment?

Hmmm....

Ok, realistically I'd never use (carry) the 645D - so (theoretical) decision made - Unless someone could convince me otherwise?

Then again, shooting more film these days! (MX and 645)

03-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor tech has advanced far enough that the K-1 will generally outperform the 645D. More or less a no-brainer there in my opinion

Perhaps upgrading to the K-3 would make the most sense in your case? 1/3rd the price of the K-1 and still a big step up over the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When changing system (need to buy a set on new lenses), you never consider another brand of camera in order the get the best system available at the time of purchase?
03-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It depends on what type of photography you do. For example:

Studio: Portability isn't an issue. You can control lighting and always use low ISO. 645D wins.

Sports: 645D is too slow. K-1 wins between the tw contestants, but K-3 could be best.

Etc....

03-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #5
Banned

For 645 macro you can get extension tubes.

You could just make less images, but make the one that count.

Still wouldn't choose 645.
03-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was trying to rationalize the 645D - and couldn't... And I still can't... and that's probably all for the best!

I'll go get some more 120 film to get my medium format fix. Joined a local darkroom club here.

On another side note, pulled out the old K100D Super last week - and for bright sunlight I think I prefer the colors to that of the K5ii. Uh oh... I'm moving backwards! What's next? Ok, it was a CCD moment. Back to K5ii now...
03-23-2016, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
When changing system (need to buy a set on new lenses), you never consider another brand of camera in order the get the best system available at the time of purchase?
If your prone to thinking like that then maybe you're on the wrong forum.......

03-24-2016, 02:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
If your prone to thinking like that then maybe you're on the wrong forum.......
Advice does not engage the money of the advisors. For the one who get feedback from others, honest feedback is the most valuable, and biased feeback may influence purchaser's decision into a sub-optimal choice. The problem of people online is they can give any advice, good or bad, that does engage them at all. Even, some of the most active forum members have to peak of participation in the forum and then fade away, some switching to other brands, while some getting into Pentax.
03-24-2016, 03:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gdneil Quote
I was trying to rationalize the 645D - and couldn't... And I still can't... and that's probably all for the best!

I'll go get some more 120 film to get my medium format fix. Joined a local darkroom club here.

On another side note, pulled out the old K100D Super last week - and for bright sunlight I think I prefer the colors to that of the K5ii. Uh oh... I'm moving backwards! What's next? Ok, it was a CCD moment. Back to K5ii now...
Sounds like you are not ready to spend your money for anything else, but you do have everything for a moment to be happy with.
Perhaps you can wait till K1 will be on a market for a while.
03-24-2016, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Adam and others are giving sage advice to hit the pause button, and think about a strategy.

If finances are limited, waiting to see what works well on the K-1 is a really good idea. Many of us have been debating if the older FF lenses will perform well into the corners and achieve the IQ hoped. Getting that feedback before deciding how to proceed will yield better results than making assumptions now.

As a manual focus shooter, you might benefit from the focus peaking and greatly improved live view of the K-3/K-3ii. In fact, the difference can be huge with faster lenses (f/2.8 and faster) requiring precision manual focusing. At least take a look at one if you get a chance (presumably a few camera shops in Montreal have one to demo).
03-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Sounds like you are not ready to spend your money for anything else, but you do have everything for a moment to be happy with.
Perhaps you can wait till K1 will be on a market for a while.
Yes, that's the plan... Waiting!! Just dreaming a little I suppose. Perfectly fine with what I have! For financial reasons I always stay a little behind the curve. Got the K20d when the K-5 came out, the K-5 when the K-3 arrived, etc... Though never really felt the need to upgrade. Need and desire are entirely different things of course...
03-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few months ago before I know what the K-1 specs or price was I got a 645D and now have a decent kit built up. The D isn't the camera to get if you are after snappy camera performance but it can produce wonderful images and the lenses are generally very good. I don't regret my decision but it would be harder to make it the same knowing what I know now. I'll probably get a K-1 eventually too.
03-29-2016, 06:17 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It depends on what type of photography you do. For example:

Studio: Portability isn't an issue. You can control lighting and always use low ISO. 645D wins.

Sports: 645D is too slow. K-1 wins between the tw contestants, but K-3 could be best.

Etc....
Most people considering it are probably in the slower paced photography group(landscape, some studio). 645D is slow but a lot faster than film.

For people who shoot slow the K1's specs and pricing makes the 645D that much more difficult of a decision. I really don't know how much more you'll gain but it is a different format so if you need the bigger sensor theres that. There are just some photos i've seen from the 645D that make my jaw drop. Just a beautiful CCD sensor but it's a beast.