Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2016, 02:32 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Yes, the K-1 could be marketed as a "Special assistance Camera" , for those that can't bend (floppy screen), see all that well (led lights), hold things steady (5 axis), forget where you are/were (GPS), have fits (flash removed), have compulsive collecting disorder (old K lenses) etc etc....
LBA should be in the DSM. ☺

04-09-2016, 02:52 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the K-1 could be marketed as a "Special assistance Camera" , for those that can't bend (floppy screen), see all that well (led lights), hold things steady (5 axis), forget where you are/were (GPS), have fits (flash removed), have compulsive collecting disorder (old K lenses) etc etc....
Turned 50 so this sounds like an investment. Only GPS is a waste of resources as people older than 50 may actually have learned map reading. Rather have the pop up flash as at 50 , I am more likely to forget to bring a flash unit.

Maybe a K-1 sr for the older people who know how to readmaps but forget the flash and a K-1 jr for those who are used to rely on GPS?
04-09-2016, 02:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a hell of a lot of photos I wished I could have geotagged; I can't be sure anymore about exactly where I took them, and would like to go back one day. And if it will, as I have read, also tag the direction the camera is pointing, it should be valuable for forensic and criminal investigators, who will be able to demonstrate in court when and where they were and which way they were pointing when they took the shot.
04-09-2016, 03:26 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Not sure how reliable the "what direction you were facing" is.... most GPS's need you to take a couple of steps before giving an accurate bearing.... or am I using old GPS's?

04-09-2016, 03:36 AM   #35
Pentaxian

IIRC the camera has a compass function also.
04-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Not sure how reliable the "what direction you were facing" is.... most GPS's need you to take a couple of steps before giving an accurate bearing.... or am I using old GPS's?
It does have a "normal" electronic compass as well, which needs to be calibrated now and then.
But the GPS direction of movement (and speed) is also recorded, so if you take pictures from a boat (for instance) the speed and direction of travel plus the aim of the camera (inclusive degrees up/down and tilt) is recorded.
04-09-2016, 05:06 AM   #37
Pentaxian

It records the tilt and azimuth as well? Then a little bit of trigonometry will pretty much give you exact location, including distance to the action - just photograph the feet.

Indeed it really is the perfect police/crime scene camera. We need to push this to the TV studios so they can work it into their scripts, as well as to medical examiners, forensic pathology laboratories and police departments.

04-09-2016, 06:41 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
They look like something from Lovecraft, coming out of the water with all the mist in the near-dark...

With all the screaming that gets done about diffraction setting in at f/11 or even lower, why do so many Pentax lenses of both older and more current vintage go to f/32?
You couldn't change film. If you had ISO400 film in there because you were shooting inside and wanted to shooting something outside in bright daylight...think of it this way: ISO100 at f/8 = ISO400 at f/32

Sharpness was less a big thing back in film era since most of the photos you were viewing were 4x6 or on a mediocre projector (slides).
04-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It records the tilt and azimuth as well? Then a little bit of trigonometry will pretty much give you exact location, including distance to the action - just photograph the feet.

Indeed it really is the perfect police/crime scene camera. We need to push this to the TV studios so they can work it into their scripts, as well as to medical examiners, forensic pathology laboratories and police departments.
Yes it does record tilt and azimuth. Don't know if it would work as a crime scene camera though as the numbers can be totally wrong now and then, even if it does work most of the time.

There is some cool software (which name I don't recall right now) which not only displays the position from the GPS coordinates on a map, but also draws a cone from that position in the direction recorded by the compass, and the cone width depends on the focal length used. So everything in the cone should be in the frame of the photo.
04-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LOL. Yes the first ADA approved adaptive full frame camera. They may be on to something! Retired baby boomers with disposable income and time to travel may be a potentially huge untapped market segment🙂 I already appreciate the option to enlarge the font for the menus and rear LCD.
04-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
My knees aren't so bad, but the hereditary hand tremor is. The five axis stabilization may be the deciding factor
A friend who has a mild Parkinson's tremor shoots Nikon stabilized long lenses with great results.