Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K1 in infrared and ultraviolet

Has anyone heard (or better, experienced) how well the K1 will shoot in IR or UV without removal of the blocking filter?

My K10 was pretty horrible, though with vastly better sensitivity and resolution, the K1 might be OK for playing around, even if it blocks as much as the K10...

I'm mostly interested in black and white infrared, and I can filter that now. For UV, I'm just curious and haven't wandered down that path yet...

Thanks,

-Eric

04-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Might be a bit early yet, as no one has actually tested a production model. And those that have handled pre-production ones are not talking. And likely have other things to test besides IR & UV. But an interesting question that might take a while to get answered.
04-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I imagine if it was sensitive to IR or even HA wave length they would be advertising it as such. Since they are advertising everything else astro related from star trails to astrotracker to the leds to shoot at night. Of course I'd love it if it was a little sensitive to HA but I'm not holding my breath.
04-17-2016, 02:28 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Has anyone heard (or better, experienced) how well the K1 will shoot in IR or UV without removal of the blocking filter?

My K10 was pretty horrible, though with vastly better sensitivity and resolution, the K1 might be OK for playing around, even if it blocks as much as the K10...

I'm mostly interested in black and white infrared, and I can filter that now. For UV, I'm just curious and haven't wandered down that path yet...

Thanks,

-Eric
If your going to get a K1 you can get your K10 coverted to IR only.

You can use a converted camera the same as a normal one ie hand held with the same shutter times.

06-25-2017, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bump for a good question. Anyone in the Pentax universe convert or have converted a K-1 for infrared or full spectrum photography? I had a K-01 converted and it was excellent (just did not take advantage of the sensor shift for GPS unit). I also purchased a Nikon D7100 and had it converted but it will not set the white balance internally so it has to be done in post. Strongly considering the K-1 and would like to hear about the IR capabilities.
07-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

UV requires special lenses - only quartz glass will let UV pass.
IR is a different stoy, but you would need to get rid of the IR-cutoff filter.
There are companies that shave sensor from RGB filters - that's cool - a monochrome K1 that is open to accept UV-nIR rays.
07-05-2017, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried the K-1 with a Hoya R72 filter today. I was able to get a useable B &W image using ACR/Photoshop. So, yes, the K-1 can be used for IR. However, the HD D FA 28-105mm lens vignettes pretty badly. I can't find a thread on IR-capable lenses

Does anyone have experience with full frame lenses that are suitable for IR on the K-1?

07-17-2017, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #8

The K-1 works like a dream for IR, even with just a Hoya R72. I shot these images around 7PM, and it was cloudy, but I could still focus in liveview, and the camera was able to get correct metering using the green button function. The lens on the one was a Pentax-M 28 f2.8, shot at f8, ISO200, 20 sec exposure.

---------- Post added 07-17-17 at 08:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenLS Quote
I tried the K-1 with a Hoya R72 filter today. I was able to get a useable B &W image using ACR/Photoshop. So, yes, the K-1 can be used for IR. However, the HD D FA 28-105mm lens vignettes pretty badly. I can't find a thread on IR-capable lenses

Does anyone have experience with full frame lenses that are suitable for IR on the K-1?
Just played around for a little bit, and the Pentax-M 28 2.8 and 100 f4 macro seem to have no vignetting. I would have to shoot in bright daylight to really confirm it though.
07-24-2017, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Disguise Quote
The K-1 works like a dream for IR, even with just a Hoya R72. I shot these images around 7PM, and it was cloudy, but I could still focus in liveview, and the camera was able to get correct metering using the green button function. The lens on the one was a Pentax-M 28 f2.8, shot at f8, ISO200, 20 sec exposure.

---------- Post added 07-17-17 at 08:21 PM ----------

Just played around for a little bit, and the Pentax-M 28 2.8 and 100 f4 macro seem to have no vignetting. I would have to shoot in bright daylight to really confirm it though.
K-1 is quite capable of churning out decent IR pictures

07-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
IR is a different stoy, but you would need to get rid of the IR-cutoff filter.
There are companies that shave sensor from RGB filters - that's cool - a monochrome K1 that is open to accept UV-nIR rays.
It's possible to use regular lenses with near visible UV (down to about 325nm - most of the UVA range) but a problem you run into is since UV focuses shorter than visible, you might not be able to get an infinity focus. If you are focusing on up-close objects (flowers, etc.), that shouldn't be a problem.
Any work below 300nm will require quartz or other UV lens materials $$$$.

One problem you might run into with UV is the Bayer filter and its absorption of UV so that may have to be removed as well.
12-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by StevenLS Quote
For UV and IR the FA 43mm Limited and DA 35mm seems to be a good start.