Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 Software?

Does the K1 come with the usual software for editing? I just realized that my old Elements will most likely not handle the K1 files..or will it? I shoot Jpeg + DNG but these will be very large files. I am running XP and can't run Lightroom.....so I may be in for some difficulty?
A new computer and software is not in my immediate plan, but I may have to change that...even though I am perfectly happy with XP and my current software?

Anyone else have concerns in this area?

Regards!

04-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

36 megapixel files require a lot more processing power. Elements will probably be able to handle them, but performance might become too slow to be usable in practice. Having more than 4Gb of RAM might also help of you work with multiple files at once.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I am running XP and can't run Lightroom.....so I may be in for some difficulty? A new computer and software is not in my immediate plan, but I may have to change that...even though I am perfectly happy with XP and my current software?
Might be time to go back to Mrs. Rupert and plead for a new computer.....................

XP is old and faithful. I really, really hated to move on but honestly it is a security risk and quite antiquated. I cannot say you will be happier with Windows 7 or 10 because most likely you won't. Change is hard and changing the operating system and computer and software and your backup process and re-installing everything and remembering all those passwords that are just 'in the computer' and heck you need a new monitor too. And you might as well get a calibration tool if you get a new monitor..............

But I suspect if you give it some time you would be very happy with Lightroom. It is very different than elements and some folks have trouble with the learning curve but in the end it is an upgrade you can appreciate.

Now since your current camera is banged up and the K-1 has yet to drop, now might be a good time to get that new computer and software and learn Lightroom and get ready for the K-1. Just saying................
04-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mrs Rupert has a new computer, fast, and running Windows 8...I could use it but my monitor is an ASUS color perfect 24" and I love it...as I love XP.

I'll try things out when the K1 arrives and see what happens. If it is just too slow, I will be forced to upgrade. I have over two dozen plug-ins in my old Elements and can do most anything I need with them....I sure hate to start all over, it took a long time to accumulate them and they are wonderful.

Does the K1 com with the Silkypix software? I am wondering about the Pixel Shift files......and will need something that will process them?

Regards!

04-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the K1 come with the usual software for editing? I just realized that my old Elements will most likely not handle the K1 files..or will it? I shoot Jpeg + DNG but these will be very large files. I am running XP and can't run Lightroom.....so I may be in for some difficulty?
A new computer and software is not in my immediate plan, but I may have to change that...even though I am perfectly happy with XP and my current software?

Anyone else have concerns in this area?

Regards!
As long as you are shooting DNG, you will be able to open the K1 files. You will have things slow down on you, but that's about it.
For fun, I opened a K3 DNG file on a laptop that I bought in 2003 when I bought my istD. It has Photoshop 7 loaded, which is the very first Adobe version to have a raw converter available for it.
It took forever, but it opened.
04-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does the K1 com with the Silkypix software?
The assumption would be, yes. But until someone opens a production package???

Pixel shift can be done in Silky-Pix, of course, that is the 'official' Pentax software. But I believe Lightroom can handle the K-3II P/S files so it should eventually handle the ones from the K-1 but there might be a wait until that update gets pushed out.
04-16-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your XP system will be able to open the files but I imagine it will be terrible slow compared to your K5 files. Importing your photos while take a very long time.I am not sure if your plug-ins will work for the newer versions of Elements. I use Elements 14 and it does everything I need it to do. Lightroom is my primary software. XP was a great system but way past it's time. A quad-core processor with 16 gigs of ram may be in your future. I tried to us my K3 files on my old XP laptop when I first got my K3. It was slow I gave up and went back to my desktop. It handled my K10D files just fine.

04-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know it's crazy, but I plan on using the K1 crop mode often. It will give me smaller files, like the K5IIs and that should help in processing. I'm due for a new computer and will go for the fastest and best for my needs....I just hate going through the process and starting all over. I'm like old Mr Kitty...he didn't like any changes. If I moved anything in my shop, he peed on it. I'll try not to pee on anything...even if the K1 is weather sealed pretty well.

Regards!....& Thanks for the responses here!
04-17-2016, 12:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mrs Rupert has a new computer, fast, and running Windows 8...I could use it but my monitor is an ASUS color perfect 24" and I love it...as I love XP
Maybe it time to ask Mrs Rupert for Mac?
XP was fun but it was even 64bit system, you can't use more than 4gb ram with it. Time to upgrade.
As for Win 10 it's more copy of OS X than you think, for example language/layout keyboard switching shortcut combination is same as OS X.