Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
I don't understand why you would buy a k1 pro level camera and get the "kit" lens 28-105 with it.
Because what we have seen so far from this lens is very impressive. Labelling a certain lens a 'kit' can be misleading - any lens that is sold in a bundle with a camera is a kit lens, that includes e.g. a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 that is often offered with Canon FFs on e.g. Amazon. It's still an outstanding professional (and expensive) lens though.

The 28-105 is not your average APS-C 18-55 kit lens, it appears to offer very high quality.

04-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like cameras

I am putting in an order on the K-1 because I have been telling Pentax that if they ever made one, i'd buy it. Other reasons aside, one of the better ones for me is, I want to support their decision to make a full-frame and hope they continue development on full-frame products and Lenses. I would LOVE to see a weather resist. pancake for the K-1. It would make such a great portable full frame!
I want the low light performance as well, and am going stick a few M42 screw mounts on it also. Because nothing says crazytown like a 1100mm USSR mirrored lens found on the cheap!
I know this is said, but the best lens is the one you have with you. I had a hard decision when looking at the K-1. There are some very nice Sony cameras that will fit in my pocket. The are upwards of 800$, but I would take it with me everywhere. My compromises are, I am going to force myself to not let a couple pounds deter me from taking it on a hike or weekend backpacking and that will mean I need light lenses. I have some glass that I love. All of my nice glass, is heavy glass. I have taken some of my best photos with the DA 40mm f/2.8 XS pancake. I don't bang my camera on things and it seems lighter, with the XS equipped. For me, I decided I either use my camera and lenses, or sell them and get something I will use.
Not perfect, but I need fewer hobbies.
I have also noticed, nice primes are lighter than the DA* zooms, so there's that.
Sometimes I also play a game of "What neat things can I shoot non-traditionally with these one or two lenses" Which is great, until I reaaaaaly want a telephoto.
I am also looking forward to having a body that will outshoot my lens. I've never done it before, and am curious.
I also want to 3D print a pinhole for it and another that you can slide cheap gels into (the theater light kind).
Cheers,
04-18-2016, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't think there were any bundles with the K-3 II, either. They're not awfully common with high-end bodies.

That said, I am working with B&H to see if they can put together some PF-exclusive kits, and scrape together a discount. Those won't go live until later, though.

Plus, according to Ricoh USA, they're through with the whole "launch at a high price, then heavily discount" strategy. They expect the K-1 and related lenses to maintain their price while they're on the market, similar to 645 gear. Plus, the K-1 could easily have been launched at $1999 if you look at the competition and pricing in other regions, so I wouldn't hope for any big discounts until end-of-life
They may not drop the price, but the Canadian dollar might rebound a bit. Getting back up to 85 cents US would be a $300 discount for us.
04-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They may not drop the price, but the Canadian dollar might rebound a bit. Getting back up to 85 cents US would be a $300 discount for us.

I still think the prices will decrease over (relatively short) time.. even the Z has dropped over time Pentax 645Z 51MP SLR Camera with 3-Inch LCD- Body (Black) (B00LHWDZUC) | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com

FF market is still fairly volatile compared to MF..

So their own minor discounts with a minor shift in the dollar could make for a comfortable discount for you in time..

04-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't think there were any bundles with the K-3 II, either. They're not awfully common with high-end bodies.

That said, I am working with B&H to see if they can put together some PF-exclusive kits, and scrape together a discount. Those won't go live until later, though.

Plus, according to Ricoh USA, they're through with the whole "launch at a high price, then heavily discount" strategy. They expect the K-1 and related lenses to maintain their price while they're on the market, similar to 645 gear. Plus, the K-1 could easily have been launched at $1999 if you look at the competition and pricing in other regions, so I wouldn't hope for any big discounts until end-of-life
That's really good to know!
04-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #21

Original Poster
This is killing us lately, but even with the exchange rate, the k-1 is cheaper to buy from B&H than local...i can basicaly buy the K-1 + 28-105 for the same price approx than just the k-1 alone here...
04-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't understand why you would buy a k1 pro level camera and get the "kit" lens 28-105 with it.
Might be because the lens is up to the challenge? Example photos I have seen are pretty impressive. "Kit" is a pejorative in some people's perspective, but I fail to see any logic with discounting a purpose-built lens with decent performance merely because its costs less than half as much as its faster, heavier (50%), and bulkier stablemate.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-18-2016 at 05:47 PM.
04-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MattCard Quote
This is killing us lately, but even with the exchange rate, the k-1 is cheaper to buy from B&H than local...i can basicaly buy the K-1 + 28-105 for the same price approx than just the k-1 alone here...
Not sure what you said , difference is only $120 if bought in Canada(outside Québec) versus B&H. Dont forget , we getting 2 years warranty in Canada versus 1 in the USA.
Pentax K-1 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
04-18-2016, 05:46 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I bet a K-1 with a 28-105 will give me much higher IQ than a K-3 with a 16-85 or a 50-135 and 16-50 combo or whatever APS-c you choose to throw at it.
That is my anticipation as well. When I chose the "cheap" Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) to pair with my K-3 it was not just because of its high ROI image-wise. It was because it was a better choice all around. I will likely execute similar logic in regard to the K-1 when the day comes and the 28-105 will be on the short list of normal zooms for the initial kit.

Steve
04-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Not sure what you said , difference is only $120 if bought in Canada(outside Québec) versus B&H. Dont forget , we getting 2 years warranty in Canada versus 1 in the USA.
Pentax K-1 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
True, i forgot that outside Québec taxes are not brutal I will reconsider my order thanks Bob
04-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Might be because the lens is up to the challenge?
Large download of K-1 pixel shift taken with the D FA 28-105...

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-1/ex/img/ex-pic05_on.jpg

I would expect that is good evidence that the lens is capable, at least at f/8.

Steve
04-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #27
Pentaxian

For good photographs, you need good light, good composition and it all has to click, after that, lens quality plays a part.

A K-3 is more than 99 % of the forum use. Of the 1% who use more, maybe they'll use an FF and good glass. But the vast majority of K-1 owners will be advanced amateurs who will buy one because of the great price.

I bet a K-1 with a 28-105 will give me much higher IQ than a K-3 with a 16-85 or a 50-135 and 16-50 combo or whatever APS-c you choose to throw at it.

So what I'm saying is, for the advanced amateur, good glass is an option, and the K-1 will provide better resolution and low light performance, and narrower DoF than a K-3 with the best glass available. A K-1 is cheap enough to be an enthusiast camera.

A K-1 will make every one of your FF compatible lenses better. If you happily used it on a K-3, you will happily use it on a K-1.

For me this is especially meaningful for lenses like my A-400, where the quality is a little less than my 60-250. The big question will be, which is better, my A-400 gives me better IQ on a K-1 than my DA* 60-250 does on a K-3 being approximately the same focal length. I can put the 1.4 on either. A consumer prime against at DA* zoom..

SO, can you see the potential yet?
btw, you can use your 60-250 on K-1, because it (almost) covers FF (very minor vigneting on the long focal distance)
04-18-2016, 11:20 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand why you would buy a k1 pro level camera and get the "kit" lens 28-105 with it. Glass is so important guys don't forget that. If you don't have the money for good glass wait then save and settle for the apsc lenses you have or a cheap 50mm 1.7 in the meantime. A pro camera needs pro glass end of story
The images I have seen from the 28-105 so far are spectacular. I suspect it's "cheap" only in price, and not being f2.8.
04-19-2016, 01:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't understand why you would buy a k1 pro level camera and get the "kit" lens 28-105 with it. Glass is so important guys don't forget that. If you don't have the money for good glass wait then save and settle for the apsc lenses you have or a cheap 50mm 1.7 in the meantime. A pro camera needs pro glass end of story
There are lots of good lenses without D-FA written on it too.

That said, I would like to have a WR superzoom to go with the K-1, for days with challenging weather. For instance a 28-300. I think the 28-105 is a little too short for an allrounder. I even think DA18-135 is a little to short for an APS-C allrounder. Primes (and a couple of short zooms) are my quality options that I bring when its OK to carry more.
04-19-2016, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

In France we were given the opportunity to preorder a K-1 with the 28-105mm, either in laboutiquepentax.com or at images-photo.com and to obtain a rebate on the kit.
We also could preorder a K-1 with the grip and obtain the same rebate, what I did because i have no interest for the zoom (i already own a 28-70/2.8).