Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #121
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by distudio Quote
I don't see their approach wooing anyone but amateurs with some past connection to Pentax however.

That's the market, right? It's an upgrade ... that's how the advertising's played out, like the K-1 website.

05-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's the market, right? It's an upgrade ... that's how the advertising's played out, like the K-1 website.
It may well be but in this market at least I think it's misguided. As soon as all the older well heeled buyers have dropped their cash who else will buy into the brand with lenses at those prices?
05-11-2016, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #123

Photos from the Sydney Launch

05-11-2016, 09:14 PM   #124
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

It may well be but in this market at least I think it's misguided. As soon as all the older well heeled buyers have dropped their cash who else will buy into the brand with lenses at those prices?

Most people just don't switch brands, Distudio, unless someone provides the equipment. I remember a Sony executive in an interview saying this had to be acknowledged.

Cameras are a sinking market, and all the brands are trying to make more money out of the customers they already have - 'premium' is the model.

Look at the new Nikon D500 - it's a 21Mp APS-C release, costing as much as our K-1.

Last edited by clackers; 05-11-2016 at 09:34 PM.
05-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Most people just don't switch brands, Distudio, unless someone provides the equipment. I remember a Sony executive in an interview saying this had to be acknowledged.

Cameras are a sinking market, and all the brands are trying to make more money out of the customers they already have - 'premium' is the model.

Look at the new Nikon D500 - it's a 20Mp APS-C release, costing as much as our K-1.
Not really, how many Sony 7 series users have or had DSLRs previously, people will change if they perceive an advantage.

The D500 is a hell of a camera, probably the premium APSc DSLR currently.
05-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #126
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Not really, how many Sony 7 series users have or had DSLRs previously, people will change if they perceive an advantage..

Sony camera sales fell throughout 2015. The a7 series has been bought by a number of people as an adjunct, sometimes a novelty, without really getting into their lens system, but continued with or returned to DSLRs for their serious shooting. I'm one of them.

The D500 is a hell of a camera, probably the premium APSc DSLR currently.

That's the premium strategy I was talking about.

The D FA f2.8 zooms are the same.

You don't have to buy them. But people have - their pics are easy to see in this forum.
05-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to the Camera Electronic presentation for the K1 tonight. There had a talk from Bob Litchfield who has been giving the K1 a workout over the past few days, and the State Manager of CRK and another CRK employee were also there. I guess there were about 20 punters there. There were a couple of K1's and the new lenses to play with. It is a very impressive piece of gear and the pictures are outstanding, I found the body was heavy but not over the top, but the lenses are huge......and heavy.

And for the important bit.......no I didn't buy one. But I did buy one of the Three Amigo's - the 31mm.

05-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I went to the Camera Electronic presentation for the K1 tonight. There had a talk from Bob Litchfield who has been giving the K1 a workout over the past few days, and the State Manager of CRK and another CRK employee were also there. I guess there were about 20 punters there. There were a couple of K1's and the new lenses to play with. It is a very impressive piece of gear and the pictures are outstanding, I found the body was heavy but not over the top, but the lenses are huge......and heavy.

And for the important bit.......no I didn't buy one. But I did buy one of the Three Amigo's - the 31mm.
Nice, the 31LTD is a great bit of glass, I've had mince since Feb 02, mainly used on my LX bodies but it did well on APSc too.

Bob knows his Pentax kit.
05-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Did anyone go to the K-1 event this evening at the CameraPro store in Brisbane?

QuoteQuote:
"CameraPro Presents: Pentax K-1 with Ben Messina

CameraPro, Arthur Street Store
232 Arthur Street, Newstead, QLD 4006, Australia

Thursday, May 12 2016
6:00 PM — 9:30 PM
05-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #130
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Did anyone go to the K-1 event this evening at the CameraPro store in Brisbane?
I saw notification of this event too late (emailed to me by a friend), already had the K-1 in my hot little hands otherwise Iwould have been there with bells on. :-)
05-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not really, how many Sony 7 series users have or had DSLRs previously, people will change if they perceive an advantage.
I'd say an overwhelming majority of them would be ex-Canon users disillusioned with less than stellar camera performance in the last few years. But how many would change back? That's the thing.
05-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #132

Towards the end of the evening I managed to try out the K1 with DFA24-70 F2.8 at the Sydney launch.
It is a very nice piece of kit.
Did not have to much time with it as I did not want to hog the camera so did not get to play with all the new features, buttons, dials or menu options in detail but general feel and layout makes you feel right at home for Pentax users.

In the below DropBox link is two images taken on the evening. Images are nothing special but if anyone wants to have a look and play with them go ahead.
Jpeg and raw files are there for your use.
Raw-->Jpeg processing in ACR is limited to. Temperature = 5500, tint = 15, camera profile = embedded. No further pp done. Raw files attached if anyone wants to have a play with the files. Will take the files down in a week or so.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tvv1wffwdu9z22t/AAC5EVhH_olrP2_otXZh1B-Ea?dl=0

I enjoyed the evening. Great location and weather, free drinks and food, free bag of goodies, got to have a brief use of the K1 and the big boss himself even came along! I appreciate CR Kennedy and DigiDirect hosting such events. A lot nicer than some launches I have been to. Was interesting to see a fair few camera brands being used by those in attendance.

Cheers