Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've owned many RRS L-plates. Lately, their designs fit securely only on RRS quick release clamps. On other clamps (especially the cheaper ones) they do NOT seat firmly.

For example, such was the case with my RRS K3ii L-Plate. On more than one occasion it came out of the non RRS QR clamp - if not for my catching the camera it would have hit the ground.

05-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have had my plate loosen up in an Induro clamp
Things stay tight enough in warm weather..
I recall having trouble only when it is chilly

I figured the grease in the clamp was cold, I would tighten things up, the grease would loosen, and bad things would happen. Of course, I don't know if thick grease is the culprit, but I do know the trouble arises in cold weather...
05-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #18

I am sure I am not the only one to receive the RRS L plate by now but I will give my initial impressions.

Like all RRS products it fits great and has zero wiggle. I had been using a "universal" L bracket for my K5 and now my K1 and it certainly fits the camera much better. Until other companies come out with some K1 specific plates this will probably be the best option. I do have a couple minor quibbles that I will likely not even realize once I use it enough. The bracket sticks off the back of the camera ever so slightly on the vertical portion of the plate. I have small hands/fingers and find this still makes it a bit tougher to pull the screen out. Those with larger fingers definitely may have an issue with this. Also, because of the way I hold the camera it makes it more difficult to engage the LV button. Again, this is due to my smaller hands and the grip I am accustomed to using but I imagine after some adjustment time this would not be an issue.

Honestly, there was really no other way for them to design this plate, however, due to the placement of the ports. Their options were to either design it to stick off the back or to block the ports and the prior definitely makes more sense.

What are others finding on this plate?
05-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I received mine last night. I had a Desmond DAL-1 on the K1 (DAL-1 at Amazon) that was serving the purpose as long as you did not need to access any of those covered ports. It would also slip a bit until I placed a thin sheet of rubber material between the plate and camera. But the DAL-1 would be a very cost effective solution if you could do without those ports on that end of the camera.

All in all, I think RRS plate is a great fit. The tabs to lock the plate in place fit into that small indentation just below the center of the screen on back of the camera.

And like turff, I find that the vertical portion of the plate does protrude ever so slightly from the back of the camera, but in order to access those covered ports, I don't see any other way this could be.

It seems to fit just fine in my Acratech GPSS ball head. Will have a better assessment in a few weeks.

I also sprung for the Magpul sling, which I'm thinking will be getting a lot of use, since I was looking for a sling type of strap. The inclusion of the QD mount on the plate made this a no brainer for me.

Some photos of the backet on camera: RRS BK1

Last edited by dhodgeh; 05-20-2016 at 07:38 AM.
05-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
RRS has pictures of their plate available
(previously, they had a drawing
RRS - Plates for Pentax K-1

The plate looks very nice and weighs less than my plate for the K-5
Great

The bottom part of the L, the plate for the base of the camera, does have a screw hole. However, the side of the L is not tapped for a screw. This is a question I had failed to ask...

What follows below is not general information and will be of less interest to most people... it is about my use for the bracket. The bracket is less useful to me and my special case (cobbling together gear for single row panos) but it still looks like a good product. If I used clamps like a normal person rather than trying to save weight with screws.. the bracket would have no negative points :^)

The bracket for the K-5 had both sides of the L tapped. With small lenses like the 77 or 21, I was able to use a 2.25 inch rail (really a mounting plate for a tripod head) screwed to the L and take portrait oriented single row panos with very little parallax error. A tidy kit.

Using a larger 31mm lens, I knew I would need a little more length on the rail. For the K-5, the 73mm rail would work so ? I ordered that. Well, the K-5 plate is tapped at the front but the K-1 plate is not. So, I would need longer than 73mm and the K-1 plate is not tapped to screw the rail on in portrait orientation anyway... anyone need a 73mm rail? :^)

I will have to get a rail with a clamp...
They have one, of course, that is almost the exact length I want and adds less than 2 ounces.
05-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #21
Pentaxian

.....Hummm this seems actually quite flexible and light :

RRS - QD Strap & Plate

Interested to know if it fits well on K-1's very thick body...
05-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I thought this thread was going to be about driving a Range Rover Sport (RRS) on a learner's permit.

05-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Plate has arrived

Well, the plate arrived. They must have sent it out the next morning.

It weighs dead on 2.9 ounces for both pieces and this includes the captured mounting screw
This is 1.3 ounces less than the model for K-5
It is very low profile and a casual glance would overlook it mounted to the camera, I think.
It is pretty...

The little rubber door looks accessible with the portrait part of the plate in place. I haven't opened that door and likely never will.. There is a pin that mates with a pinhole on the base of the camera. There are two small tabs that fit in the recess at the bottom of the flippy-leg screen. They don't take up enough room to prevent any finger using the recess to deploy Sputnik. The portrait portion of the L extends past the side of the camera but not as much as the eye cup so there is no added depth and it does not restrict movement of lunar lander IV. The portrait portion is keyed so the single screw holds it in place with no twisting.

The model for the K-5 stood proud enough that I used it for a left hand grip. This new design only has room for my fingertips but it still helps me hold the camera during image review and is similar in use to the little finger ledge on the K10/20.

I do wish the L portion of the bracket to be tapped so I can screw a rail to it but the design is so thin that it is clear there is no room for a screw hole. There may be room for the depth of the screw but it would then not be possible to open up the little rubber door so omitting the screw hole makes sense.

The only thing I dislike is that it doesn't appear to be square to the camera. The portrait portion looks squint. However, I think this is an optical occlusion... Every way I can think of to check if the plate is square has me believe it is. The way that side of the camera is designed creates the feel that the plate is tilted inward.

I like it.

---------- Post added 05-23-16 at 05:13 PM ----------

Oh.. I failed to properly refresh the page and hadn't noticed dhodgeh and turff had posted above..

Yes, the design makes it hard to pry up the screen using the recess on the left side. However, I am able to first pry up the right side of the screen with my right hand thumb (it is just a little farther reach past the WB button) and then grab the screen with my left hand and swing it about. Maybe this will do?

---------- Post added 05-23-16 at 05:18 PM ----------

dhodgeh, included with the plate is a small hex head screw.
Do you know if it is for the strap attachments >?

Last edited by Tan68; 05-23-2016 at 04:14 PM.
05-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tan68,

The mount(s) for the QD strap is engineered in the bottom of the plate. Those two holes at the opposing corners is where the strap attaches without any other necessary hardware.

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of that small hex screw. Maybe I should contact RRS for an answer.
05-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #25

Really Right Stuff K-1 L-Plate

Just received mine yesterday

The Pentax K-1 is an amazing camera and one of its best features is the Pixel Shift settings. For this to work properly you have to use a tripod and this L Plate works perfectly on the K-1. Don't cheap out and buy something from China, buy the real thing. It is extremely well made. You invested in your camera, now invest in a great plate. Essential for the K-1.

On a tripod, use live view. Then you can easily make sure the camera is level by using the level information on the screen. Makes panoramas, particularly portrait view, really easy.

Get this L-Plate. You will love it.

Price was $120.00
05-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of that small hex screw. Maybe I should contact RRS for an answer.
Same here. If you figure it out, post here. Overall I'm very happy with mine. I don't think they could've done much better. I also sprung for the magpul strap. I like slings but don't like always having to unscrew the attachment every time I want to mount to a tripod. This is a great solution.
05-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's the answer about the small screw that is included with the RRD BK1-L:

"That small M3 screw is a safety stop screw to use with the base plate - since your BK1-L is a modular L-plate set the base can be used alone.

When using just a base plate, and tipping the ballhead into portrait mode, that screw would sit at the top end of the plate and help prevent it from sliding out of a partially opened clamp by accident.

If you're using the L-plate you don't really need to worry about using that screw, since portrait mode is achieved with the clamp still upright. "
05-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #28
Forum Member

I look at the RRS option. Looks really good that they adopted a relatively slim design.

I also have the Promediagear Universal L-Bracket for bodies without a battery Grip, and it fits the K1 to a T! What I like about it is that the bracket allows me to move it closer to the mount area versus having the plate closer to the screen (which is at the back of the camera). With the heavier lenses, such as the DFA lenses, I would prefer the plates are shifted closer to the lens mount section. Will post a shot when I get the opportunity.

The Promediagear one has rubber gaskets on the plate which grips quite tightly to the camera body to ensure no unnecessary twisting of the plates just like what the dedicated plates does. And in practise it seems to really work too .. This is unlike most universal L brackets. One up for the Promediagear guys.

There's 2 things that I didn't quite like - One is the relative thickness of the plates compared to most on the market. But even then, it's particularly useful if you use nodal rails with integrated clamps, and you want to mount square filter holders. The other is the center markings on the Y-axis, as it'll not be the absolute center for the K1 (it's universal L-bracket for a reason).
05-25-2016, 09:28 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Interesting, are you talking about the 3" model ?
05-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I thought this thread was going to be about driving a Range Rover Sport (RRS) on a learner's permit.
Lol , Ron the really right stuff L-Plates are really well made. hell all their stuff is over engineered. Just wish they released ,Them for K-5 + Grip. ��