Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Focus Peaking

My friends.
After K200D and K5...

I have finally discovered focus peaking. ITS SO FREAKIN AWESOME >_<. Whoa. Pairing my M50 1.2 and the K1 , with live view with enlargement + focus peaking - i am INVINCIBLE. *SUPERPOWER*

This manual 50 1.2 on the pentax is running circles around my D800E with my 50mm 1.4G that can barely focus at times.

Last edited by D4rknezz; 04-29-2016 at 07:54 AM.
04-29-2016, 07:55 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In that case you should just give me your old d800e and 50 1.4G.
04-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to hear! Argh, now I can't wait to try it out once my K-1 arrives!
04-29-2016, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #4

is there a video or something of the sort that shows the focus peaking in action? Would be nice to see how pentax implemented it in their latest model

04-29-2016, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
My friends.
After K200D and K5...

I have finally discovered focus peaking. ITS SO FREAKIN AWESOME >_<. Whoa. Pairing my M50 1.2 and the K1 , with live view with enlargement + focus peaking - i am INVINCIBLE. *SUPERPOWER*

This manual 50 1.2 on the pentax is running circles around my D800E with my 50mm 1.4G that can barely focus at times.
You wouldn't already be a Canadian owner of a K-1 now, would you?
04-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You wouldn't already be a Canadian owner of a K-1 now, would you?

Niagara

Yesterday night, without pre-order! The only copy in store, haha.
Well, the store owner just jot down my number and told me when he got one he'll give me a call so I can see it.

So he called me in the afternoon, and I said to hold it for me, i am not just going to come see it - i am taking it home!

I guess they ship one or two units to small towns first - then all the large pre-order from the big names.

---------- Post added 04-29-2016 at 01:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by quh86 Quote
is there a video or something of the sort that shows the focus peaking in action? Would be nice to see how pentax implemented it in their latest model
I have no time to play with it right now, but if no one puts it up, i'll try and get something on sunday. Though, i am not sure how recording the back LCD works.
04-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by quh86 Quote
The implementation has been the same since the K-01, where you get a white outline around edges that are sharp.

Without peaking:

With peaking:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Originally posted by jpzk You wouldn't already be a Canadian owner of a K-1 now, would you?
Niagara
Yesterday night, without pre-order! The only copy in store, haha.
Well, the store owner just jot down my number and told me when he got one he'll give me a call so I can see it.
So he called me in the afternoon, and I said to hold it for me, i am not just going to come see it - i am taking it home!
I guess they ship one or two units to small towns first - then all the large pre-order from the big names
So lucky you are!
I'm not in the market for a K-1 but I sure will be looking forward to all of the users' pictures taken with this camera.
You are in a great place for great shots: the falls!!
Cheers!
05-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #9

Yeah, the default behavior of focus peaking is very effective. Able to focus lenses like Komura 100/1.8 with it, easily.
09-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always read it as focus peeking...... by peaking they mean highlighting apparently.
09-01-2016, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

A useful tip with focus peaking is to also enable 'Highlight Alert' in your Live View settings [Rec Mode menu > Tab 5 > Live View > Highlight Alert > On]. It can add a little extra emphasis to the peaking display.
09-02-2016, 08:50 AM   #12

The usefulness of the peaking is perhaps the biggest surprise in obtaining the K-1. I came from the Sony A7r and several other mirrorless formats, and can't believe how comparatively impractical their implementation is of it. Sure, peaking could be put on a higher mode, but then it distracts when using AF lenses. Here, it's unobtrusive and doesn't distract with color patterns.
09-09-2016, 01:28 PM   #13
Forum Member

Could someone explain me how I turn on the magnification in combination with focus peaking? I have looked for Thijs option everywhere in the menu's, but to my frustration I cannot find it

Thanks!
09-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lampo Quote
Could someone explain me how I turn on the magnification in combination with focus peaking? I have looked for Thijs option everywhere in the menu's, but to my frustration I cannot find it

Thanks!
First focus peaking should be enabled in menu.
Second while in live view just press OK button.
Third use rear mode dial to change magnification level.
09-10-2016, 03:19 AM   #15
Forum Member

Thanks! But this is done manually after focussing, I thought there was also a setting where the magnification is automatically activated when the shutter is pressed halfway. But perhaps I am misstaken.

The reason I ask, is because of the narrow field of depth when I use my old manual lenses. Focus peaking is great, but when the subject is further away, it is still hard to see when focus is correct.