Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #16
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, lemmesee. When the price comes down and I finally get a K1, yes, I will always shoot in full resolution.

Until.

The.

Next.

Bigger.

Sensor.

Comes.

Along.

And then I will be shooting in that full resolution.

Whatever it may be.

04-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

About JPG lower resolution settings... they are L, M, S, XS, but how many megapickles in each? Can't seem to find specific info.
04-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I've downloaded a couple of full resolution shots and done my typical cropping...which is usually a heavy crop, and found that the images hold up very nicely. Shooting in full resolution or in the crop mode gives a nice option.

Most all I shoot is for posting and not print, so I think I will gain some benefit by the larger files.

Regards!
04-30-2016, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #19
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
About JPG lower resolution settings... they are L, M, S, XS, but how many megapickles in each? Can't seem to find specific info.
[35mm Full Frame]
JPEG: L(36M:7360x4912), M(22M:5760x3840), S(12M:4224x2816), XS(2M:1920x1280) RAW: (36M:7360x4912)
[APS-C size]
JPEG: L(15M:4800x3200), M(12M:4224x2816), S(8M:3456x2304), XS(2M:1920x1280) RAW: (15M:4800x3200)

So there is JPG as an option.. if you're OK with poopy jpgs

04-30-2016, 09:51 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I'm told that the frame rate on the K-1 is limited by the speed with which data can be read off the sensor. It is not caused by the eventual size of the image file (whether raw or JPEG). (Assuming the memory card is fast enough).

If true, then the maximum rate remains at: 4.4 frames per second if the JPEG is based on the whole sensor, and 6.5 frames per second if it is based on the central APS-C portion of the sensor.

Having smaller JPEGs would enable the camera to shoot continuously for longer. But I'm not aware of any way of exceeding those limits. If there were a way, I think I would have heard about it.

Here is the specification.
Thanks very much for your guidance.
04-30-2016, 12:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eliphas Quote
So, will you shoot at max res all the time?
In almost all cases, I will be shooting in FF, maximum resolution mode, capturing both DNG and JPG.

The only exception is when I create still frames for a time lapse video/animation with an involometer. In that case, I'll shoot in HD res.
04-30-2016, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
If you're talking about protecting your images in case of drive failure (mirrored drives) and backing up everything then it's absolutely not cheap. I recently shopped for a smallish 2 drive mirrored enclosure with 6TB drives. It was !$1000 with non-Enterprise level drives. This system would be home to all of my images plus videos, music, and documents, and most people could get away with smaller drive capacity, but if you want something reliable and redundant, not cheap.

Edit: I should add that the cost above doesn't include space for backups, though technically if you're running mirrored drives you always have a current copy.
Pardon me but I do have to chuckle a bit about storage costs. I just retired from doing field service for commercial printing companies. When I started in 1999, I was an on site dedicated service rep for a huge commercial printer that printed magazines like People, Newsweek, Time, US News and World Report, Wired, Sports Illustrated etc. They had a state of the art 20 drive RAID. It could hold an astounding 64 gigibytes of data. The individual drives were SCSI drive that cost over $1,000 dollars apiece. From the RAID, data was transferred to an automated tape storage device the size of a telephone booth, or the Tardis. It was pretty awesome for it's day.

When I purchased my first personal computer in 1983 it was a Radio Shack Model 4 with 64K of RAM and two 184 kilobyte floppy drives.. It cost $2,000. When I was at the store there was a box sitting next to the computer. It was about the size of the original IBM PC and cost $2,300. I looked at and said wow. A 5 megabyte hard drive, My wife said what does that mean. I said it was like having infinite storage.

In keeping with the thread title, If/when I get an F1 I will mostly used it at full resolution. And use pixel shift wherever I can.

04-30-2016, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #23
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Pardon me but I do have to chuckle a bit about storage costs. I just retired from doing field service for commercial printing companies. When I started in 1999, I was an on site dedicated service rep for a huge commercial printer that printed magazines like People, Newsweek, Time, US News and World Report, Wired, Sports Illustrated etc. They had a state of the art 20 drive RAID. It could hold an astounding 64 gigibytes of data. The individual drives were SCSI drive that cost over $1,000 dollars apiece. From the RAID, data was transferred to an automated tape storage device the size of a telephone booth, or the Tardis. It was pretty awesome for it's day.

When I purchased my first personal computer in 1983 it was a Radio Shack Model 4 with 64K of RAM and two 184 kilobyte floppy drives.. It cost $2,000. When I was at the store there was a box sitting next to the computer. It was about the size of the original IBM PC and cost $2,300. I looked at and said wow. A 5 megabyte hard drive, My wife said what does that mean. I said it was like having infinite storage.

In keeping with the thread title, If/when I get an F1 I will mostly used it at full resolution. And use pixel shift wherever I can.
You're getting an F1? Is it this one Forbes Welcome ??

I remember those old Radio Shack days too.. hard drives were too expensive back then so there was the process of cold booting (floppy disk in the drive then powering the computer on -- for those not familiar), getting to the DOS prompt, then switching disks to the application (singular) we wanted to load. Want to access a different app? Ok, switch disks to the one(s) that have your app on it, type in the executable file name <enter key> and wait for it to load.

eerrrnt errrnt eerrrntt chk chk chk chk chk errnt errnt errnt

The real 'fun' was if your app (or in my case game) required multiple disks.. games such as Kings Quest were on a good dozen disks. So you had to swap periodically while playing the game. And let's hope none of the disks get corrupted or its game over. literally. no way to load the next stage.

I don't miss those days computer wise.
04-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You're getting an F1? Is it this one Forbes Welcome ??

I remember those old Radio Shack days too.. hard drives were too expensive back then so there was the process of cold booting (floppy disk in the drive then powering the computer on -- for those not familiar), getting to the DOS prompt, then switching disks to the application (singular) we wanted to load. Want to access a different app? Ok, switch disks to the one(s) that have your app on it, type in the executable file name <enter key> and wait for it to load.

eerrrnt errrnt eerrrntt chk chk chk chk chk errnt errnt errnt

The real 'fun' was if your app (or in my case game) required multiple disks.. games such as Kings Quest were on a good dozen disks. So you had to swap periodically while playing the game. And let's hope none of the disks get corrupted or its game over. literally. no way to load the next stage.

I don't miss those days computer wise.

OOOOOOPS! I meant K1. I wouldn't mind have an F1 race car for tooling around though. It would be the ultimate chick magnet. But at my age I cannot remember if that is a good thing or not.
04-30-2016, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I remember those old Radio Shack days too.
Ugh. Don't remind me.
04-30-2016, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #26
mee
Veteran Member

wow 15 MB.. that's like the servers at NASA.
04-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #27
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I wouldn't mind have an F1 race car for tooling around though. It would be the ultimate chick magnet. But at my age I cannot remember if that is a good thing or not.

How about the McLaren F1 road car?

04-30-2016, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

I have sold all but 2 of my aps-c lenses. I see no reason to ever go back.

36 MP or bust.

I haven't decided what to do with my K3 yet. It may be an "In case of emergency break glass" body. But it won't be in my bag.
It can keep my Sigma 50-150 and 17-50 company on the shelf.

As far as file size, I have an Alienware PC the size of a small car to handle the processing.
04-30-2016, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #29
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
How about the McLaren F1 road car?

Please click the link in my post above (Forbes)
04-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I've played with a K-1 raw on my 2009 iMac and it seems fine.... so no real difference to me between K3 files and K-1 (given you are accepting slowish processing anyway.).