Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This can't be fully automated in LR yet, unless I am missing something.
You are correct, though full automation is probably not a good thing. I am running LR 5.6 and did my research last night to see what is possible with that version. I was hoping that crop could be saved as part of a pre-set to be applied on import. Unfortunately, that is not the case. What my version LR does support is the ability to apply aspect ratio as a symmetrical crop using the Quick Develop feature.

Not having a K-1 at hand (one can only wish, eh?), I can see something like the below being a workaround for those who need a specific aspect ratio for printing, albums, or whatever:
  • Compose using a square grid in Live View. Alternatively, make one's best guess in the optical viewfinder.
  • Import into LR as usual. Lightroom should display the imported images in the Library view when done.
  • Select the images to modify
  • Expand Quick Develop/Crop Ratio and choose one of the several available presets for crop ratio. A custom ratio may also be defined. Lightroom will apply the selected crop as a batch operation.
  • The alignment of the crop may be adjusted as needed in the Develop view

Steve

05-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #32

Look at this shot of the Live View grid from an earlier thread. Looks to me the left and right boundries of the grid define where a 1:1 crop frame would be. I guess it's too difficult for a visually oriented photographer to visualize the line extending over the full view.

There is a photo of a slide from one of the seminars given by Ricoh on the K-1 showing a 1:1 frame on the slide. It's in some other posts but I haven't found the links at the time of writing this. I'll refer rather to the seminar that was videoed at CP+ and is available on YouTube and the Pentax K-1 Special Site (see Events).

At around 45:25 Tanaka Kimio discusses the crop modes. Below are screen caps from the video (in time sequence).

No 1:1 crop listed only Auto, Full and APS-C

Then it appears (around 48:08) Mr. Tanaka goes on to discuss DA lens performance on full-frame. It is in this context that the 4:3 frame appears (an earlier version showed 1:1). Notice the 4:3 frame is in red. In illumination mode all the lines on the LCD turn red. This slide is only shown in context to DA lens performance on FF.

I suspect he is discussing "safe zones" and the 1:1 area was too limiting which is why he revised the presentation.

Perhaps someone will translate the video and captions on the slides to tell us what the context of the 4:3 frame is. No one has reported a 4:3 crop mode in any of the pre-production or production models AFAIK (other than for in-camera JPEG editing).

From what I can gather (taking PF ratings system)
solid red circle = +++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
pink circle = ++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
triangle = +: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
triangle = o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
square = -: not usable

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/31629-da-lenses-f...ts-thread.html