Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ginnipe Quote
The way I see it, Pentax should market itself like Subaru does.
PENTAX: The New England Solution. Chicadee = MessyChewBits state bird; Cod = state fish; American elm = state tree; Boston terrier = state dog; Subaru = (unofficial) state car; PENTAX = STATE CAMERA!!! I can live with it. I'll carry my Pentax as proudly as I drive my Forester.

05-05-2016, 04:08 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Subaru is capacity locked. They can't make another car to sell. Not one more.
03-03-2020, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I think by 'entire planned production run' he means the grand total, i.e. all bodies produced until the successor comes out and it is discontinued.

That is quite realistic. Considering the price of 645Z and that it probably never pays-back for its development, but was important as technology/brand demonstrator.

Btw check this: Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

K5 is very dominant, other models lagging. I believe that low-end users mostly do not care about pentaxforums, so cameras like K50, Kx, Kr, K200D, K100D were also quite successful.

K1/K1II production would reach something like 25-30k per year, 40k in peak. First two digits in serial number are year code or series code.

That is very low production rate, but corresponds to numbers of these cameras that can be seen in public.

Question is how profitable this is. Considering that development took over 5 years (all the HW development, SW development, testing, prototype builds etc. ) and then factory implementation (toolings, where even small plastic part tooling is around $20 000 at least each). Then squeeze some margin in it and still pay for manufacturing costs, materials etc. Risky bussiness.

Camera company needs to sell 200k+ per year or more like canikonsony to be profitable... but this probably was only reached by K5, K3 and low-ends.
03-03-2020, 04:00 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
That is quite realistic. Considering the price of 645Z and that it probably never pays-back for its development, but was important as technology/brand demonstrator.

Btw check this: Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

K5 is very dominant, other models lagging. I believe that low-end users mostly do not care about pentaxforums, so cameras like K50, Kx, Kr, K200D, K100D were also quite successful.

K1/K1II production would reach something like 25-30k per year, 40k in peak. First two digits in serial number are year code or series code.

That is very low production rate, but corresponds to numbers of these cameras that can be seen in public.

Question is how profitable this is. Considering that development took over 5 years (all the HW development, SW development, testing, prototype builds etc. ) and then factory implementation (toolings, where even small plastic part tooling is around $20 000 at least each). Then squeeze some margin in it and still pay for manufacturing costs, materials etc. Risky bussiness.

Camera company needs to sell 200k+ per year or more like canikonsony to be profitable... but this probably was only reached by K5, K3 and low-ends.
I'm sure the 645Z has paid back its R and D long ago. A lot of its development was shared with the K3, it sold for a good price, and it has been on the books for 6 years. The cameras which are tough to make money on are the 350 dollar entry level ones, but here, I think Pentax did pretty well.

03-03-2020, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Camera company needs to sell 200k+ per year or more like canikonsony to be profitable...
Why not a million? From each model? Why not 100 billions? If you're making up numbers, at least be ambitious!

Profit is not generated solely by numbers; indeed, many very high quantity products generate little or no profit at all. And - do you even have a clue about what kind of margins they had on the 645z? (hint: not the same as on the WG series).
01-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I came across this link from the official Ricoh Imaging Japan website in the German Pentaxian forum:
translate.google.de/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&u=http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info/2016/20160218_010433.html
States that the initial monthly production is 7,000 bodies.
Strangely this number is published only in the japanes language press release. In the english one they didn't tell about it.
news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2016/20160218_010432.html