Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2016, 01:13 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPR Pixel Shift Comparison

Hey guys,

DPR just posted their first studio test of PixelShift resolution ... and its flawed. It seems they have used a faulty FA 77mm, because the corners look awful compared to the nikon shot, and generally the picture is not very sharp. One of their staff, Barney Britton, wrote: "And yes - we need another sample. And there's one on the way."

Click

if this has been posted before please delete.

05-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Forum Member

That center detail is unreal, though. Sharper than the 645z, even!
05-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. Looking at the sketch left of center, you can see moire creeping in with both the 645z and the D810, but not a hint with the K-1, and resolution looks better. I definitely want to see the update when they get a good lens.
05-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Forum Member

I'm a bit p****d they would even publish this comparison! There is obviously something not right with the lens copy they used (77mm ltd) as one of the DPR staff mention farther down in the comments. But why publish it then?

Without pixel shift the D810 and Sony look far crisper in their comparison
On the other hand, if pixel shift can get that much out of bad copy, imagine what it will do with a good lens?!
DPR says they have another copy on the way, so hopefully these poor non-pixels shift results get rectified soon.

05-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

The pixel shift is incredibly impressive in RAW when just looking at the center. The Beatles patch is pretty amazing. Good job Pentax. I may end up with a K1 after all
05-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
amusing that 23 members over there supposedly already "had" K-1's that they don't have anymore.
05-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
amusing that 23 members over there supposedly already "had" K-1's that they don't have anymore.
It's always like that on DPR. Even before a new camera is on the market, you'll find people claiming they had one. Some folks are just odd, and the Internet seems to exacerbate their afflictions.

05-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It's always like that on DPR. Even before a new camera is on the market, you'll find people claiming they had one. Some folks are just odd, and the Internet seems to exacerbate their afflictions.
I was thinking maybe it's a C/N fanboy tactic trying (unsuccessfully) to make it look less desirable...
05-06-2016, 03:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I was thinking maybe it's a C/N fanboy tactic trying (unsuccessfully) to make it look less desirable...
Nowadays, C/N fanboys tend to keep a lower profile on DPReview because they fear to get spanked by S fanboys!

Cheers!

Abbazz
05-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
hey guys, judging by the commentary it looks DPR has updated the K-1 shots, of course without any further announcement from DPR themselves, they wouldnt admit their tests were faulty, would they..

anyways, this comment by left eye i found very interesting. Can somebody else confirm this perhaps?

QuoteQuote:
Ok, the K1 RAW's have been updated.
So I've redeveloped them, and in comparison to the D810, the K1 is stunning!

Tried 100 ISO and 800 ISO.
ACR:
Shadows +14 (all other settings centred)
Sharpness, 40% 1pix, Detail 50, Colour Noise 10 (all other settings centred, no luminance noise reduction etc)

The amazing part is the very very very low noise of the K1 (I'm comparing the 800 ISO). Yes the D810 looks sharper (and many suspect this is the lens), but as another poster here raised the D810 RAWs look like they have extra 'in-camera' sharpening applied [there's no such thing as totally RAW, on-chip electronics lend they 'magic'] - you can see more of a contrast bounce around sharp edges of D810 RAWs that you might expect. Anyway if you increase the ACR sharpness of the K1 RAWs, Sharpness, 65% 1pix, Detail 60, in terms of detail its then a match for the D810 but still with much much lower noise! + lower than the A7RII !

Good job Pentax, you've certainly fine-tuned that sensor.