Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 02:15 AM   #76

For a Crop & FF camera I wouldnt look at it to buy new / second hand body IF you cant get a grip for it

01-17-2017, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by teiki arii Quote
Hi photoptimist,
I disagree with you and I wrote a review about the Grip D-GB6..

That Grip is not so heavy considering other brands'...

The grip is nonetheless more comfortable...

yes it is with the Pentax K-1 according to other brands (D810, 5DMKIV)... Besides, it is cheaper than other brands'...
That's a nice review and I'm sure many agree with you.

Some people do prefer a physically larger camera. But, personally, I don't. I don't like how the larger Nikons (D3, D4, & D5) and Canons (1D) feel -- too heavy, too big, too awkward. And if I were to switch brands, I would NOT buy a grip for that camera, either.

I always hike/walk with my camera palmed in my left hand -- supported under the body if the camera has a small lens (e.g., 50mm f/1.2), supported out under the lens if it's large (70200 f/2.8), or somewhere between the two if there's a walk-about zoom on. For that way of carrying the camera, a grip is in the way. I like having the lens barrel nearly flush with the bottom of the camera.

For switching between portrait and landscape, I find it easier to just bring my right hand up and over with the camera and lens sliding/rotating in the palm of my left hand. That way, both hands are always on the camera and the right hand fingers never leave their buttons. Both positions are comfortable for me for long-term shooting and it's easy to flip back and forth as the compositional requirements of the scene change.

For batteries, I seldom shoot more that a few hundred photos in a day and always start the day with a fresh battery. On days when I do shoot more, there's always some break in the action when I might notice the battery is getting low and swap it out. I don't remember ever running out of juice at a bad time so the added battery in the grip adds nothing for me.

But these are merely my personal preferences and other people have other preferences based on how they like holding/using the camera or the volumes of photos they take.
01-17-2017, 08:46 AM   #78
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dfp771 Quote
I used the grip on my K-5iis once. Didn't like the added weight. The extra battery is nice but I prefer a lighter camera when I'm shooting
Same here with the grip on my K10. I prefer less weight, as I have some heavy lenses. If I plan on a lot of shooting, I just take an extra battery with me.
01-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
But these are merely my personal preferences and other people have other preferences based on how they like holding/using the camera or the volumes of photos they take.
I completly agree with you! It's up to your habits. I just wanted people to know a different point de vue for them to know pros and cons about it. I would add something: I had two Canon EOS 6D, one with and the other without a grip. I prefered the one without a grip. But for Pentax, as I wrote ("I didn't know before having one how crucial I found it"), I prefer with..
Just for people to take my opinion and my experience in consideration, even if it's not their taste...

01-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having tried to shoot with my K-1 + D-FA* 70-200'both with and without a grip, my arms get tired much faster shooting without a grip, so it's worth it for working with that lens, and for the extra battery life when working in below freezing temperatures.
01-27-2017, 12:21 AM   #81
Site Supporter

I love the grip on my K-1. I have big hands and ergonomically I feel that they really got this one right.
01-27-2017, 01:51 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm with those who use a grip. I have small hands, like child-sized small and didn't bother getting a grip for my K5. Shooting portrait style with my wrist bent at a horrible angle gave me pretty bad carpal tunnel. When I got the K3 bundle, I toyed with the idea of using the grip. I'd put it on for a day, then take it off for a week, then back on for a few days. Now I don't know what I'd do w/out it. No more numbness in my hands or shooting pain from my elbow down; shooting portrait style and I find I have far less straightening to do in PP. The extra battery comes in handy when you leave your spare ones and chargers in a different state while on a road trip!

01-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
I'm with those who use a grip. I have small hands, like child-sized small and didn't bother getting a grip for my K5. Shooting portrait style with my wrist bent at a horrible angle gave me pretty bad carpal tunnel. When I got the K3 bundle, I toyed with the idea of using the grip. I'd put it on for a day, then take it off for a week, then back on for a few days. Now I don't know what I'd do w/out it. No more numbness in my hands or shooting pain from my elbow down; shooting portrait style and I find I have far less straightening to do in PP. The extra battery comes in handy when you leave your spare ones and chargers in a different state while on a road trip!
So is this what divides us? I have never found the grips useful and always have sold them after trying each for a few weeks. I do not like the extra size or weight.I have assumed that the strong preference for the grip is mainly from people with large hands. But I do not shot a high percentage of portrait orientation shots. Perhaps the strong preference is mainly by those who do shot a lot in portrait orientation, where the grip is clearly useful.
01-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Perhaps the strong preference is mainly by those who do shot a lot in portrait orientation, where the grip is clearly useful.
Absolutly, this is it!
01-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
So is this what divides us? I have never found the grips useful and always have sold them after trying each for a few weeks. I do not like the extra size or weight.I have assumed that the strong preference for the grip is mainly from people with large hands. But I do not shot a high percentage of portrait orientation shots. Perhaps the strong preference is mainly by those who do shot a lot in portrait orientation, where the grip is clearly useful.
This is the first grip that I have used, on the K1. Part of the reason is that I found portrait shooting very uncomfortable, and I want to expand my shooting style. I have large hands, but didn't find the bodies uncomfortable for landscape.

I've found added benefits along the way. It hasn't come off other than for accessing the body battery.

But there is a cost in weight and size.
04-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #86
Site Supporter

I have used Grips on my now defunct K-20D and K-7 very sparingly. I now have my K-7, K-S2 and soon a K-1. As the K-S2 does not take a Battery Grip, and I have tripod quick release plates fitted to both bodies and my 125-500 lens, it is easier to swap batteries than to remove the plates.
04-23-2017, 07:04 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Way too many answers. Who is gonna read all this.
Get a grip and try yourself. K1 is OK without grip, but larger lenses are no fun without grip and big hands like grips. Grip balances really large glass on gimals nicely.
11-04-2017, 11:21 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know this is an old thread, but ...

I wonder how many here who said they would never use a grip on the K-1 would change their minds if they knew it could help get sharper images due to the additional shutter shock dampening from the added camera mass. ;-)
11-05-2017, 03:46 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rickster Quote
I know this is an old thread, but ...

I wonder how many here who said they would never use a grip on the K-1 would change their minds if they knew it could help get sharper images due to the additional shutter shock dampening from the added camera mass. ;-)
There has been a couple of posts suggesting this benefit.

The problm with handheld shutter shock is that it seems lens dependent, with the 28-105mm being the worst offender. I don't see any handheld issues with primes or the D-FA 24-70

I am not sure if on a tripod, with a longer lens (attached by the lens foot), which is where I notice shutter shock (1/60-1/200), would benefit either, but then I don't have a grip to test it out.

Last edited by pschlute; 11-05-2017 at 03:52 AM.
11-05-2017, 04:54 AM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the K1 with a Sigma 70-200/2.8 without the grip. I realised that by taking out the tripod collar, it is so much lighter to use now.