Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
Don't know how many folks on here shoot weddings, but I gave my K-1 a workout the day after it arrived and wanted to give my first impressions. I was going to have it for my second camera because I was nervous about using an unfamiliar camera for such critical pictures as a wedding. Just looking at the pictures on the back of the screen, the K-1 was outperforming my K-3 so much that I ended up using the K-1 for all important shots.

My first impression when looking through images is, "Where are the out of focus shots?" Seriously, even when the af doesn't seem that much faster in certain situations, it is so accurate that I am completely blown away.

Obviously, the high ISO is amazing, I probably don't even need to comment about that.

The tilting screen was my biggest surprise of the day. I have never used live view before. Today, I went crazy with it for detail shots that I would have formerly had to get on chairs to get. I think I'll have to start trying it with people. Focus is great in live view.

It's intuitive. Coming from a K-3, I didn't have to read a manual to figure out how to do everything I needed to. Some things that bothered me initially I am really starting to like, such as the different spot for the playback button. The focus select being a black square took some getting used to. If I am pointing the camera at dark objects I can't always see where my focus point is until it lights up. I like the square the rest of the time, though, and the camera knew where the focus point was even if I didn't.

I had done another wedding in the same church less than a year ago. I just really hope the brides don't compare wedding pictures, because the ones from today are that much better! In particular, the earlier time the walking in pictures were soft because I had a strong backlight from a door and the camera struggled. The backlit shots today were amazing and the camera didn't hesitate a bit.
Thx - I have a wedding coming up in a couple of weeks and the K-1, with the higher MP for detail, is going to be the go-to for wide-to-normal shots. Maybe a few tele if time allows.

But the reminder about better high ISO performance makes me think twice about shooting the Sigma 70-200 on the K-5. That would mean buying two K-1's to avoid lens swapping.

Hmmm. What an amazing problem to have...

05-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #17

thank you walro!

Thank you Walro so much for taking the time to post a detailed response to my questions, it's greatly appreciated
Based on what you've described, the AFC performance of this camera is very encouraging indeed. The situations you described in which you shoot are similar to what I'm often shooting in, so your feedback is particularly valuable to me. Thanks again for taking the time! --Mark
05-08-2016, 08:14 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Pictures as promised. If anyone could explained to me why my shadow areas darken when I export to jpeg, I would appreciate. They look fine in lightroom.

These are all k-1 with 24-70 unless stated otherwise.

The happy couple. K-1

This was my worst processional picture. I had literally gotten into place, whipped around, saw the bride's mom, and had one second.

Jumping action of the groomsmen with bride, impressively sharp at 100%.

Walking from the side. Usually straight on is easier for me than this type of shot, but they are razor sharp at 100%.

I haven't had a chance to sort through all these pics so I think some eyes might be shut, but this is bridal party at 24mm.

Love the narrow depth of field with full frame. I believe this is at 70mm f 3.5.

Just to show the kind of conditions with the backlighting. This picture they were almost on top of me. I have to take pictures from the back of the church, so I don't have a whole aisle in which to get these shots. Obviously, focused on her.

Recessional

Detail shot shooting from above. These were on top of a barrel.

Amish grandmother, 3200 ISO, with the 200mm

Cute little girl, also 3200 ISO, also the 200mm

The 24-70 is great on the K-3 as well:

Another detail shot I was able to get using live view:

And, lastly, I stepped out the church door for a second during the ceremony to this, taken with the k-3 and the 200mm. I didn't even notice the juxtaposition with the power lines till afterward.

---------- Post added 05-08-2016 at 11:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ontariomark Quote
Thank you Walro so much for taking the time to post a detailed response to my questions, it's greatly appreciated
Based on what you've described, the AFC performance of this camera is very encouraging indeed. The situations you described in which you shoot are similar to what I'm often shooting in, so your feedback is particularly valuable to me. Thanks again for taking the time! --Mark
Regarding the flash, I've been trying out the Pentax 540 on the K-1 in TTL just here in the house, and it is beautiful. I think I will never put the flash on the K-3 again! Actually, I think I have to have a second K-1. Time to start charging more.

---------- Post added 05-08-2016 at 11:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
Thx - I have a wedding coming up in a couple of weeks and the K-1, with the higher MP for detail, is going to be the go-to for wide-to-normal shots. Maybe a few tele if time allows.

But the reminder about better high ISO performance makes me think twice about shooting the Sigma 70-200 on the K-5. That would mean buying two K-1's to avoid lens swapping.

Hmmm. What an amazing problem to have...
Ricoh Pentax will be very happy we are having this problem. I ended up using the K-3 with the tele during the ceremony when I felt like I needed the extra reach from crop sensor, and then using it on the K-1 during reception.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by walro; 05-09-2016 at 07:10 PM.
05-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #19

great news on the flash performance

thanks Walro for posting those photos from the wedding--they're great! Looks like an awesome combo for weddings. So glad to hear the flash is working so well--especially valuable information for me since you noticed the delay on your K3 and I have the same flash. There are no K1's available within 2 hours driving of where I live, so thank you again for this feedback
--Mark

05-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Nice wedding shots, and an interesting community to photograph.

I notice you are still using Lightroom v5.7.1. It may be worth upgrading to the current Lightroom v6.5.1. It now has K-1 support.
05-28-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #21

Last edited by marinhaker; 05-28-2016 at 02:35 PM.
06-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #22

I have a wedding come up in two weeks time - I'm nervous as this will be my first Pentax wedding!

I've a K1, K3ii, AF540FGZ version 1 and AF540FGZ version 2.
Lens wise I've the 15-30 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and the three amiga FA limited.

I'm considering shooting the 24-70 and 70-200 on the k1 and 31mm/77mm on the k3ii.

I'm a little worried about the comments with respect to shutter lag with k3. Does the k3ii have the same problem -i'm unable to test where I am currently!

If anybody else has similar kit setup, can you advise how you have configured for wedding shoots.....

Thanks,

Tom.