Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2016, 04:35 AM   #1

Pentax K-1 and AF500FTZ flash

A user of K-1 reported at the facebook Pentax Full Frame group that his 500FTZ flash exposes properly with his K-1. During the discussion, it remained unclear how exactly this is possible, so can anyone test this? Does the K-1 really expose properly with a TTL only flash?

Here's the link to the discussion on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/549293095245068/permalink/586606681513709/

05-08-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not a Facebook user, so I didn't read the thread, but does the 500 have a program flash mode?

That would get in the neighborhood of correct exposure without TTL...

-Eric
05-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I'm not a Facebook user, so I didn't read the thread, but does the 500 have a program flash mode?

That would get in the neighborhood of correct exposure without TTL...

-Eric
Nope, I am fairly sure that series lacks auto. That model has ttl and manual. My 330 has only manual full power and ttl. The 500 has several manual power settings.

Oh and I am a Facebook user, but it is a closed group. So I don't know what was claimed.

---------- Post added 05-08-16 at 09:44 AM ----------

This says there is an auto mode. I need to hunt down a manual. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/293726-pentax...ave-flash.html

---------- Post added 05-08-16 at 09:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nope, I am fairly sure that series lacks auto. That model has ttl and manual. My 330 has only manual full power and ttl. The 500 has several manual power settings.

Oh and I am a Facebook user, but it is a closed group. So I don't know what was claimed.

---------- Post added 05-08-16 at 09:44 AM ----------

This says there is an auto mode. I need to hunt down a manual. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/293726-pentax...ave-flash.html
I don't see anything but ttl and manual in the flash manual PDF. http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/pentax_af500ftz.pdf
05-08-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
[/COLOR]
I don't see anything but ttl and manual in the flash manual PDF. http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/pentax_af500ftz.pdf
Maybe it's a camera function, not a flash one... For some reason I'm thinking that's how my K10 worked with my AF280... The camera would set an aperture based on the power output of the flash, not on how much light came back during the actual exposure...

And my 330 does the same on my K01, IIRC.

I'll have to dig them out and try it...

-Eric

05-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe it's a camera function, not a flash one... For some reason I'm thinking that's how my K10 worked with my AF280... The camera would set an aperture based on the power output of the flash, not on how much light came back during the actual exposure...

And my 330 does the same on my K01, IIRC.

I'll have to dig them out and try it...

-Eric
I own 2 or 3 330's and as far as I recall they are full power or ttl only. I don't recall getting any nuanced flash out of either with P-TTL DSLR's.
05-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deepbluish Quote
Does the K-1 really expose properly with a TTL only flash?
As noted above, the AF500FTZ does not support P-TTL and has no provision for auto-thyristor flash automation. That aside, it does support the digital flash protocol and should operate as a dedicated flash on all Pentax dSLR cameras. What this means is that it at very least it may be used as a fairly nice speedlight (power level control to 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32) that will communicate flash ready to the camera and will also auto-set the shutter to the x-sync speed and will fire as a fully manual slave to an on-camera flash. What intrigues me is the possibility of support for multiple burst, the various sync modes, and/or operating as a slave to a P-TTL unit for contrast control (that last is unlikely).

Steve
05-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

For some reason I'm thinking that's how my K10 worked with my AF280... The camera would set an aperture based on the power output of the flash, not on how much light came back during the actual exposure...
It depends on the flash mode. The AF280T is an analog protocol TTL flash with auto-thyristor support. Strangely, Pentax dSLRs support the analog protocol for both flash dedication and the auto-thyristor function. The flash signals the appropriate aperture for the chosen flash range when in the "auto" modes and the camera obeys. Body support varies by exposure mode, but overall, the AF280T is a very practical option.

Steve

05-08-2016, 08:52 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, the AF500FTZ does not support P-TTL and has no provision for auto-thyristor flash automation. That aside, it does support the digital flash protocol and should operate as a dedicated flash on all Pentax dSLR cameras. What this means is that it at very least it may be used as a fairly nice speedlight (power level control to 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32) that will communicate flash ready to the camera and will also auto-set the shutter to the x-sync speed and will fire as a fully manual slave to an on-camera flash. What intrigues me is the possibility of support for multiple burst, the various sync modes, and/or operating as a slave to a P-TTL unit for contrast control (that last is unlikely).
In all the ways as Steve has said the AF500FTZ works as a very nice dedicated manual flash on all my Pentax DSLRs including the K1 and are brilliant manual slaves. I have 4 of them as my go to slaves.Yes the multiple burst and sync modes work on all of them as well. As for working on the K1 inTTL and exposing correctly, they will fire in TTL,the camera settings such as ISO,Fstop etc and lense Zoom will alter the settings on the flash correctly but the flash will only fire at full power and therefore will only expose correctly at the maximum range calculated by the flash. The flash range perameters are calculated and displayed at the bottom of the flash screen as I have outlined on the phone picture of my K1 and one of my AF500FTZs.

Glenn
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D6503  Photo