Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
masking
Exactly. It'd be neat to see in future FF models the ability to program sequences of shots as a user mode. I'd like to automatically take a pixel shifted shot and a regular shot or bracketed set all in one shutter release. I did this combo manually yesterday. I wanted to try using pixel shift for subject isolation, so subject was pixel shifted while the foreground and background were hdr/bracketed. So used one user mode for the pixel shifted shot then switched to the next user mode over for my bracketed set. It worked of course, but I would prefer to not touch the camera in between these shots (especially in this circumstance where I just had the camera sitting on a table)...

For some reason the pixel shifted tif image after processing in DCU and rawtherapee didn't align in gimp with the tif that I processed in photomatix and rawtherapee and were actually pretty far apart... The dng's perfectly aligned though... I'll have to pay more attention next time I want to try something like this to see where it goes askew... I'm suspecting DCU since I've done the same type of procedure without DCU plenty of times without it changing..

05-23-2016, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just a note to those linux users who use Tom Vijlbrief's fork of dcraw for Pentax Pixel Shift files called dcrawps: his original code worked fine for the Pentax K3-II but could not read K-1 pixel shifted files. That has now been rectified and it works perfectly with the K-1 output. The new dcrawps source code is here:

https://github.com/tomtor/dcrawps

Click on the Download ZIP link, extract the files, then compile the source code using the following:

gcc dcraw.c -o dcrawps -lm -ljasper -ljpeg -llcms2

then copy the dcrawps binary to a safe place such as /usr/local/bin
05-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I think Pixel Shift is only good for truly static subjects in controlled (mostly indoor) conditions. But that's good enough
That's exactly what I thought when discovered PS "cubed" artifacts on the running water fountain, and slightly moving flowers. Actually the flowers were kind of cool I used tripod.

Ok, I just noticed when I downloaded DNG files in LR to show artifacts here, LR made pictures perfectly normal, there is nothing to show you. I got what you, guys, are talking about. Because I initially did not downloaded those files, I did not notice it before, just now.

eta: I got it from the screen capture, here it is, flowers and water how I see it in LR before downloading:
Attached Images

Last edited by micromacro; 05-23-2016 at 06:49 AM.
05-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Here is after downloading:

Attached Images

05-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use the DCU to generate a TIFF file and then do anything further to that file in Lightroom. ... I didn't bump up the sharpening on either image, but when I zoom in, I can just see the texture on the paper and everything looks crisper with PS than without it. That said, I think non-pixel shift images are adequate for 98 percent of imaging needs.
I use a similar workflow. DCU to generate TIFF but then I go to Capture One Pro. I don't think that CO supports Pixel Shift Resolution so I guess the first image of batch is shown. I took my test image with K1/DFA100WR - dng 164.2 MB - tiff 217.1 MB! After a little bit tweaking micro contrast of the dng file (not pixel shifted) the tiff and dng looked like twins at 100% - didn't see an important difference in details. Going the tiff route means we have to choose sRGB or Adobe RGB color space. Raw converters like Capture One don't use this restriction when they work directly on raw data. So maybe potentially there can be lost image information using tiff as intermediate format that isn't lost going directly the raw route with one image file?!

After this experience and when I think of memory/storage cost I'll surely consider pixel shift only if the scene shows very very much texture.

Does anybody know if we can split the one pixel shift file into four dng's with the different image data of the captures? I didn't find an option in DCU. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by acoufap; 05-24-2016 at 01:26 AM.
05-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like dcrawps mentioned above can do this using the -s <number> option.
05-23-2016, 03:29 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed, dcrawps can split a multi-layer file into its component files. I also was remiss in not mentioning that there is also a Windows executable available at the github website.

05-24-2016, 01:32 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Looks like dcrawps mentioned above can do this using the -s <number> option.
Thank you - I'll check it for my Mac. IMO the split should be an option within DCU.
05-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Just a note to those linux users who use Tom Vijlbrief's fork of dcraw for Pentax Pixel Shift files called dcrawps: his original code worked fine for the Pentax K3-II but could not read K-1 pixel shifted files. That has now been rectified and it works perfectly with the K-1 output. The new dcrawps source code is here:

https://github.com/tomtor/dcrawps

Click on the Download ZIP link, extract the files, then compile the source code using the following:

gcc dcraw.c -o dcrawps -lm -ljasper -ljpeg -llcms2

then copy the dcrawps binary to a safe place such as /usr/local/bin
Could you compile a 64bit windows executable?
05-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I cannot. Best way forward would be to request the author if he could provide one.
05-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No need to. Just follow the link in jbinpg's post to the github page and find the reference to (both 32bit and 64bit) Windows binaries at the bottom of the page.
05-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #42

Those were created in February, the K-1 compatible code was uploaded 2 days ago.
05-24-2016, 03:39 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for pointing this out - I just wondered why I could not see any motion in my K-1 file ...
I'm sorry, but I have no compilation environment for Windows, so can't help with binaries. I'll switch back to my 'native' OS meanwhile.
05-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have contacted the dcrawps author and asked about the possibility of updated Windows binaries for the K-1. Will let you know what he says.
05-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just heard back from the author. Updated Windows binaries are now available on his github site. - Jack