Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by JBox Quote
The other day I was using a circular polarizer. Just now I tried some quick tests with both a circular and linear polarizer, both forwards and backwards and didn't see any blackouts. Only the usual polarizer effects. Although I might have done it wrong or the effects could be subtle.
As a follow-up, I experimented with the circular and linear polarizers again more carefully and was not able to blackout the viewfinder or see any consistent dimming. I don't think there are going to be any practical issues with the viewfinder and polarizers.

05-25-2016, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I was an early adopter of the K20 when it was released and was thinking I'd wait for firmware updates and price breaks before buying a K-1. Surely after being happy with the K20 for 8 years I could wait a little while longer, right? Haha nope! Stumbled upon a K-1 that had been put on hold and never picked up, store was happy to sell it to me, so I pulled the trigger.

The exact same thing happened to me: I was waiting a few hours for the battery to fully charge so I set it to MF and threw on my FA* 31mm... blurry, couldn't focus far, dark... uh oh?!?! Then I found this thread and calmed down.

The second thing I did once the battery was in (after verifying my 31mm would still focus) was turn off the "always on" LCD display. Do people really like having a large, bright, high res LCD displaying trivial information right below their eye when they're looking through the viewfinder? I thought maybe it would be like a phone where the screen turns off when it's up against your ear, but it doesn't, so I'm really confused why this would be the default behavior.

The other thing I noticed right away is that when I pick up the camera / move it around and it's turned off, it feels and sounds like the sensor is loose and moving around inside. Is that normal?
05-26-2016, 05:48 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I too come from the K20D and I am missing the very useful compare mode of two pictures. Same thing as Compare Mode in Lightroom.

Is this feature hidden somewhere or do they really have removed it?
07-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #19

Original Poster
To revive an old thread, I have been wondering about my DA lenses on the K-1. So I set up a test with one of my primes on the K-1 in crop mode, and on the K20 at various apertures. This was not a controlled setting being outdoors with small changes in lighting. Also, I have no special software than what came with the K-1 to compare the raw files precisely. I had expected a marked improvement with the K-1 in crop mode over the K20, but the difference was minimal. I tried to match the sharpness settings as best as I could. Certainly at higher ISO the difference should be noticed, but at low ISO, the K20 could be greatly enlarged in printing anyway.

Has anyone compared the K5 series against the K-1 in crop mode? I would be curious to see some test examples with sharp lenses.