Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #241
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many out there have an actual problem with a Sigma lens on the list?

I have a Bigma 50-500 HSM OS and though it is a very close fit there is no scratching or difficulty in mounting/removing. Have others actually checked their Sigma lenses for a problem?

I can tell you for certain I would live with a tiny scratch before I would send off my Bigma for repair and be without it for who knows how long. A tiny scratch is nothing. I intend to keep my K1 and use the damn thing until it wears out...or I do, a little scratch matters.....not at all! I take pictures, I don't collect pristine bodies as a hobby.

So would you send her back to the factory if she had a little scratch? You'd be the only one to know it anyhow....you lucky devil!

Name:  Model.jpg
Views: 4309
Size:  123.2 KB

Regards!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-12-2016 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Inappropriate content.
05-12-2016, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #242
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You need a DFA 150-450 Rupert, and I need the subject of your last picture.
05-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
So would you send her back to the factory if she had a little scratch? You'd be the only one to know it anyhow....you lucky devil!

No need to send her back I think she's OEM.
Thanks Rupert for putting some sense in this thread.

Glenn

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-12-2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: To remove content from quoted post
05-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #244
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
would live with a tiny scratch before I would send off my Bigma for repa
exactly! I even thought sanding the camera cover a little bit if necessary. The mark on the pictures is very minor so I believed I didn't have to sand down much. But actually my 85/1.4 does not scratch k1.
I am not worrying about it unless the camera stops the lens from mounting or the force might damage the mount on camera and lens.

05-12-2016, 06:30 AM   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But, that said, in my original reply to your post I hadn't realised what @monchrome stated - ie. that the Sigma lenses are outside the published K-mount specification. If that is the case, then Sigma has technically mis-sold their K-mount lenses as K-mount compatible. Sounds like Sigma is going to make good on the modifications, though, which is great news.
That was exactly the main point of my post, and an earlier post I made last night!

Either Sigma knew what the specification was and chose to go outside it, or they did not know the full specification (perhaps because they wouldn't pay Pentax for it) and had to guess but guessed wrong. Either way, I think they know they messed up and will fix the lenses for free though it may take quite a long time.
05-12-2016, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #246
Site Supporter

Some 15 pages ago I grew tired of the "who's to blame" discussion. We are facing a situation that may or may not be a real issue. I agree with a all of you who say that you can live with a tiny scratch. If a camera doesn't get scratches, it's probably not used at all. What I'm worried about is if this contact issue will affect functionality. So more from those of you who has got the K-1 and listed lenses. Particularly you who have experienced functionality problems with your Sigmas.

Personally I'm all for third party manufacturers and open standards. It's a significant part of what drives development and Sigma fills holes in Pentax's product line (booth regarding spec and price).
05-12-2016, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #247
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Thanks Rupert for putting some sense in this thread.
Okay, now this thread is getting scary.
When Rupert's posts are the [comparatively] sensible ones the thread has gone over the top.

05-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Okay, now this thread is getting scary.
When Rupert's posts are the [comparatively] sensible ones the thread has gone over the top.
and his K-1 sqirrels are looking much nicer....

anyway..... my Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM OS blah blah is working fine and hasn't scratched..... so I'm moving on
05-12-2016, 07:02 AM - 2 Likes   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Okay, now this thread is getting scary. When Rupert's posts are the [comparatively] sensible ones the thread has gone over the top
I'm happy he posted a picture of a girl not a squirrel.

Glenn
05-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #250
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote
That was exactly the main point of my post, and an earlier post I made last night!

Either Sigma knew what the specification was and chose to go outside it, or they did not know the full specification (perhaps because they wouldn't pay Pentax for it) and had to guess but guessed wrong. Either way, I think they know they messed up and will fix the lenses for free though it may take quite a long time.
Gotcha. Apologies for mis-reading it - I'll go back to sleep now!
05-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #251
Pentaxian

I can tell you for certain I would live with a tiny scratch before I would send off my Bigma for repair and be without it for who knows how long. A tiny scratch is nothing. I intend to keep my K1 and use the damn thing until it wears out...or I do, a little scratch matters.....not at all! I take pictures, I don't collect pristine bodies as a hobby.
I never even try to sell one of my cameras because they look pretty rough after I have used them for a while. My K5 has survived a motorcycle crash and is still working although not to pretty looking anymore. If that little scratch is all this is going to amount to, it won't interfere in any way of me purchasing a K1 in the future. I own a couple of the lenses on the list. I would be much more worried that the stress in the mount area might cause some problems down the road in a year or so which is a good reason I would think to get the lenses fixed.
05-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #252

I have the SIGMA 35mm f1.4 and indeed I can see a tiny scratch on top of the mount. I'm guessing this is due to the white blob sticking out of the lens to align the lens and the mount correctly. The scratch is not deep and once done the blob doesn't touch the body anymore. I had no contact/freeze issue with my K-1, and the Sigma look amazing in this body.
05-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #253

QuoteOriginally posted by FtYoU Quote
The scratch is not deep and once done the blob doesn't touch the body anymore. I had no contact/freeze issue with my K-1, and the Sigma look amazing in this body.
Could you post a photo of the scratch?
05-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #254

Administrator, this thread needs to be closed and erased. We have people talking about taking a Dremel tool to their cameras.

The thread needs to be replaced with a sticky that says Certain Sigma Lenses may cause a barely visible scratch on some K1 bodies. These are the lenses. Sigma acknowledges this is their fault and is working on a fix.

DO NOT DREMEL YOUR CAMERA. YOU WILL VOID THE WARRANTY AND VERY LIKELY DAMAGE THE CAMERA BY GETTING TINY METAL CHIPS INTO IT.

A dremel tool will cause a thousand times as much damage to the camera as mounting an interfering Sigma lens.

Last edited by HoustonBob; 05-12-2016 at 09:24 AM.
05-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter